Author Givi S250 Toolbox Install - S250 Kit & Stock Triumph Pannier Racks  (Read 2396 times)

• Offline JG_XRT   us

• Explorer Master  ‐    614
    • Topic Author

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Up the Irons!
    • Bike: 2017 XRt
    • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
    Givi S250 Toolbox Install - S250 Kit & Stock Triumph Pannier Racks
    on: August 01, 2021, 02:59:50 pm
    August 01, 2021, 02:59:50 pm
    This install pertains specifically to the Givi S250 toolbox and S250KIT mounting kit and the stock Triumph pannier racks.  Might have some utility for other systems. 

I had wanted one of these for a while, but have been too cheap to buy one.  I did find the box and mount cheaper on Amazon than some other sites, and with faster shipping that is the route I chose.

A couple of things to consider if you are thinking about installing one of these- be sure it's what you want, and have an idea of what you want it for.  Obviously, you want to be able to store more stuff.  But due to where it mounts and the restricted access to the opening, what you want to store inside and what you can store inside may be completely different.  My air compressor fits inside the box.  But with the box mounted, there's no way for me to get something of that size out of (or back into) the box.

First, I bought the S250 toolbox and the S250KIT mounting kit:

There may be other kits available; I didn't check.

I checked everything out, and everything seems to be of good quality.  The box is sturdy and pretty roomy.  The lock comes with two keys, and is very stiff.  Maybe that will get better over time.

The instructions that come with the unit are heavy on drawings, light on written information, but fairly easy to sort out.

I started by removing the LH pannier.  Then removed the 2 screws that hold the lower pannier mounts in place.  The kit comes with 2 longer screws to replace the stock pieces, and the directions indicate you will need to tap the holes.  But the stock Triumph racks are already threaded, so you can skip that part.  Bolt the mounts back on using the longer screws.  There are two thick washers/spacers that go on next, then the mounting plate, then two locking nuts two hold that in place.

This is where I noticed the problem:

The mounting plate goes in with plenty of room to spare.  However, the stock Triumph bracket have a bar (in the red square) that the aftermarket units must lack.  The mounting holes for the toolbox are too high- the tool box hits the bracket before its mounting bolts can match up with their associated holes (see below):

So I unbolted the bracket and ended up drilling two holes (5/16" diameter) 1/2" inch above the holes in the mounting plate.  I drilled the holes slightly larger than need to provide a little wiggle room in case the mounting plate needed to be moved slightly.  The stock holes appeared to be slightly oval shaped for the same purpose. 

Stock plate:

Modified plate:

Once that was done, I checked the fitment of the toolbox again, and it fit just fine.  You may possibly want to drill the new holes either slightly higher or slightly large to  give a little bit of clearance between the toolbox and the Triumph bracket....this is how my install lined up:

You may also want to test fit the plate without the use of the spacers between the rack and the plate, or get longer bolts or regular (thinner) nuts for securing the lower mounting holes on the plate.  The bolts are not long enough to engage the nylon locking insert on the nuts provided.  I think I will eventually get longer bolts, but currently I just have them snugged up and used thread locker (on all of the nuts and bolts) to prevent loosening.

There are two support bars that go non next.  The front one goes on without issue.  The kit provides two pieces of tape to protect the frame; once you determine where the braket is going to mount to the frame, tape it and install the front bracket.

Now, the rear bracket will not mount as intended due to the lowered position of the mounting plate:

Here, there are a few options:
      1.  Don't use the rear bracket all.  I think the unit would be fine without out it.  Up to you.
      2.  Cut off or modify the reflector mount so you can install the rear bracket as Givi intended.  I was reluctant to do this.
      3.  Mount the rear bracket vertically.  This is the method I chose.

If you loosen the the screws that hold the locks in place on the upper rail (in the yellow boxes in the above picture) you can fit the bracket around the top rail, so your mounting points look like this:

Don't forget to re-tighten the bolts for the pannier locks!

You can now mount the toolbox to the plate and make sure everything fits correctly. 

Before you mount the toolbox to the plate, you may want to reverse the bolt that holds the LH rear pannier frame to the bar that runs between the LH and RH frames (so that the rounded Torx bolt head is facing the toolbox and the nut is facing the rear of the bike); this will make it easier to get the toolbox cover on and off in the future!  You will also want to decide if you want the divider plate in the toolbox- once installed, you can't take the plate out or put it in without dismounting the box.

I went through all of the bolts and use thread locker on them.

The kit comes with four o-rings to install between the box and the mounting plate- I opted not to use those and used silicone sealer instead.  I should have noted earlier- you will have to drill the holes in the tool box for the mounting bolts. Very straightforward.  The box is clearly marked- just make sure you drill them on the correct side of the box!

Once all the bolts are snugged up and secure, you can install the cover plate to hide all of the unsightly hardware.

However, you will need to modify the mounting plate cover- it won't fit since the mount sits lower than intended. 

I used a Dremel and cut off the lower portion of the cover:

Trimmed:

Not pretty (I can't make pretty), but it works.

Bolt on the cover and you're done!

Rear view of the mounted box:

The bolt inside the red square in the above picture is the one I reversed to make it easier to remove and install the cover.

Cover installed:

I am not certain how "waterproof this box is.  I think it will handle rain, but I gave the back of the box a direct blast from the garden hose, and I had water inside after that.  I'll be putting anything that goes int he box inside ziplock bags.

So many roads, so little time.

• Online tdragger   us

• Explorer Member  ‐    56

Online tdragger

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: 2023 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: FREDERICKSBURG
    Re: Givi S250 Toolbox Install - S250 Kit & Stock Triumph Pannier Racks
    Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 09:21:33 pm
    November 28, 2022, 09:21:33 pm
    Is the toolbox cover symmetrical where you can install it with the key at the top or on the bottom like you have it?  All of the reference pics that I've seen have the key located at the top.

I'm picking up a Gen 4 GT Explorer with the Triumph bags and mounts and would like to add a toolbox.
    -------------
    James Epley IBA #609
    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200 GT Explorer
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE
    Iron Butt Rally Finisher - 2019, 2021 (Gold)

• Offline JG_XRT   us

• Explorer Master  ‐    614
    • Topic Author

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Up the Irons!
    • Bike: 2017 XRt
    • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
    Re: Givi S250 Toolbox Install - S250 Kit & Stock Triumph Pannier Racks
    Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 02:45:38 pm
    November 29, 2022, 02:45:38 pm
    Yes, you can install the cover with the lock at the top or the bottom.

It may or may not require more fidgeting with the cover to get it to go on one way or the other.
    So many roads, so little time.