Author Topic: Key code ?  (Read 952 times)

Offline Cush1465

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XrX
  • City / Town: Leeds
Key code ?
on: August 10, 2021, 07:05:07 PM
I recently purchased a Tiger 1200 XrX and it wasnt until the deal was done that I learnt the bike only came with one key ie the so called Smart Key.
I have managed to get in touch with the previous owner who gave the spare key to a guy that bought the side panniers. He has since found his old Triumph key fob that came with the bike with a metal tag on with a four digit code.

Firstly: Could this be the key code that I will need to obtain a spare key
Secondly: Will I be able to order the spare key with a 'transponder' in order to start the bike.

Keyless ignition is totally new to me and to be honest I'd prefer it didnt have it !

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Key code ?
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 08:50:28 PM
If you go to your dealer with the wireless key they can supply and code one or two more passive keys for you. Don't lose your current key though, do that and you are screwed. The keys given away with the panniers can start your bike, be careful. Get two more passive keys and get the dealer to link them to your bike. Only three keys can be paired at any one time and this will remove the other two keys linked to your bike. Test both the new passive keys before you leave the dealer to prove they work.
Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 08:53:06 PM by XCaTel

Offline Cush1465

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 07:55:43 AM
 :084: I visited a Triumph dealer yesterday with the smart key but was told I needed the key code which at the time I didnt have. Im now hoping the 4 digit code the previous owner has found on a metal tag is in fact the key code and I might be able to make progress.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 12:22:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Cush1465 [+]
:084: I visited a Triumph dealer yesterday with the smart key but was told I needed the key code which at the time I didnt have. Im now hoping the 4 digit code the previous owner has found on a metal tag is in fact the key code and I might be able to make progress.

The 4 digit code on the tiny metal tag is your key code.

Unless, of course, the PO just liked to collect little metal tags with numbers on them.  Then it could be anything.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Cush1465

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 06:33:06 PM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
The 4 digit code on the tiny metal tag is your key code.

Unless, of course, the PO just liked to collect little metal tags with numbers on them.  Then it could be anything.

Good news ! Had a call from lad at Triumph dealership in York who confirmed the 4 digit number the previous owner gave me is correct the key code. As a result, Ive been able to order a pair of keys which can then be paired with the smart key I have. £101 is a bit pricey but worth it for peace of mind.

Thanks to you all for your replies  :152: :152: :152:

nonskid