Author Topic: Test rode Tiger 900 GTpro and news on the 1200  (Read 3626 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Test rode Tiger 900 GTpro and news on the 1200
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 08:23:31 PM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
:0461:

Which is why now when I think of downsizing, I'm giving serious consideration to upsizing instead to the Pan American instead.  Don't have to give up any power, and still get a bike I can move around the garage easily.

It was an absolute blast to ride.
Looks like the N. American allotment of Pan Am introductory models is sold out for 2021 according to HD.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 12:09:36 AM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Looks like the N. American allotment of Pan Am introductory models is sold out for 2021 according to HD.

That's great for HD and good for those of us who would like to see a performance oriented American motorcycle.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 12:14:27 AM
My wife used to ride, but she wasn't doing enough miles to keep her skills up. She was nervous, so then I was nervous.

We ran into similar issues.  Denise (while she had the skills) just didn't ride enough to keep her confidence up, and we sold her CB500F a couple of years ago when Can-Am introduced the Ryker.

If your wife hasn't tried one of these, maybe you should give one a try.  The base models are great, and the Rally is phenomenal.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 12:55:03 AM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
We ran into similar issues.  Denise (while she had the skills) just didn't ride enough to keep her confidence up, and we sold her CB500F a couple of years ago when Can-Am introduced the Ryker.

If your wife hasn't tried one of these, maybe you should give one a try.  The base models are great, and the Rally is phenomenal.
The base price is pretty attractive on the Ryker models...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 12:05:42 PM
The base price is pretty attractive on the Ryker models...

Denise loves her Rally edition (I do too!).

She went from being very timid on two wheels and struggling to keep up to having a blast on on 3 wheels and really enjoying the ride. 

And sometimes, making me catch up to her.   :001:

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 07:39:11 PM
So I had a second test ride today this time with the boss as pillion. The good lady found it as comfy as the Explorer and thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
Before I left I asked the sales person to put the bike in Sport and ruder and pillion on the preset for the suspension.  Had a great ride  the bike rode every bump really well, acceleration was not compromised for having a pillion and we both found it superb.
Yes it gets a little vibby at around 5000 revs plus on acceleration but that's a V twin characteristic isn't it? It certainly didn't put me off  just needed to give it more revs instead. I do need to learn how to use a quickshifter properly as clutch gear changes were smoother due to my poor technique. Apparently you just pin the throttle and leave it there  :001: :001:

Oh, when I got back we checked the settings and the bike had been in solo rider not 2 up with medium on the dampening. Very impressive.

I'm going to be getting one as it has all the kit of my explorer and more with a massive weight loss.
Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:41:06 PM by mjab
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #26 on: September 19, 2021, 09:07:00 PM
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
I'm going to be getting one as it has all the kit of my explorer and more with a massive weight loss.

That is great mjab, I really liked the GT Pro when I rode it and the weight loss is welcome, enjoy!  :491:

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Reply #27 on: September 19, 2021, 10:18:36 PM
In anticipation of the new tiger, I actually rode a Harley “adventure bike “, today. It didn’t disappoint me, the side stand is in the wrong place, the exhaust is right next to your leg, the clutch howled like it was going to explode, I was told that the chain stretches quickly and did not (to me) have a ton of power. No sure what people see in this thing, but I would mention that i’m not a fan of twins, but i expected more from all the hype I have heard. So that eliminated one possible contender, if the new tiger has the “twin beat”, which i don’t want. Only time will tell. :084:

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 09:29:17 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
That is great mjab, I really liked the GT Pro when I rode it and the weight loss is welcome, enjoy!  :491:
Great feedback mjab - Think I'm likely to be joining you soonish
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Reply #29 on: September 20, 2021, 08:50:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
Great feedback mjab - Think I'm likely to be joining you soonish

Well after being told red ones were in short supply and could be a few months wait the dealer phoned me today offered me more for mine than I thought, agreed to swap over the camera system and sat nav and they have secured a red one that could have my name on it with a £250 deposit.

Deposit paid, off to Wales for a week in the car from Saturday so will be sorting all the details when I get back
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

nonskid