Author Topic: FL-Tig-Rider with 2018 XRT checking in and saying Hello! Florida, USA  (Read 575 times)

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Central Florida
Hello everyone!  Thanks for a wonderful forum.

My love affair with these big Triumph adventure bikes started in 2001 when I bought a black 1997 Tiger 900 with 28K on the clock.  Those first generation Tigers were built like a steam engine and I suppose that’s where the so-called “Steamers”  name came from.  It was a great bike with a few quirks (namely that dreaded alternator shaft problem) and it served me well for about 6 years until it was traded in for an FJR1300. 

Picture M001

Picture M002

In 2003, I got the bug to step things up a notch and I found a new  left-over 2001 Tiger 955i in Roulette Green.  I’ve always liked the Kawasaki competition green color, but this Roulette green is even prettier than that.  I currently have nearly 50k on the clock and still counting.  They call this next generation of Tigers the “Girlies”, I suppose because of their curvy body lines.  The “Roadies” came next, but I never owned one of those.

Picture M003

Picture M004

I haven’t treated myself to a new bike since 2007 (discounting a couple of old collector bikes I picked up in 2012 and 2016), so I was a bit overdue.  This time, I decided to look for a like-new, but several  year old Tiger.  It seemed Triumph made some nice feature upgrades in 2018, so I set my sights on an ’18 or newer 1200 XRT.  It turns out one popped up 20 miles from my parents’ house in Wisconsin, so I started a conversation with the seller.  It turns out the seller and I are very like-minded and a deal was struck.  Before I knew it, a flight was booked and plans were being made to ride it home.  It’s a 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT in white with 7K on the clock and in perfect condition.  The PO had installed a custom rider seat, SHAD SH35 side cases, and bar risers…  all of which turned out to be a blessing for the ride home. Here is a shot as purchased. 

Picture M005

For the 1,300 mile ride home, I wanted a few more things added, so stole my rear case off my 2001 and custom engineered a way to mount it before flying up.  Between a 25 pound box of parts I mailed up ahead of my arrival and the 50 pound bag of riding gear and parts I brought with me as an airline checked bag, I also added my driver backrest, highway pegs, GPS system, and tankbag quick-connect mounting for the long ride.  Here is a shot from a random Rest Area along my route home to Florida.  The bike proved very comfortable.

Picture M006

I had planned to stay an extra day to visit with my parents, but Hurricane IDA had other plans for me.  It was bearing down on Louisiana when I flew up and was expected to turn east sharply as soon as it made landfall.  Leaving early got me through the north-south corridor before the bulk of the storm came east.  It took me two days to make the 1,300 mile trek, and on that second day, there were outer rain bands dumping rain on either side of the Interstate, but not ON the Interstate.  Mom said she was praying quite a bit for a safe trip, so I will chalk it up to that!

Here is the radar the day AFTER I got home to Florida.  The “door” was closed quickly behind me.  If I would have waited a day, I would have been drenched for most of the trip.  As it was, I didn’t get a stitch of rain anytime while riding.  I stopped for lunch the second day and a hurricane rain band came through while I was eating my sub sandwich and I watched it pass over as I sat and ate…  perfect timing!!

Picture M007

Before I had flown up, I was watching an old Triumph OEM rear case on ebay that was reasonably priced.  Once I was at my parents’ house outfitting the bike for the ride and determined my plan of mounting the old green case on there was going to work, I purchased the red case to permanently go on this 2018.  I intend to sell the 2001 with the 3-bag matched set on it.  The case was delivered shortly after I arrived home and here it is, test fitted on the bike.  Okay, it doesn’t have the chiseled look of the front of the bike, but I think it matches the shape of the SHAD cases reasonably well.  Someday, I may spring for the matching SHAD rear case, but for now this will do.  If a SHAD is purchased, The old Triumph case will go on my DR650SE. 

Picture M008

I have since given the lid the base white coat of paint and it is now awaiting the pearl final coat.

Picture M009

So that is where I’m at with this XRT.  There are quite a few upgrades to add as I make this bike mine, but that’s the fun part for an engineer like me!  It also will need an oil change soon (the previous owner tossed oil and filter in with the deal), as well as a brake/clutch fluid flush and a new front tire.  I also want to fit the TPMS system while tire swaps are going on.

I will leave you with a series of pictures I took when I got home.  It’s interesting to see the comparison of bikes, I think.  Enjoy!

Naked:

Picture M010

Picture M011

Side cases only:

Picture M012

Picture M013

Full cases:

Picture M014

Picture M015
75,000 miles in a Tiger saddle and counting!
My Intro Post
My 2001 Tiger 955i For Sale

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Re: FL-Tig-Rider with 2018 XRT checking in and saying Hello! Florida,
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 11:19:08 PM
 :400: to the family, F-T-R! Lot's of Florida owners here on the forum, along with a huge group of friendly, experienced riders from all over the world. :821:
Jon

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:46:20 AM
 :401: from Ireland. Great story and great bike history. I still own my 1995 T300 Daytona which is a keeper. Your photos have not come out but you might sign up to the free photo gallery on the top menu which makes posting photoes very easy.

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 11:38:01 AM
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
:400: to the family, F-T-R! Lot's of Florida owners here on the forum, along with a huge group of friendly, experienced riders from all over the world. :821:
Thanks Jon.  I used to ride with several FL Tiger owners back in the early 2000's and attended several of the annual Tiger "Ride-Ins" in Arkansas.  We sort of all went off in our own directions, but I wonder if anyone has a newer Tiger now.

Here are some pictures from my early Tiger days:

Picture M016

Picture M017

Picture M018

My Intro Post

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 11:38:44 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
:401: from Ireland. Great story and great bike history. I still own my 1995 T300 Daytona which is a keeper. Your photos have not come out but you might sign up to the free photo gallery on the top menu which makes posting photoes very easy.
Thanks for the welcome.  Yeah, those old Triumphs are great.  I think they went the extra mile in the beginning of the Hinckley days to prove their worth.

Thanks for letting me know about the pictures not showing up.  I use Google Photos on other sites worldwide without problems and when I started a new album folder for the Tiger photos, I forgot to “share” the album.  All should be well now, but someone please let me know if my photos are still not showing up.  Thanks.  Also, thanks for the suggestion of the free gallery here.  If all else fails, I will give it a try.
My Intro Post

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 05:12:09 PM
 :401: to the forum from the UK  :467:
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 11:47:25 AM
*Originally Posted by NorthumBryan [+]
:401: to the forum from the UK  :467:
Thank you!  I'm glad to be here!
My Intro Post

Offline Crazy Kev

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCa: '88 Gsxr
  • City / Town: Johannesburg
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 10:55:09 AM
 :464: and Welcome.
Nice pics, I always like to see pics.  :047:

“A long ride…A little more laughter, A little less worry, A little more kindness, A little less hurry.”

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 11:50:08 AM
*Originally Posted by Crazy Kev [+]
:464: and Welcome.
Nice pics, I always like to see pics.  :047:
Thanks Kev.  I’m just glad my pictures are showing up now after my original problem with Album sharing.

Well, if you like pictures…   here are some with the top case fitted on the 2018 XRT and also the 2001 Tiger 955i all cleaned up for the “For Sale” listing pictures.  I’m going to miss that old green girl!

Picture M019

Picture M020

Picture M021   

My Intro Post

nonskid