Author Topic: Bike Turntable  (Read 667 times)

Offline Dave362

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: York
Bike Turntable
on: September 15, 2021, 07:21:02 AM
Morning everybody.

So after spending the last few days watching my new (to me) bike getting wet and watermarked, as well being unsecured, stood out in the rain, I'm stepping up looking at solutions to get it covered.

As I'm a tenant and not a home owner, there are some limitations to what I can do, but the landlord doesn't mind if I put in a shed and base. The issue though is that where I want to park and man handle the bike is on a gravel slope. I really don't want to have to dig out and put in a large concrete slab base the size of a 10ft square shed.

A better alternative might be to just put in a 50cm x 50cm base and then use a turntable for rotating the bike so that I can ride it out onto the gravel slope. 

I've seen a few turntables on the likes of Amazon, but I'm always sceptical of the reviews, so thought I'd reach out to see if anybody is already using such a product successfully.

This is the type of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyTurn-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Centre-Turntable/dp/B07KRBVGG8.

Obviously as well as digging a 50cm square, levelling and laying concrete to put this on, I'd also have to ensure I at least scrape out the upper slope on the high side so that when on the centre stand the bike will still turn 180 degrees without the wheels catching on the gravel.

Offline Tiger Explorer

• Forum Help & Support
  • Explorer Pro
Re: Bike Turntable
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:00:38 AM
That one seems pretty small, never seen one that size before. As it's so small just wondered about the longevity of the bearings.   :084:

Only decent one I know is SPIN-IT but the price and size difference is substantial:

https://www.carturntables.co.uk/motorcycle-turntable/

(BTW - Topic moved to Accessories and Products board as the topic is not Tiger 1200 related)  :038:

:821:
Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:04:57 AM by Tiger Explorer

Online FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Member
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Central Florida
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 03:44:30 PM
Maybe one of these centerstands with wheels would eliminate the need for a turntable altogether?  Maybe add wheels to your current centerstand somehow?  Of course, you would still need a nice flat surface.

Picture M044

I guess I would be a little leery of the stability of a centerstand with wheels, however.   :027:  Not sure what it would be like putting the bike up on it.  It's likely the bike wouldn't roll back as much when doing so.
Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:47:55 PM by FL-Tig-Rider
75,000 miles in a Tiger saddle and counting!
My Intro Post
My 2001 Tiger 955i For Sale

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 04:23:25 PM
That one seems pretty small, never seen one that size before. As it's so small just wondered about the longevity of the bearings.   :084:
Given that its only 10mm high does it actually have any bearings or just 2 x 5mm plates with a centre pivot bolt? May have a PTFE or similar disc in between I suppose?  Guess would be OK until it gets dust and grit from the floor in it. 
Would also want to know it the 1000kg test was an even load spread across diameter of plate or 2 x point loads as in case of centre stand & slightly off centre ('cos you will never be that accurate).  I suspect centre stand point load would cause distortion of 5mm aluminium after a while with a T1200 on it.

That said it may work.  Its Amazon so you can always buy, take a look and return if not happy.
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Yellerbelly

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Berkshire
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 09:59:24 PM
One of my riding buddies has something similar to the link which he uses to turn his BMW R1250RT. Had it about 2 years with no issues. I’m sure he only paid about £60 for his.
Nick

I admire high achievers, talented indviduals and successful teamwork. I maintain balance by supporting Sc*nthorpe United FC

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 05:07:47 PM
for several years when i had a ramp to go down to my garage i used a square tin tray - went down the ramp into the garage forward - up on the centrestand which was centered on the the tin and turn - very easy and very cheap  - at that time it was a shaft drive Kawasaki   
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

nonskid