Author Topic: Windscreen options and opinions  (Read 1399 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Windscreen options and opinions
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 09:03:09 AM
Yup! My much regreted Jet Black carbed mighty trailie:
http://www.triumph-t3-passion.info/triumph-tiger.html

The timing chain tensioner failed at 85,000 km and the repair cost was beyond the value of the beast. So I had to let it go.
Don't get me wrong, new bikes are fantastic and all, but this "organic" feeling of the Steamer still is incomparable (in my memories at least)!

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 05:50:11 PM
I noticed yesterday that at high speed, my Puig touring screen seems to cause some instability.  I never noticed this with the stock screen or the summer screen. 

With those screens, the bike always feels planted and stable at any speed and condition.

There may have been some wind condition I didn't notice at my set cruise speed (85 mph).  But after I was passed by new Corvette, I thought I would run with him for while.  In the low triple digits, the bike just felt like it wanted to wander around a bit, so I figured it was best to back out of it a bit.  I couldn't have kept up with the Corvette anyway- he got on the gas and pulled away from me like I was sitting still.

It seems fine at any normal speed I would ride, though.

Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 08:04:52 PM
My gen1 tex definitely goes light on the front wheel at those speeds. I think the airflow up and over the tank plastic is like a wing. The Madstad winglets seemed to help because they broke that flow.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 12:48:05 PM
I have a Puig screen too, when riding high speeds (Autobahn etc) you need to lower it all the way down and set the riding mode to Sport  :007:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 11:03:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Tiger T.O. [+]
I have a Puig screen too, when riding high speeds (Autobahn etc) you need to lower it all the way down and set the riding mode to Sport  :007:

:001:

Oh, she was in sport mode.

I had the screen partly up.  There's a lot of flexing in this screen, and the air was forcing it onto my GPS.  so I had to raise it an inch or so to prevent scratches on the windshield as well as prevent a possible "flying GPS" incident.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline jures

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCA1200
  • City / Town: MEDVODE
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 11:06:40 AM
I am using Puig - it gives extra 4-5 cm needed to stop turbolence, and when needed you simply lower it in order not to be too high. top position is needed only for highways or similar