Author Topic: Which SatNav  (Read 2253 times)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Which SatNav
Reply #30 on: October 05, 2021, 08:48:30 PM
Thanks to this thread, my Garmin XT (that I was previously unaware of) arrives today.   :152:
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
Reply #31 on: October 05, 2021, 09:32:58 PM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
Thanks to this thread, my Garmin XT (that I was previously unaware of) arrives today.   :152:

Good choice

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
Reply #32 on: October 05, 2021, 11:56:19 PM
Ooooooooooo itsssss here!

JG_XRT loves new (and unnecessary!) gadgets......

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
Reply #33 on: October 10, 2021, 09:06:30 PM
After my first run with the XT, it gets a big thumbs up.

The screen is a vast improvement, not just in terms of brightness (the big one), but it also seems clearer and more vibrant.

I also really liked these 3 new features:

1.  If you stream music from your phone through the GPS, the music info shows on the screen.  I couldn't get my 595 to show that (when streaming from my phone).  Also, even if you don't have the music player on screen, when the music changes, there is a brief pop-up that show the new track info.

2.  WiFi.  You don't have to plug into your PC for updates anymore.  Not super important, but handy.  Especially if you need t do an update on the road.

3.  Straight-Line Navigation.  This was the best update (besides the screen) to me.  Rather than turn-by-turn instructions, you are simply given s straight line vector to your destination.  I like to wander towards new places, and don't necessarily like constant updates to the route when I decide to go another direction.  So I will like this feature very much.

There's also a new audio mix adjustment so you can adjust the overall volume, and other items in the sub-menu can be adjusted independantly..

A couple of notes (not real issues) to be aware of (My GPS is paired to a Sena 20S EVO, so these may or may not apply to you):

A.  If you plan to use the GPS to send and receive phone calls, you need to pair it to the headset as a phone, not as a GPS.  You will also either want to have your phone disconnected from (or not at all paired) to the headset.  Otherwise, the call audio will not be routed to your headset.  The call will still go through, and you will see it on the GPS, but you won't get the audio.  Pair your GPS to the Sena as a phone, then pair your phone to the GPS.  Then there aren't any issues.

B.  If you are using your phone as a music source and the GOS is giving you navigation directions, the music feed seems to get messed up after the GPS interrupts the music stream.  Sometimes the music will repeatedly play/pause, stop altogether, or play really fast.  I ended up kust moving my music to the GPS and playing it from there.  I also had some success with changing the music source from the phone to the GPS, then back to the phone, but settled on simply leaving the music on the GPS.

C.  Custom Maps.  I had purchased custom off roads maps for my quad and have them on SD cards for my various GPS units.  If you use these on the XT, and you want to use the unit for regular load riding, you will have to remember to DEACTIVATE the custom map before you try to use the XT to road-navigate you.  This may only be the case for either off-road maps, or simply the map set I have.  I had forgotten that I had them on my memory card, and that I had activated them.  With this map set active, the GPS struggled to route me home, and made completely non-sensical routes no matter what routing options I selected.  It would even route me to drive the in the direction opposite traffic flow on limited access highways.  But once a I realized those maps were active and turned them off, the GOS navigated flawlessly.

Very happy with this unit.

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Near Blackpool... But NOT TOO near !
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRx
  • City / Town: Near Blackpool
Reply #34 on: October 11, 2021, 05:05:06 AM
Brilliant review,
Thank you for taking the trouble.
S.
Power is How Hard you hit the Wall. . . .
Torque is How Far you take the Wall with you !

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #35 on: October 11, 2021, 07:05:39 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write the review JG - I am thinking about updating my GPS soon, and this thread and your review has been very helpful.
 :821:
CC

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #36 on: October 11, 2021, 08:23:46 AM
I have the Tom Tom Rider 550/550 and my buddy has the Garmin. I have to admit his is a better system, it just seems to handle created GPX files better than the Tom Tom and gets less confused at times.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
Reply #37 on: October 11, 2021, 11:15:16 PM
Another nice thing about the XT is that while the screen is bigger, the unit itself seems actually slightly smaller than the 595.

It's certainly lighter, a little thinner, just about the same width, and maybe slightly shorter.

It is definitely shorter in the mount.  My windshield would rest om the 595 with the screen all the way down.  I've got almost .5" clearance with the XT.  This is because the XT clips to its mount, rather than being bracketed top and bottom by the 595 style mount.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #38 on: October 12, 2021, 02:14:44 AM
Rode to a Ulysses rally at Berri on the weekend, then around the riverland.  Had a lot of difficulty seeing my Zumo 590.  Had a look at a fellow member's XT.
Solving my visibility problem.
XT is on order.

For Aussies who want to save a few bucks on GPS units, I've used ja-gps.com.au (Johnny Appleseed) for all my GPS purchases, going back years to a hand-held when I used to do rogaining.