Author Topic: LED Bulbs.. Is there a difference?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: XRx Low (Sold)
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: LED Bulbs.. Is there a difference?
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2021, 10:01:29 AM
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
Nice one "OldEssexMan",
I am pleased you found them as good as I do..
No screaming fans and dont they just feel a quality item..

Its one of those rare cases where you actually do have your cake and eat it..

Better light output BUT with a much lower current draw...
Our bikes have pretty powerful alternators but on other bikes I have owned, they had a much lower output.
My last bike had a 420 watt alternator, so the saving made a difference.. Free heated grips in that bikes case.

S

Although if you ever take your bike into a dealers for a software update, you will need to fit the standard globes beforehand as the LED's (being a lower draw on the current) do throw up error messages in the CanBUS (although Triumph advise this is not an issue) - and software updates cannot be applied unless all error messages are cleared - hence you need to fit the standard globes back temporarily if you are having a software update else the error messages never clear (as, as soon as they clear them and switch the bike on, the headlights come on again and "re-issue" the CanBUS errors.

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2021, 12:42:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
Although if you ever take your bike into a dealers for a software update, you will need to fit the standard globes beforehand as the LED's (being a lower draw on the current) do throw up error messages in the CanBUS (although Triumph advise this is not an issue) - and software updates cannot be applied unless all error messages are cleared - hence you need to fit the standard globes back temporarily if you are having a software update else the error messages never clear (as, as soon as they clear them and switch the bike on, the headlights come on again and "re-issue" the CanBUS errors.

Either this is not entirely correct, or my dealer has never done a software update on my 2017 Gen 2.  I put in Cyclops LED headlights and an LED parking lamp as well as LED turn signal bulbs (all were incandescent bulbs on Gen 2s).  It's been in for its 1st service, 2 annual services and the 20K service.

Dealer never mentioned any issues.

I haven't checked in some time, but if I remember correctly, mine will spit out an error code for the low draw on the center parking lamp.

Also, the headlights don't switch on unless the bike is actually started, oved with the key on, or the dimmer/dip switch is pressed. So if the key is just switched to on and none of those conditions are met, the code should not generate (unless it stays in the system until cleared).  Maybe TX800c can weigh in.

Your mileage may vary.
Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 12:49:21 PM by JG_XRT
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: XRx Low (Sold)
  • City / Town: Billericay
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2021, 04:08:17 PM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
Either this is not entirely correct, or my dealer has never done a software update on my 2017 Gen 2.  I put in Cyclops LED headlights and an LED parking lamp as well as LED turn signal bulbs (all were incandescent bulbs on Gen 2s).  It's been in for its 1st service, 2 annual services and the 20K service.

Dealer never mentioned any issues.

I haven't checked in some time, but if I remember correctly, mine will spit out an error code for the low draw on the center parking lamp.

Also, the headlights don't switch on unless the bike is actually started, oved with the key on, or the dimmer/dip switch is pressed. So if the key is just switched to on and none of those conditions are met, the code should not generate (unless it stays in the system until cleared).  Maybe TX800c can weigh in.

Your mileage may vary.

Entirely correct as that was what happened to my Gen-2 when I owned it, around mid 2017 and I had LED bulbs fitted then. I suspect that the Gen-2 ECU's have not been updated since the Gen-3's came out hence why your dealer may never have mentioned it. Certainly mine was never updated again right up until I sold it in July 2020 (although the chassis and clock software was around mid 2018)

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 12:01:42 AM
Just for kicks, I pulled out my Cyclops LED bulbs and put in H4 halogens again, after having run the LEDs since a few weeks after I got the bike.

I think the nice bright white of the LEDs looks cooler (very subjective) and matches the fog, driving and parking lights, and they absolutely put out more light.

But I think I will be sticking with the halogen bulbs- they are not quite as bright, but they do a better jog of putting the light where it needs to be.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 03:04:37 PM
Been there, done that ;-)