Author Topic: Started the centre stand mod..  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Re: Started the centre stand mod..
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 05:19:49 PM
Looking good - had my Gen1 lowered for a while but put it back to standard. One of the reasons was difficulty getting it on the stand 9there were other reasons as well)

Assume your shortened version still align correctly with the stop on the standard exhaust?
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRx
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 05:45:44 PM
Hi Chippy...

Yes it all ligns up perfectly..
The stand has been made 30mm shorter which means that the rubber bump stop will meet the stand 30mm nearer its feet.
Luckily my mate has a full sized TEX and so I can photo and compare pretty much whenever I want to.
I looked at all eventualities before splashing out on what is really quite an expensive Mod..
A centre stand is just too useful for me to do without..
Not quite so important if you can use a paddock stand as with sportsbikes..

I have always done "intermediate" services on all my bikes, and the TEX will be no exception and so its vital I have a center stand.

S

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 05:48:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
Hi Chippy...

Yes it all ligns up perfectly..
The stand has been made 30mm shorter which means that the rubber bump stop will meet the stand 30mm nearer its feet.
Luckily my mate has a full sized TEX and so I can photo and compare pretty much whenever I want to.
I looked at all eventualities before splashing out on what is really quite an expensive Mod..
A centre stand is just too useful for me to do without..
Not quite so important if you can use a paddock stand as with sportsbikes..

I have always done "intermediate" services on all my bikes, and the TEX will be no exception and so its vital I have a center stand.

S
:467:  Agree with need for centre stand - only ever had 1 bike without ( an ER6F) and that didn't stay long. 
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 07:34:43 PM
 :467:

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 09:06:37 PM
interesting thread  :464:
I'm looking to drop my linkage by 20mm, and now wondering if I need to also consider modifying the center stand ... or maybe just put a plank under the wheels when lifting onto the stand when garaged - any thoughts ?

:821:
CC

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 10:04:45 PM
Hello CraptainC,

If you only use your center stand occasionally (ie for servicing) then I would leave it alone!
Its a lot of expense and trouble to do this mod..
My mate had a lowered XCx which (unknown to him at the time) was 40mm lower than the standard TEX..
I did put his on its stand but I will, l say it was a bit of a struggle!!!

The logical thing to do is to try it for a while without spending any time and effort...

You see my predicament is a bit different, in that my "facory lowered" XRx did NOT have a center stand at all!!
So I had nothing to lose by fitting one..

On a side note....
The (Honda) dealership where I bought my bike reckoned they had phoned up the Triumph dealership on my request to see if a center stand cound be retro fitted..
The (Honda) guy said " Ive spoken to Triumph and they said the chassis is different on the "Low version" and cannot be modified"..

This in hindsight was BS!
Very soon after I got my TEX I was underneath it with a camera and also underneath my mates 2016 TEX XRx standard height version...
They were identical in the chassis department....
In fact once I had "locked on" to the new bike I was onto the Fowlers website to compare parts (Yes I am sad I know)..
As far as I can tell from the part numbers, the difference between the standard model and the lowered model is:

1. Rear shock / spring assy
2. Front forks (internal length)
3. Exhaust silencer.. (The Low model has no centre stand rubber bumb stop / bracket)..

In other words, if I really wanted to I could convert my bike to a stock model by replacing those three parts!

Sorry I am rambling on..

In a nutshell...
Try your bike with the stock center stand when it has been lowered..
If you can live with it then leave it alone..

Just my thoughts,

S.
Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:08:23 PM by Speedy

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 08:19:49 AM
*Originally Posted by CraptainC [+]
interesting thread  :464:
I'm looking to drop my linkage by 20mm, and now wondering if I need to also consider modifying the center stand ... or maybe just put a plank under the wheels when lifting onto the stand when garaged - any thoughts ?

CC

I dropped mine by 20mm and left the centrestand as is. You will give yourself a hernia if you try and lift it with the luggage on so avoid that. Unladen the centrestand is doable but requires extra effort and good technique. I tend to only use it when parked up longer term now and pretty much never out on the road. You do have to give a little bit more thought to parking on the side stand too once lowered, nothing terrible, just choose your spot wisely.

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 08:49:08 AM
Thanks for the extra insight & tips guys.  :467:
Based on this I will do as advised - leave as is & see how I get on (center and side stand).

Bit of background for the conversation..... I'm 6'2" so don't have a height problem with the stock bike, however I've just remodeled a used/spare seat to increase the height by about 20mm and flatten the ride position (all to give me extra leg room due to knackered hips). Now I am on tip-toes at the lowest seat position - hence the linkage lowering.

CC

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 09:50:13 AM
If you only use the centre stand at home there's an easy solution = park the bike on sidestand with rear wheel on a block/plank of wood (18mm ply should do). Lifting the bike on to centrestand is then much easier. If you still struggle use thicker wood.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 10:10:22 AM
*Originally Posted by CraptainC [+]
I've just remodeled a used/spare seat to increase the height by about 20mm and flatten the ride position (all to give me extra leg room due to knackered hips). Now I am on tip-toes at the lowest seat position - hence the linkage lowering.

Given a few months use you might find that seat will comply and give you back a cm. :084: