Author Topic: Started the centre stand mod..  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: XRx Low (Sold)
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Started the centre stand mod..
Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 04:45:23 PM
Interesting approach to how you modded the stand @Speedy - I did think about similar when I modded one for my XRX-Low (detailed here https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17208.msg204010.html#msg204010 ) but was concerned that getting the alignment back correct could be an issue. Glad to see yours worked out and gives owners an option for 2 ways of modifying the stand.

I did follow up with Triumph as to why the LRH versions didn't have stands and was advised it was "for legal reasons" - but they wouldn't say what reasons. Never had an issue with mine touching all the time I had my XRX-LRH (over some 7k miles) in fact the footrests touched earlier.

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRx
Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 06:27:20 PM
Hi Hawkeye..
The guy who did the welding is what I nickname "The Fred Dibnah type"..
Plus he is a motorcycle mechanic..
If you look at the first photo you will see he used a large Hex rod to brace the centre stand into its correct position..
When I did a test fit, it went absolutely fine with no fitment issues..
Once the damned silencer arrives (from abroad) I will get it fitted..
I cant say its been a cheap job to do, but I dont regret a second of doing the mod..
In all other respects I love the bike...
I am very glad my mate talked me into getting one!

S

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Finished
Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 07:17:39 PM
Hi y'all..

Silencer arived at my place of work today..
Its a very nice conditioned OEM silencer off a Gen 2 Standard (None Low).
I was planning to fit it and the modified centre stand on Saturday.. But I was in the mood and so its now FINALLY all done and finished.

I know I have commented before on Triumphs attention to detail and build quality...
But little things like the extra long allen bolt that holds the bracket for the centre stand springs.. It means you can wins the bolt out by around 30-40mm and so it makes fitting the new (shorter) springs a doddle.. You fit them with the bolt unwound, which is easy and then simply tighten up the bolt.. Brilliant triumph..Well done!
I also like the O rings that are fitted to the center stand pivot thingy (T2083340).. That keeps the grease in and the water / crap out..

Its now all fitted and it "officially" works absolutely brilliantly.. In fact its so easy to put onto the stand that you forget how heavy these bikes are..
I grease the pivot VERY thoroughly with a home made mixture of Lucas synthetic grease and Honda Molyslip assembly paste..

Lastly, you will note that the Center stand rubber stop pad fits the modified stand perfectly (Photo 3)..

Now for the photos......

All in all with the welding (£40) and the Powder coating (£30) it cost around £220 (S/H Stand off eBay which was literally like new).
Yes its pretty expensive, but because it works so well I do not regret it for a second.
This mod is recommended.
S
Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:19:30 PM by Speedy

Offline Buzz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger mk3
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 10:20:37 PM
Nice job Speedy. Where did you get the shorter springs? And what length did you use? 
I’ve had a standard centre stand fitted to my Xrx low for a few years, but it would give me something to do over the winter.
Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:22:38 PM by Buzz

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 12:32:03 AM
Hi Buzz

I had the stand shortened by 30mm
So I looked online for springs 30mm shorter than standard (+/-).
There are loads to choose from and they are very cheap.. In fact because they are so inexpensive I bought 3 pairs of slightly different ones.
In then end I bought the ones below because the hook design looked similar to the standard ones.REMEMBER you will need 2 of whichever you buy !!
https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/vo-180-011

After a fair buit of research on here I found the optimum amount to shorten the stand is 30mm.
It doesnt sound a lot, but it makes ALL the difference when you are heaving the beast up onto its stand..

My very first job will be to change the "sealed for life" (NOT) Diff oil..

S.

Offline Hotbaws

• Explorer Member
  • Hotbaws
  • Bike: 2016 XRX
Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 02:55:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
Hi Buzz

There are loads to choose from and they are very cheap.. In fact because they are so inexpensive I bought 3 pairs of slightly different ones.
In then end I bought the ones below because the hook design looked similar to the standard ones.REMEMBER you will need 2 of whichever you buy !!

After a fair buit of research on here I found the optimum amount to shorten the stand is 30mm.
It doesnt sound a lot, but it makes ALL the difference when you are heaving the beast up onto its stand..

S.

Speedy,

Would your wielder mechanic mate be up for another job?

I've got centre stand and can't find someone local to do the job and I'd like to get it on my 2016 LRH sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Baws

Offline Buzz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger mk3
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 05:48:39 PM
Hi Buzz

S.

Thanks for the link, makes life easier when someone’s done the hard work already  :028:

As for the diff oil, a couple of quid every year is a lot cheaper than a new final drive  :001:

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 08:13:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Hotbaws [+]
Speedy,

Would your wielder mechanic mate be up for another job?

I've got centre stand and can't find someone local to do the job and I'd like to get it on my 2016 LRH sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Baws

Hi Hotbaws..
I dont see why not..
I will PM you his details (along with my full name for you to mention) and then phone / text / e-mail him..
I am assuming you will be posting to him?
I suggest you get the powder coating done locally to where you live..
Obviously you would need to get a quote and add postage..
I was at school with Geoff so I cannot garentee a price..
But he is not a Rip Off merchant so your quote will be competative (to say the least).

S.

Offline Hotbaws

• Explorer Member
  • Hotbaws
  • Bike: 2016 XRX
Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 04:22:56 PM
Hi Hotbaws..
I dont see why not..
I will PM you his details (along with my full name for you to mention) and then phone / text / e-mail him..
I am assuming you will be posting to him?
I suggest you get the powder coating done locally to where you live..
Obviously you would need to get a quote and add postage..
I was at school with Geoff so I cannot garentee a price..
But he is not a Rip Off merchant so your quote will be competative (to say the least).

S.

Thanks S, got your PM I owe you a beer or two  :821:

nonskid