Author Topic: Wireless Key Failure  (Read 2823 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Wireless Key Failure
on: October 11, 2021, 11:16:31 AM
I know we have had a few owners break off the mechanical key on the wireless key fob but the electrical side of my wireless key fob failed on me quite randomly yesterday. It is just dead, the LED doesn't light up green or red nor does it connect to the sensor (I have tried a battery change).  It was working fine a day or two before, hasn't been dropped or got wet since. It was a minor inconvenience as the wireless fob will always act as a passive key and start the bike but I just know this is going to be a costly part to replace along with the dealer mapping the new fob to the bike :114: The dealer is shut today, the good news will be tomorrow I'm sure.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Wireless Key Failure
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 03:46:48 PM
Oh great!
Yet another nice side effect of this incredibly useful piece of engineering!

FWIW, my 2000 PT Cruiser's keyfob still works.
And I replaced the battery only once.
And it fell on the ground on numerous occasions.

I can't believe how better the world is getting every day.

(and the younger me wouldn't believe I'm now talking like an old fart)

Rant over (for this time).

PS: I hope having it replaced (I can't even imagine your dealer being able to try and repair it) won't cost you an arm, an eye and a kidney. In any case I'll take the info when you have it (you can type with your other arm, right? ;-)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 02:28:02 PM
Right, got that sorted today. Dear enough but not quite my right arm! The replacement key was €204.76 (or €166.47 plus VAT, our equivalent of sales tax). Labour, it took them an hour but there was a fixed price of max half an hour so the labour came to €51.08 of which €6.08 was VAT.

All in all I can image several other brands hosing the owner for a new wireless fob but these costs are reasonable I think. I would still take a keyed ignition though but I knew what I was buying so there you go. I could also stick the key in the tank bag and no "keyfob out of range" warning which I could not do with my original key, even with a new battery. I hope that little extra range stays with the new fob.

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 08:50:23 AM
Bugger, that's a bit of unnecessary costs you could do without just before Christmas. Pleased it's sorted though  :467:
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 09:06:44 AM
I'm coming up to my first big 32,000 km service with valve clearance & camshaft adjustment, I'm going to get absolutely hosed on that in comparison! :005:  The range of my new fob is already back to standard "out of range" in my tank bag so that is back to the jacket pocket when I use it which is only when I don't have luggage.

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 09:58:02 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I'm coming up to my first big 32,000 km service with valve clearance & camshaft adjustment, I'm going to get absolutely hosed on that in comparison! :005:  The range of my new fob is already back to standard "out of range" in my tank bag so that is back to the jacket pocket when I use it which is only when I don't have luggage.
The whole point of the wireless key is to have it on you, so when you walk away from the bike, it is secure!

-I get occasional out-of-range errors even though its in in my left leg cargo pants pocket.  If it was out of range, how come it started the bike?
The other funny I still get (got it on the TEX) is the fuel usage rate starting at 51L/100km after I reset it.  (I reset at every fill.)
Oh, then there is the 'resume' which sometimes resumes at current speed instead of the last set speed.
Guess we are just lucky the the bike otherwise goes as well as it does.  -Except for the unlucky ones like NiK.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 08:00:21 AM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
The whole point of the wireless key is to have it on you, so when you walk away from the bike, it is secure!

But when you have the Triumph alarm you have to get your keys and arm it within 45 seconds of ignition off. Otherwise it sets itself with an annoying countdown sound and without the motion sensor. So if you don't arm it yourself someone cannot start the bike but they can push it away with no fear of the alarm going off?  When coming back to the bike you must disarm it of course so you had to take your keys out for that anyway. The whole alarm system renders a wireless key totally redundant.

Offline Johnnieblack

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xcx 2019
  • City / Town: Gr
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 10:18:58 AM
i still think that wireless key is a big bs cause its not completely wireless since you use the actual key to open the fuel tank , plus it makes my day worse cause i get anxious if its gonna be a problem and the bike wont start . Not only that , its not waterproof and that makes it extra sensitive and i always have to keep in mind to put it on a case just to make sure it dont get wet, plus the battery life ... Xcatel you should get an offer from a technical repair store if they can fix it in a lower price since its actually a piece of electronic equipment , a chipset i suppose ...

Offline XR?Rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XrX LRH
  • City / Town: Southampton
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 11:00:21 AM
I got myself a dumb key cut, one without any chips inside it. I use this to operate the fuel tank and the seat so that the keyfob can stay in my pocket whenever I'm out. The same ring hold my disklock and pannier keys so I keep the ancillaries totally separate from the ignition.

Doesn't stop it saying it's out of range of course (or that the battery is low).
2019 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX LRH
2009 Harley-Davidson XR1200
Still regretting selling a 2000 Bonneville cafe racer