Author Topic: LH mirror replacement  (Read 880 times)

Offline ExplorerMP

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC 1200
  • City / Town: Amsterdam
LH mirror replacement
on: October 11, 2021, 01:28:57 PM
I’m looking for a replacement for my LH mirror. There are two part numbers and I’m not sure which one to get:

T2060501 Mirror Assy LH
T2060500 Mirror kit

Which one contains the mirror and do I need both parts just to replace the mirror?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: LH mirror replacement
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 03:38:38 PM
Well, if it's for a Mk1, I have a pair of cheap French replacements, bought in Italy (!) and in good shape.
If you pay the postage, they're yours.

Offline ExplorerMP

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:08:41 PM
Thanks, Nik. Only tonight I have decided to trade in my Tiger 900 Rally Pro and my Tiger Explorer for a 2021 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S. So I'll leave the mirror on my Explorer for what it is.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 09:24:58 AM
Oh well, I'll put my stuff back in storage then!

Hope you'll enjoy the Austrian twin ;-)

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 09:44:15 AM
*Originally Posted by ExplorerMP [+]
Thanks, Nik. Only tonight I have decided to trade in my Tiger 900 Rally Pro and my Tiger Explorer for a 2021 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S. So I'll leave the mirror on my Explorer for what it is.
blimey that was quick ! How did you find the GT 900 - good and bad
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline ExplorerMP

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 09:53:00 AM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Oh well, I'll put my stuff back in storage then!

Hope you'll enjoy the Austrian twin ;-)

Thanks. Sorry for the hassle.

*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
blimey that was quick ! How did you find the GT 900 - good and bad

I’m selling both bikes. The Explorer because I find it a too top-heavy bike. For the first time in 21 years of motorcycle riding I have dropped my bike. For some unclear reason (probably a lack of concentration) it fell over when I was rolling backwards out of the driveway. Of course, when it starts tipping over you can’t really keep it up but I managed to let it land as softly as possible. A few scratches on the mirror, handguard and gear lever and a bit more heavy scratches on the engine crashbar. Nothing serious but still…..A big dent in my ego. I was on a 21 year streak….

Also, I find it more and more annoying that Triumph doesn’t seem to be able to deliver spare parts instantly. Seat? not available. Gear lever? Not available. Delivery times unknown. Mirror and handguards? About a week delivery time. Not to mention accessories. They just can’t provide accessories anymore: TPMS, not available anymore. I managed to find some on the internet but they cost almost 400 euro to have them imported. Luggage, also not available anymore through Triumph. And we are talking about a bike model that is 5-6 years old. People have been waiting for the 6th gear for many months. If the Explorer would be my only bike, I would have been unable to ride for months. Not acceptable.

I have very different experiences with Yamaha. Need a part? We’ll have it delivered to you dealer today or overnight. Need a accessory for an older model? No problem.
Of course there are issues with parts delivery due to Corona, shipping issues etc. But come on, we’re talking about parts for bikes that have been around for some time. Things should be in stock.

About the 900 (I have the RP, not the GP by the way):
Best bike I have ever had. Very comfortable, great engine, no problems with buffeting, looks good. The bad? A little wobble in the front wheel (other owners have that issue too). Otherwise I can’t think of something bad.

But the KTM comes in at 26400 euro. And at that price, I’ll need to trade in both bikes.
Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:57:59 AM by ExplorerMP

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 01:02:44 PM
*Originally Posted by ExplorerMP [+]
Thanks. Sorry for the hassle.

I’m selling both bikes. The Explorer because I find it a too top-heavy bike. For the first time in 21 years of motorcycle riding I have dropped my bike. For some unclear reason (probably a lack of concentration) it fell over when I was rolling backwards out of the driveway. Of course, when it starts tipping over you can’t really keep it up but I managed to let it land as softly as possible. A few scratches on the mirror, handguard and gear lever and a bit more heavy scratches on the engine crashbar. Nothing serious but still…..A big dent in my ego. I was on a 21 year streak….

Also, I find it more and more annoying that Triumph doesn’t seem to be able to deliver spare parts instantly. Seat? not available. Gear lever? Not available. Delivery times unknown. Mirror and handguards? About a week delivery time. Not to mention accessories. They just can’t provide accessories anymore: TPMS, not available anymore. I managed to find some on the internet but they cost almost 400 euro to have them imported. Luggage, also not available anymore through Triumph. And we are talking about a bike model that is 5-6 years old. People have been waiting for the 6th gear for many months. If the Explorer would be my only bike, I would have been unable to ride for months. Not acceptable.

I have very different experiences with Yamaha. Need a part? We’ll have it delivered to you dealer today or overnight. Need a accessory for an older model? No problem.
Of course there are issues with parts delivery due to Corona, shipping issues etc. But come on, we’re talking about parts for bikes that have been around for some time. Things should be in stock.

About the 900 (I have the RP, not the GP by the way):
Best bike I have ever had. Very comfortable, great engine, no problems with buffeting, looks good. The bad? A little wobble in the front wheel (other owners have that issue too). Otherwise I can’t think of something bad.

But the KTM comes in at 26400 euro. And at that price, I’ll need to trade in both bikes.

Interesting - let us know how you get on with the KTM - good luck - I have ridden a 1290 and the engine is immense but for me not as smooth as a triple
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 03:45:03 PM
KTM is a brilliant bike. But from rumours I've read online their spares delivery can be just as frustrating as Triumphs. However mine has proved 100% reliable so have had no cause to test their spares delivery. I guess bad news spreads faster than good news & the complaints have been in relation to the latest model Superduke R not the Adventures.  And I think with global manufacturing every company can have the odd glitch with parts delivery, especially with international logistics apparently in near chaos if the press is to be believed.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 04:53:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
especially with international logistics apparently in near chaos if the press is to be believed.
Don't believe everything that you read ;-)
I can say from the inside (global logistics) that this year was incredibly profitable.
Outlooks are good and problems (for now) mostly aren't on logistics operators side.

What's true is that most global (and wannabe) companies lost themselves in outsourcing without proper planning (delivery chain, business continuity, disaster recovery, etc.). How fast and easy to have your things made (if not designed) in a far away country for a cheaper price! Of course you're not in control anymore but the investors are happy. Until a glitch makes you look like a fool in front of your hard earned customers. That's probably how Triumph (and most European manufacturers) loses some of us.

For Japanese bike manufacturers, the situation can be a bit different since they kept a significant part of their industrial production at hand (industry counts for 27% of their global income). What once was a problem (having parts shipped from Japan to Europe or the USA, before the advent of global shipping efficiency) is now a strength (they depend less on randomly reliable contractors).

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 05:49:14 PM
The pandemic was not really a foreseeable global disruption (or maybe it was, but who In business listens to people talking about once in a hundred year events?). In any case, it has thoroughly disrupted the entire global just-in-time supply chain.

I live in a port city. Our problem currently is a trade imbalance resulting in stockpiles of empty containers on the wrong side of oceans. That means a shortage of containers where they are needed. No one wants to pay to fill ships with empty containers and move them to where they are needed. That's just one knock-on effect. And then there is Brexit and unintended trade and tariff complications.

But having said that even Honda is now saying that they will not promise stock of parts beyond 10 years from current model year and dealerships are refusing to warranty work they do on bikes that are older than 10 years. BMW still maintains legacy part supplies, but they can be slow too in delivering.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig