Author Topic: Got a new battery  (Read 1227 times)

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Got a new battery
on: October 15, 2021, 08:50:14 AM
After nine and a half years I got a new battery.

I typically kept the bike in the garage on the trickle charger and had an idea it was not at its best about 6 months ago but was considering selling the bike so didn't bother with it. Anyway, I left it out of the garage for about a week and off the charger and it dropped to 10.7v and wouldn't start of course. I was able to get enough charge back into it to get it to start but I figured with winter riding coming up and the extra heated gear I may as well get a new one.

I believe that may be the first time since new it hasn't started. Not bad.  :047:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Re: Got a new battery
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 02:57:30 PM
Not bad at all, Moggi. I had to change mine out this summer also. Brought the bike home in May of 2012. I replaced it with the same battery. :028:
Jon

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 05:26:09 PM
Changed the original battery this year also.  The bike is a 14 and came off the factory line in early 2013.
Anything after 7 years is gravy, I have not had a battery go past 10 years.
if you want something done right, do it again.

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 05:48:50 PM
Decent value really.

I had a check engine light on initially but after the third restart it disappeared so I figure all is well.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline daveejayuk

• Explorer Member
  • Boss Tha'
  • Bike: Land Rover green XC
  • City / Town: merseyside
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:49:34 AM
2014 plate still on original battery, lthough have bought replacement and is sat in kitchen annoying the life out of the mrs, has anyone considered or bought a lithium ion unit? was at the NEC a couple of years ago and asked about them but didnt have one to suit the XCaccording to their listings at that time, but believe have one capable of supporting all the demands from the bike now.
Xc with factory mats, green furry dice on rear view mirror and acrylic fur seat covers. Saving for drainpipe exhaust and mud flaps.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 10:55:58 AM
That is great, I got less than two years out of the new for 2018MY style battery, totally shot even though it spent most of its life on a battery tender.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 05:14:22 PM
I had an interesting experience recently with a new Yuasa battery for another bike. Bought it from a major m/c etailer. It was factory activated. When I received it the voltage indicated 60% charge, so I put it on the Battery Tender and topped it up. After installing, I checked the voltage and it indicated 75% charged. And over the next 6 weeks, this never improved. I contacted Yuasa and they decoded the production date, which turned out to be about 11 months old. I ended up ordering a different model Yuasa battery that shipped with the acid separately, which I activated myself.

Yuasa told me that they expect factory activated batteries to be "maintained by the selling dealership" prior to sale. Failing to do so will "shorten the battery life". Yuasa also has an application guide on their website that includes a voltage chart that you can use to determine the health of their AGM batteries. A healthy AGM battery sits at 13v +

My full purchase price was refunded by the seller. I had to submit a photo of the defective battery with the terminals destroyed. Going forward, I will look specifically for purchaser activated batteries. This is what I got for my TEX this past summer. I have always had good luck with OEM Yuasa batteries. My TEX battery lasted 8 years with very little attention from me.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRx
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 06:32:18 PM
 :467:
Thankyou .
I will follow your advice.

S.

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 10:46:37 PM
Pretty hard to have a purchaser-activated battery when it's a sealed unit.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 12:32:20 AM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Pretty hard to have a purchaser-activated battery when it's a sealed unit.
Not really. Look closely at the one in your bike. It's just a plastic strip with tight fitting caps moulded into it that you press into place after the acid cartridge is loaded.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig