Author Topic: What have you done to your Bike today?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Buzz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger mk3
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Re: What have you done to your Bike today?
Reply #20 on: November 11, 2021, 07:36:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
Made me smile - your comments starts: "In middle of doing valve clearances" but first pic (which is all that initially showed on my screen) shows back end of bike stripped  :005: :087:- you know something rest us don't  :745:  :431:

Im checking the valve clearance on the back wheel, am I doing something wrong? :084: :005: oh sh#t!!!   :008:

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #21 on: November 11, 2021, 10:13:31 PM
 He didn't specify WHICH valves he was checking......could've been checking those troublesome Schrader valves on the rims.....  :001:
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #22 on: November 19, 2021, 06:36:55 PM
I activated my "cornering traction control" which I reckon is the first time ever in nearly four years of ownership. I don't mind riding in the wet and have activated the traction control many times on a straight uphill for example, no drama and not unsettling. I overcooked the acceleration out of a right hand junction on a wet country road today and the bike immediately took action in a very controlled manner, backing off the power very quickly while I was lent over. I immediately knew what was happening and it was all very composed. There was no losing it and regaining traction, like you would on a gravel patch, it just didn't let me lose traction in the first place. Would I have lost the back end completely without it, I don't know, I doubt it but it was good to feel the action all the same. I will be out Saturday and most of Sunday this weekend and the roads are damp and covered in leaves, good to know this feature works but I'll do my best not to test it on purpose. :005:

Offline electroken

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2021, 07:14:23 PM
I'm replacing the electrical ground between the battery and the crankcase, which inexplicably snapped off at the crankcase end. The ring terminal looks like it suffered a fatigue fracture. Weird.

Offline matgriff

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: TEX XRT
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 04:24:42 PM
I stripped off the fuel tank on my GEN2 that I bought a couple of months ago. It only had 400 miles from new when I got it. I could see some brown marks under the tank, when I got it all stripped (what a faff draining the tank is, as the drain tap doesn't completely empty it and you have to pull off a few other tubes which spill fuel everywhere)

I found that during it's storage before my ownership a mouse had been in there and chewed up a load of the foam pad that's under the tank and been inside the air box.

Got it all cleaned up and fixed the foam with HD duct tape, no other damage, so I replaced the standard plugs for Iridium ones and blew all the air filter & box out whilst I was in there.

I also changed the oil & filter and final drive oil.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 10:46:36 PM
Dropped mine off at the dealer for its annual service.  Disappointed to realize I only managed about 4000 miles this year (and 1000 of those were on a "what the hell, let's do a 1000 miler today" whim).

But the ride home on the Ryker offset the blues a bit.

A couple more weeks, and both will be in storage for the winter.  :151: 
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #26 on: November 25, 2021, 01:06:05 AM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
Dropped mine off at the dealer for its annual service.  Disappointed to realize I only managed about 4000 miles this year (and 1000 of those were on a "what the hell, let's do a 1000 miler today" whim).

But the ride home on the Ryker offset the blues a bit.

A couple more weeks, and both will be in storage for the winter.  :151:
My insurance is up, but I have no where to go anyway. Flooding has closed most of the roads that I usually ride. 17,000 people had to evacuate. Gas is being rationed. It has not been a good 10 days here.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Johnnieblack

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xcx 2019
  • City / Town: Gr
Reply #27 on: November 25, 2021, 08:04:06 AM
Cleaned the braking discs with the brake cleaner of muc-off brand . Screeching - squaking sound was too loud i gave it a try , sprayed a lot from the top while turning the wheel and then cleaned with a clean piece of cloth . a lot of dirt came off the disc and they seem to be spinning better now . also no sounds !

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #28 on: November 25, 2021, 08:27:05 AM
Got a new Bridgestone A40 on the front to replace my 90% worn one. Regardless of tyre brand a new front makes all the difference to this bike, I really dislike the handling of the big girl with 75-80% worn tyres, specifically on the front. The rear is holding up very well. So that is my fifth front tyre now and I am at 32,000 km.

Offline 636mick

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Daventry
Reply #29 on: November 25, 2021, 08:11:21 PM
Sadly, spent the afternoon cleaning, them covering and parking the bike up for a couple of months. Set up the battery charger ready to go on each week as the bike has to stay outside.
Not happy but as I go to work at stupid o clock most days I can’t see me riding for a bit.
I’m sure I’m not the only one, might SORN it later!!
Mick
Playing in the traffic on the M1.

nonskid