Author Topic: Metzeler Marathon 888  (Read 445 times)

Offline Bruno mondor

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 TEX XCA
  • City / Town: Ottawa
Metzeler Marathon 888
on: October 22, 2021, 07:14:38 PM
Is there anybody who had Metzeler marathon 888 installed on their bike?  When I bought my 2017 XCA, I am pretty sure it came with Tourances.  Man they were noisy.  I installed a Metzeler Marathon 880 on the front and a Metzeler Marathon 888 at the back.  What a difference.  I did close to 20K km on them.  Good riding. Yesterday, I went to buy a new set of Marathon 888 at a local shop here in Ontario Canada an when I told the guy it was for a Tiger 1200, he almost laughed at me an refused to sell them to me saying they were not tires for the Tiger 1200.  I told him I wasn't looking for his opinion, just the tires.  He said that I would enjoy my bike much more if I bought the proper tires. 

Any comments on that? 

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Metzeler Marathon 888
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 08:59:43 AM
It's nice that the guy offered his opinion or recommendation and tried to steer you in the "right" direction, but to refuse to sell you the tires?  I think I'd find another shop.

i used to run Marathons on my V65 Sabre and my old GSs (Suzuki GS550E and GS750T, not those "other" GSs) and they worked great.

If you can find them in the right sizes and high mileage is your main objective, then go for it.  Especially since you've already tried them, know what to expect, and were happy with them.

There are better options (I run Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs) out there, but are they better for you?

Run what works for you.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Metzeler Marathon 888
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 11:48:16 AM
Most tyre shops just want to take your money and it's cool to think that the fitter is actually putting a bit of thought into your welfare. The 888 tyres are speed and weight rated appropriately and they are the correct size, so no issues there. But, at the end of the day it's your bike and therefore your choice.
Talking bollocks since 1965...