Author Topic: Adding a different color coolant to bike?  (Read 707 times)

Offline psalom625

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: San Mateo
Adding a different color coolant to bike?
on: October 24, 2021, 01:38:59 AM
Hi,

I've been doing a bit of research, and I keep seeing that the Zerex G-05 is a good coolant for my 2020 Tiger 1200. However, the coolant that I see in the bike is a greenish color. Will there be a problem if I add a different color coolant to my bike?

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: Adding a different color coolant to bike?
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:18:45 PM
I have done the change to the yellow Zerex G-05 and the only downside that I have noticed was the coolant tank level is a bit harder to see.  The flashlight function on a cell phone helps when you shine it on the tank.

A side note, when you drain the coolant, there is a drain bolt on the base of the cylinders on the left side.  Make sure you drain it.

if you want something done right, do it again.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 05:37:44 PM
*Originally Posted by psalom625 [+]
Hi,

I've been doing a bit of research, and I keep seeing that the Zerex G-05 is a good coolant for my 2020 Tiger 1200. However, the coolant that I see in the bike is a greenish color. Will there be a problem if I add a different color coolant to my bike?
To be on the safe side, don't mix them. Remove the rad, flush out the block and refill with Zerex.

BTW seems early to be changing your coolant?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline psalom625

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: San Mateo
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 06:17:12 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
To be on the safe side, don't mix them. Remove the rad, flush out the block and refill with Zerex.

BTW seems early to be changing your coolant?

I dropped the bike a few months ago and some coolant spilled out because the cap was knocked off. I'd like to top it off.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 06:26:14 PM
*Originally Posted by psalom625 [+]
I dropped the bike a few months ago and some coolant spilled out because the cap was knocked off. I'd like to top it off.
Again, to be on the safe side, do not mix them.

Keep the coolant level at or near the low mark on the reservoir. That's where they seem to like it. Filling the reservoir to full mark may result in overflow if you get caught in stop-and-crawl traffic on a hot day, or boil over if you key off under similar circumstances.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig