Author Topic: Contaminated front pads  (Read 1156 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Contaminated front pads
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 09:29:25 AM
A bit more on topic now: QC is not a perfect process. Actually, it is less and less prefect as time passes and investors demand higher revenues.
I don't seem to remember disks rusting on any of my 5 successive Triumphs, but my last 4 eventually developped slightly warped front disks. Nothing major, but enough for me to suspect below average quality somewhere...

PS: when I read this thread title, I thought it was contamination by external fluids. Like this night when a moronic cager passed me on the highway (his Mini on full throttle, probably above 200 km/h). A couple hundreds meters and he was launching a massive blueish cloud of smoke, then stopped on the side of the road, his engine apparently dead. When I took the exit I tried to slow down with my front brake to no avail! The smoke was actually oil spray which covered my disks! Scary! Thank you Triumph for making good rear brakes!

Offline Guitarman

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Never too old.
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Inverness
Re: Contaminated front pads
Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 09:43:06 AM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
A bit more on topic now: QC is not a perfect process. Actually, it is less and less prefect as time passes and investors demand higher revenues.
I don't seem to remember disks rusting on any of my 5 successive Triumphs, but my last 4 eventually developped slightly warped front disks. Nothing major, but enough for me to suspect below average quality somewhere...

PS: when I read this thread title, I thought it was contamination by external fluids. Like this night when a moronic cager passed me on the highway (his Mini on full throttle, probably above 200 km/h). A couple hundreds meters and he was launching a massive blueish cloud of smoke, then stopped on the side of the road, his engine apparently dead. When I took the exit I tried to slow down with my front brake to no avail! The smoke was actually oil spray which covered my disks! Scary! Thank you Triumph for making good rear brakes!

Regarding developing warped front disks this has nothing to do with quality control. I had to replace the front disks on my Trophy SE which developed a warped front disk, after numerous responses on the reason for this the general consensus was the bobbins not being free enough to rotate as the disks are semi-floating. Replaced the disks & pads and no more shuddering  :467:  Glad you managed to stop safely.