Author Topic: Advice after accident  (Read 1717 times)

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Bonnie & Tiger 800
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
Re: Advice after accident
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 02:26:12 PM
Thank God you are OK.

Second, not knowing exactly what happened and if it was clearly the other guys fault, in the US I would advise you contact an attorney who will get you more for your bike and for your injuries.

If responsibility is maybe your fault and you are collecting on you, what we call collision insurance in the US you may want to see what they will give you for the bike, and what they will sell you the damaged bike for after paying you on the total loss.  In the US, parting out a bike can be profitable with the difficulty everyone is having getting parts.

Just a few thoughts.

ZShyster

Offline LukeJHull

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger ExplorerXC
  • City / Town: Hull
Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 02:37:23 PM
*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
Thank God you are OK.

Second, not knowing exactly what happened and if it was clearly the other guys fault, in the US I would advise you contact an attorney who will get you more for your bike and for your injuries.

If responsibility is maybe your fault and you are collecting on you, what we call collision insurance in the US you may want to see what they will give you for the bike, and what they will sell you the damaged bike for after paying you on the total loss.  In the US, parting out a bike can be profitable with the difficulty everyone is having getting parts.

Just a few thoughts.

ZShyster

Thanks yeah accident was not my fault so would think insurance would sort it just heard stories of them not paying for what it's worth especially when I think it's only cosmetic damage and repairable

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: RTW
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 11:57:00 PM
FYI mate, that part is sacrificial, designed that way so as to avoid frame damage. From what I have seen there's very little justification to WO the bike.

Offline LukeJHull

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 04:47:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Dragon88 [+]
FYI mate, that part is sacrificial, designed that way so as to avoid frame damage. From what I have seen there's very little justification to WO the bike.

Thanks I'm trying to find out as much as I can so I can put forward an argument

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2021, 05:33:09 PM
I crashed a Triumph a few years ago (it was a car though  :008:) I talked to the insurance guy and he said the place I got a repair quote was too expensive, so I chipped in "well, I'd rather fix the thing myself, but that's probably not an option" The guy said "Yes it is" So, basically, the quote was 12-1400 quid, they gave me 1000, and I fixed it myself for 600. It would be worth asking, as 90% of the shops price for repair is labour

Offline LukeJHull

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2021, 09:55:56 PM
Quick update

Bike apparently is a CAT B write off however they are paying me value at £7700 I only.paid 6.5 k so win win ordering a near enough same replacement and colour all I need to add is upper crash bars and will have boxes to sell as well so all good

Offline Roadking22

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: XC Explorer
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 01:59:33 PM
I had my Triumph XC taken there after a van reversed into me, they tried to write mine off, I fought it all the way with the insurance company as 4th dimension is less than useless, git bike repaired and returned. I will never allow a bike to go there again, service is terrible, the damage was well below repair to loss ratio, the issue was with the loan bike that they convinced me to take so that the repair would be done quicker telling me once assessed it would be repaired. Spoke to assessor after I explained about the loan bike  and that as I wasn't using it due to shoulder damage i sent it back he then authorized the repair Don't ever take a loan bike !! and fight it if this is the causal factor for writing off your bike.

Offline LukeJHull

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 02:15:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Roadking22 [+]
I had my Triumph XC taken there after a van reversed into me, they tried to write mine off, I fought it all the way with the insurance company as 4th dimension is less than useless, git bike repaired and returned. I will never allow a bike to go there again, service is terrible, the damage was well below repair to loss ratio, the issue was with the loan bike that they convinced me to take so that the repair would be done quicker telling me once assessed it would be repaired. Spoke to assessor after I explained about the loan bike  and that as I wasn't using it due to shoulder damage i sent it back he then authorized the repair Don't ever take a loan bike !! and fight it if this is the causal factor for writing off your bike.

Yeah strange result for me then even though I did stress I believed the bike was easily repairable but can't complain they valued the bike more than what I paid so I've just collected my new one same year and model with less miles and more looked after just need to add upper crash bars

Offline Roadking22

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: XC Explorer
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 05:53:18 PM
That’s good then, glad you got sorted, just picked up a used XCA 1200 69 with 3600 miles, loved my XC but came across the XCA and decided deal was too good to miss.