Author Topic: Fog Light and Heated Grip  (Read 559 times)

Offline TEX1 MATT

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Merseyside
Fog Light and Heated Grip
on: January 12, 2022, 08:30:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

got a bit of a head scratcher  :084: going on with my bike and would appreciate some help??

So last week my left fog light stopped working (the right one still works) and now this week my left heated grip has stopped working (right one still works).

They are both Standard Triumph parts and the switches are mounted onto of each other next to the left mirror ( The bike came with them on, I didn't fit them)

The bike is a 2013 Generation 1.

Thanks for any suggestions you have
Matt

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
Re: Fog Light and Heated Grip
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 02:16:40 AM
Just browsing here as I haven't had my Explorer for a few years, but you might check the wiring on the left handlebar.  The heated grip wires go through the handlebar and can short out.  There are also some hard to reach connectors under the fuel tank near the triple tree if I recall correctly, and that is where the left and right connectors come together, so maybe one of those has come loose. You will curse whomever designed the fairing plastics.

Or, you might just try spraying some contact cleaner in the switch first to see if that fixes the problem. Good luck.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 01:06:11 PM
All good advice up above (c8

There were several instances of wiring connectors having partly melted (due to arcing forming inside for whatever reason). This would worth checking all them connectors (after having sprayed whatever is accessible with contact cleaner, as suggested).

Offline TEX1 MATT

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Merseyside
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 09:48:29 PM
Thanks for the advice guys,

UPDATE: I stripped the bike apart, Yes there was some swearing at the fairing removal process, and sprayed all the connectors with contact cleaner and everything looked in good condition. Still no progress but then decided to try the other bulb in that fitting and low and behold it worked. New bulb to replace the original and happy days. So was just a bulb gone.

However heated grip is still knackered.

Any more thoughts?

I also removed the grip and the heated wire underneath looked all intact and in good condition so really puzzled now!!!

Bike is all back together with only two bolts left over :152:

Cheers
Matt

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 09:40:23 AM
If the heated grip harness looks ok (have you tested it for continuity?), this could be a (rare) instance of shot resistance. Not much to be done then...

Online Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 10:31:30 AM
The only problem I ever had with heated grips (on my 2015 54,000m steed) was when they would switch off intermittently. 
I bought a new switch and loom and my spannerman fitted them at the next service.
They’ve been perfect eve since.

Hope this helps!

Phil :152: