Author Topic: More basic Newby Advice Please  (Read 427 times)

Online GerPa

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Ride it like you stole it.
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Mackay
More basic Newby Advice Please
on: January 13, 2022, 02:02:40 AM
Please dont shoot and and tell me to use the Search Function. :034: As I have done that and read about the head replacements etc on the earlier machines

I am pretty aware of the Triumph Tripple Engine noises as I have had heard quite a few, (The Old Trident was a quiet as a church Mouse) HOWEVER

My Gen 2 1200 Bike has just done 18,000 klms and was serviced just days before I bought it, the Oil in it I am told by the previous Owner is Ecstar R7000 Oil which is a semi synthetic 10w40.

I live in Nth Queensland Australia where is get reasonably hot and am used to running 20W50 & 20W60's in My Thunderbird.

I just changed out the Motoz Offroad Tyres for Michelin Road 5 trails and that got rid of a heap of road noise, HOWEVER.

When I start the bike up it is what I would class as Very Noisy, Very Whiney engine which definitely seems to get less and quieten down as the motor heats up and when it is at operating temp it has what I would consider the " Normal Triumph Tripple " whine.
Also when riding along I can here a pretty distinct gear train noise as I go through the different ranges and it like wise seems to get less the higher you go in the gear changes and virtually disappears in 5th & 6th.

Are there 2 phenomena what is considered NORMAL for the Triumph 1200 Bikes

Offline Johnnieblack

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xcx 2019
  • City / Town: Gr
Re: More basic Newby Advice Please
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:42:05 AM
hello ! I live in greece and there are plenty hot days here aswell and i never had problem with the oil combination 10/40 , just like the manual recommends . However my engine is a bit noisy at the start as i hit the ignition button and makes a rattling sound which i found out that it is normal as soon as it goes in the next seconds ... in 20.000 km is the valve synch service so i hope it will make the engine going smoother and you hear the triple engine sound , but for me the engine is overall a bit of noisy and can't hear it exactly as the T800 models , its more complex and vibey . I would advise you to get it checked by a dealer because engine noises can vary and may indicate some problems you want to avoid by solving them earlier .  :467:

Online GerPa

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Ride it like you stole it.
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Mackay
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 08:55:11 AM
I dont get any "Out of the Normal Rattling Sounds" or any thing like that on start up.  Just the Loud Whirring Noise that decreases when I get up to Operating temperature. it  sounds like gear train whirring or maybe it's the air intake?? :006: :084: :084: :084: Certainly dosent sound serious. Just that My 1600 Thunderbird is the Sedate Ol 2 Cylinder thumper and it like wise has a noise that is peculiar to that particular 270 degree firing system. :112:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 01:02:51 PM
There's been quite a lot of posts here related to surprising noises at startup.
However, I don't seem to recall a definitive procedure to assess the abnormality of a specific bike's noise.
Maybe if you post a recording of your startup, some experts around could provide you with guidance.

In any case, a "normal" noise level at operating temps would suggest your bike is perfectly sound ;-)