Author Topic: 18" rear wheel for GT Pro / why  (Read 1214 times)

Offline chris1982

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: 18" rear wheel for GT Pro / why
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 07:47:27 PM
I would expect that any new Tiger 1200 Sport would probably have the Speed Triple engine and a chain drive anyway to differentiate it from the other Tiger 1200 bikes, to make it a clear road only bike that would be more towards the Ducati or BMW S1000XR, for example. I'd definitely consider that bike having had two Tiger 1050s previously and found them to be great bikes.

As for the tyre choices, I would suggest that anyone who likes to have the sports touring tyres on their bike (like me) has a look at the choices available for the new bike if they are considering getting one. A 5 minute search of the main manufacturers mentioned (Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Metzeler, etc.) will show that the only tyres available for the Tiger 18in rear are the adventure dual-sport type tyres, not the pure road tyres such as Michelin Road 6 (or 5 previously), Bridgestone T31 or T32, etc. The dual-sport tyres are very good tyres, not too keen on the OEM Metzelers, but if you want choice then anyone who does needs to know what they will let themselves in for first.

Offline Ninja

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Ninja 1000 SX
  • City / Town: Whiterock
Re: 18" rear wheel for GT Pro / why
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 10:28:49 PM
*Originally Posted by chris1982 [+]
As for the tyre choices, I would suggest that anyone who likes to have the sports touring tyres on their bike (like me) has a look at the choices available for the new bike if they are considering getting one. A 5 minute search of the main manufacturers mentioned (Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Metzeler, etc.) will show that the only tyres available for the Tiger 18in rear are the adventure dual-sport type tyres, not the pure road tyres such as Michelin Road 6 (or 5 previously), Bridgestone T31 or T32, etc. The dual-sport tyres are very good tyres, not too keen on the OEM Metzelers, but if you want choice then anyone who does needs to know what they will let themselves in for first.
Good point Chris,,, probable go with an 80/20 ADV tire myself as an eventual replacement, something along the line of the Anakee Adventure so perhaps not an issue for me, as you say, there are a few options in that style,.?
Maybe they will, do an 1150 Sport with 17's and chip it up a bit,,. In the meantime I'll be looking forward to a unbiased review on the on road handling capabilities of the new GT,,.

nonskid