Author Topic: TPMS Low Inflation Pressure Alarm Settings  (Read 820 times)

Offline GerPa

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Ride it like you stole it.
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Mackay
TPMS Low Inflation Pressure Alarm Settings
on: January 27, 2022, 11:23:03 PM
Good morning all 
With Cold Inflation pressures set at Fr 36 and Rear 42.

:084: What is members experience of how many PSI their tyres are down to when the Low Pressure Alarm being activated? Front and Backs please.

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Re: TPMS Low Inflation Pressure Alarm Settings
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 11:28:01 PM
The only time I ever had a puncture on my 2015 (55,000 m) Tiger was a rear, and from memory the red light came on as the pressure fell rapidly through 29, 28, 27 etc.  Just as a pub car park presented itself!  Phew - lucky (or unlucky) depending on which way you look at it.

Phil  :152:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 10:20:20 AM
A couple of things to note.

First off Triumph deviated from the very common tyre pressures of 36/42 PSI to 32/39 PSI on the later bikes. There is a wide range of opinions as to what the most suitable pressures are so you are better off experimenting for yourself to see what suits you best on that one. For instance Bridgestone told me to go to 36/42 when I fitted their tyres regardless of what Triumph said.

From Triumph's user manual
The TPMS warning light will only illuminate red when the front or rear tyre pressure is below the recommended pressure, or no signal is received. It will not illuminate if the tyre is over inflated. So given that the recommended is 32/39 you wouldn't expect to see a warning unless you go below that.

And a reminder, again from Triumph's user manual.
The tyre pressures shown on your instruments indicate the actual tyre pressure at the time of selecting the display. This may differ from the inflation pressure set when the tyres are cold because tyres become warmer during riding, causing the air in the tyre to expand and increase the inflation pressure. The cold inflation pressures specified by Triumph take account of this.
Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:22:08 AM by XCaTel

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 10:55:33 AM
I've never had a warning on the fron tire, but the few times I had a warning on the rear, I think the light came on when the pressure dipped into the low 30s.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 12:53:27 PM
*Originally Posted by GerPa [+]
What is members experience of how many PSI their tyres are down to when the Low Pressure Alarm being activated? Front and Backs please.
I didn't think Triumph listed the trigger levels until I was looking through my 2019 Tiger 1200XRT (Gen3) service manual today and found the following:-

Front Tyre Pressure 2.21 bar (32 lb/in²)
Front Tyre TPMS Warning Light On Pressure 1.93 bar (28 lb/in²)

Rear Tyre Pressure 2.69 bar (39 lb/in²)
Rear Tyre TPMS Warning Light On Pressure 2.27 bar (33 lb/in²)

Looking through some old notes from tests on my Gen 1 Explorer about 5 years ago, the front was triggering at around 30psi (lb/in²) and the rear at 32psi (lb/in²).

...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Vinny

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: '18 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Caldwell
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 06:28:14 AM
*Originally Posted by GerPa [+]
Good morning all 
With Cold Inflation pressures set at Fr 36 and Rear 42.

:084: What is members experience of how many PSI their tyres are down to when the Low Pressure Alarm being activated? Front and Backs please.

I got my TPMS after I had the bike a year (triumph OEM) I was told to never trust what PSI it is telling you but trust that if it says it's low to check your air pressure.  I run my bike at max cold PSI according to the Tyre manufacture right now 39 or 40 PSI (can't remember off the top of my head) the TPMS reads around 42-43 when cold. hope this helps.
I dont know what I'm doing but I'm doing it.

nonskid