Author Topic: Sat nav power  (Read 9045 times)

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Re: Sat nav power
Reply #60 on: May 21, 2022, 08:14:13 AM
*Originally Posted by T1200GTE [+]
The main thing is, it switches off when the bike is powered down.

Deffo  :467:  This was the big thing for me, as started off with the Garmin power adapter wired direct to the battery which in hindsight I should never have done in the first place  :027:

Offline T1200GTE

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 22 Tiger GT Explorer
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #61 on: May 24, 2022, 03:10:44 PM
Having wired mine up to the 12V side of the USB under the seat, I've noticed some strange effects. Under certain conditions, the feed is not live when the engine is running and it seems to depend on the sequence of events when the bike is started.

It has happened a few times following short stops and is very hard to replicate. However, when it does happen, switching the GPS (Garmin XT) off and the bike off and then restarting seems to cure it. It's not a major issue but it is a bit of a pain.

I guess it is to do with overload protection or something... even though the Garmin takes very little power.

Anyway, having just read elsewhere that the rear accessory socket is live on ignition rather than only when the engine is on, I will investigate moving my feed to that one.
Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 03:22:46 PM by T1200GTE

Offline Tlrtone

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Rally Explorer
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Reply #62 on: May 24, 2022, 03:12:57 PM
I've just wired in mine to the accessory socket under the seat and it is ignition on (don't need engine running).

Will try it over a few days to see if all okay, but looks like it will.

Offline T1200GTE

• Explorer Member
Reply #63 on: May 24, 2022, 07:17:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Tlrtone [+]
I've just wired in mine to the accessory socket under the seat and it is ignition on (don't need engine running).

Will try it over a few days to see if all okay, but looks like it will.

Yes, just swapped mine over to the accessory socket under the seat. It now works as I want it to work.  :152:

FWIW, I would recommend anyone reading this thread to take a switched live from the rear of the rear seat accessory socket. The fact that is uses standard spade connectors means it is very easy to do without breaking into the original wiring.

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #64 on: May 24, 2022, 07:34:26 PM
*Originally Posted by T1200GTE [+]

FWIW, I would recommend anyone reading this thread to take a switched live from the rear of the rear seat accessory socket. The fact that is uses standard spade connectors means it is very easy to do without breaking into the original wiring.
:0461: as suggested earlier in this thread - my Gen1 & Gen2 have both been done the same with piggy back spades - very simple and never had an issue
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
Reply #65 on: May 25, 2022, 09:20:31 AM
Can someone take a pic of that point ?
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Tlrtone

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Rally Explorer
Reply #66 on: May 25, 2022, 09:28:26 AM
I spliced into the cables but some just use piggyback connectors.  Personally I'm not a fan of those.

Offline T1200GTE

• Explorer Member
Reply #67 on: May 25, 2022, 10:43:39 AM
No pictures of mine, but I just...

a) removed the USB box by removing two screws from the inside and then pulling it up and towards the front of the bike.
b) made a new piece of wiring (x2, positive and negative) with a male spade on one end and a female spade on the other.
c) remove the plug connector from the rear of the accessory socket. It just pulls off.
c) connect the new piece of wiring (x2) between the rear of the accessory socket and the plug.
d) tap into the new piece of wiring (x2) using posi-tap connectors and join the sat nav wiring.
e) replaced the USB box.

This means it can be removed without any impact on the original wiring.

Offline Guy YMX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 2022
  • City / Town: Laval
Reply #68 on: May 25, 2022, 06:27:27 PM
I plan to use those connectors for the splice harness that will connect to the rear accessory plug

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #69 on: May 25, 2022, 06:30:02 PM
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
Can someone take a pic of that point ?
I will but will have to take some bits off I think to get at it on my Gen2 - your Gen4 won't be much different
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......