Author Topic: Am I Mad buying a Gen 3 instead of the New Gen 4!  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Sunny2020

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200RE
  • City / Town: Chicago
Re: Am I Mad buying a Gen 3 instead of the New Gen 4!
Reply #30 on: June 23, 2022, 04:53:37 PM
Not sure what serious is for everyone else, but I do single track.  Get some air every now and then. . .   Nothing like what would be considered serious on a dirt bike or true old school dual sport. .

I certainly appreciate the 21s up front and suspension travel, which all gets used. 

Mostly road but stuff well past gravel for sure as well.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Master
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #31 on: June 23, 2022, 05:33:19 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]

Hands up how many people here use there mondo litre plus ADV bikes for serious off-road riding...

anyone...?

Does wishing I could do that count?

I couldn't manage "serious" off-roading on my XT250 or KLR650.

But I didn't try that until in my late 40s and didn't have any training.

I admire the guys with the balls to do it and do it well.  Or at least try.

So many roads, so little time.

Offline Sunny2020

• Explorer Member
Reply #32 on: June 23, 2022, 06:25:48 PM
I’ll stick with the at least try.

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #33 on: June 23, 2022, 06:40:41 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Hands up how many people here use there mondo litre plus ADV bikes for serious off-road riding...

anyone...?

Wouldn't call it serious - more enthusiastic casual  :001:
I've taken my 1200 XCA on the rough stuff on several occasions along with a buddy on his Africa Twin...  mostly forestry tracks, but also a couple of rocky mountain passes. Not everyones cup of tea, and TBH if I was going specifically to ride trails (rather than do it as an off-road section as part of a longer trip), I'd take a smaller more agile bike.

CC 

Offline Sunny2020

• Explorer Member
Reply #34 on: June 23, 2022, 06:47:16 PM
The qualifiers are good.  Serious for me may be a walk in the park for someone else.  I live in chicago so my offroad on this, other than local practice, is on rather long trips.  One to Virginia and one from Washington back through Utah and to Illinois for this year.  So no interest in doing this on a smaller bike.  Can be done for sure, I’m just not going to do it.  Partly why I got rid of my 800XCa.   Granted the thing that surprised me is the new 1200 feels more nimble and lighter offroad than my 800 did.  Also, way more fun to ride on road.  (For me.). The 1200 was easier to pick up from the ground as well.  Probably due to wider tank on explorer, wider engine guard and lower center of mass.
Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 07:35:23 PM by Sunny2020

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Reply #35 on: June 25, 2022, 12:38:34 AM
The more I read about the Gen4, the more I suspect that it’s been built very strictly down to a price.  Probably more accountants than engineers at development meetings. 

Even if it were otherwise faultless, for me personally the T plane vibes are a complete deal breaker and given the press reviews, I can imagine the Gen5 appearing quite soon with a detuned Speed Triple motor with 120 degree crank.

Just as BMW launch an R1500GS hydrogen/electric hybrid . . .
Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 12:40:05 AM by mcchoc

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #36 on: June 25, 2022, 01:06:46 AM
*Originally Posted by mcchoc [+]
Just as BMW launch an R1500GS hydrogen/electric hybrid . . .
Or maybe someone will produce a fuel-cell pure electric version with no IC engine at all.  (But it might have to have a trailer permanently attached with the fuel and converter on it.)

I've gone though a cycle of Honda 4, Yamaha 4, Yamaha 4, Triumph 3, Triumph 3 (almost as smooth as a 4).  I love a smooth quiet bike.
It looks like the gen4 will not suit me.  One problem is... the dealer here may not let me ride fast enough or at high enough revs, to experience the engine vibration.
I don't want to buy something and not find its faults until after it is run in.
Did anyone else strike that limitation on their test ride?

But financial logic alone might prevent me going from a gen3 to a gen4.
More likely to go to a smaller solo bike, or give up altogether, as the missus and I get older.
We have a member of my club (older than me) who has recently bought a Spyder, but has now given up because his arthritis has got too bad.
On the other hand, another member still rides on our Wednesday twisty rides at 89.  We all hope he will be still going past 90.  (He rides a Honda 700.)
Health trumps money when it comes to bike decisions.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #37 on: June 26, 2022, 02:42:06 PM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Or maybe someone will produce a fuel-cell pure electric version with no IC engine at all.  (But it might have to have a trailer permanently attached with the fuel and converter on it.)

I've gone though a cycle of Honda 4, Yamaha 4, Yamaha 4, Triumph 3, Triumph 3 (almost as smooth as a 4).  I love a smooth quiet bike.
It looks like the gen4 will not suit me.  One problem is... the dealer here may not let me ride fast enough or at high enough revs, to experience the engine vibration.
I don't want to buy something and not find its faults until after it is run in.
Did anyone else strike that limitation on their test ride?

But financial logic alone might prevent me going from a gen3 to a gen4.
More likely to go to a smaller solo bike, or give up altogether, as the missus and I get older.
We have a member of my club (older than me) who has recently bought a Spyder, but has now given up because his arthritis has got too bad.
On the other hand, another member still rides on our Wednesday twisty rides at 89.  We all hope he will be still going past 90.  (He rides a Honda 700.)
Health trumps money when it comes to bike decisions.
This brings up a good point. The demographic of many who post here is Boomer + . This is a twilight demographic for Triumph. I think that T has decided that they want to compete for the big A adventure demographic rather than the touring folks. They see the competition is all twins: KTM and BMW and Yamaha and Suzuki and Aprilia and even Moto Guzzi. And people buy them.

BMW sold almost 200,000 bikes last year - a record for them. Here, a fully loaded R1250 GSA out the door is C $40,000. And people buy them.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline nehpetsthegrey

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1050 sport
  • City / Town: southampton
Reply #38 on: July 04, 2022, 06:31:11 PM
*Originally Posted by CraptainC [+]
Wouldn't call it serious - more enthusiastic casual  :001:
I've taken my 1200 XCA on the rough stuff on several occasions along with a buddy on his Africa Twin...  mostly forestry tracks, but also a couple of rocky mountain passes. Not everyones cup of tea, and TBH if I was going specifically to ride trails (rather than do it as an off-road section as part of a longer trip), I'd take a smaller more agile bike.
Ok. I have the gen 3. Its like getting back to my roots.
And in reply. Every time there is ANY grass beneath my tyres is damm serious.
CC