Author Topic: LED light upgrade options  (Read 1504 times)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Master
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: LED light upgrade options
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 12:04:03 AM
I just ordered a set of these to try out.

$37 per pair to my door in the US; arrive Friday.

They look similar to the ones mentioned above, with the emitters much closer to the positioning of the stock halogen filaments.  I'm hoping for improvement in 2 areas over the Cyclops units currently installed:  better (more focused) beam pattern and easier installation.

The Cyclops units are bright, but the beams are scattered.  And they were challenging squeeze into headlight assembly due to the little box that supplies power to the bulb.

Worth a shot at any rate.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XRx Low
  • City / Town: Stalmine, Lancs
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 07:22:40 AM
JG / 13explorer87... I will be VERY surprised if you dont like them..

I am sure you already know this but a quick statement to those who may not...
When a headlight dazzles due to bad LED's (or a badly designed reflector) the scattered light means there is light escaping to areas where its not supposed to go.. (Sywards and areas other than the road)..
When its focused correctly more light goes on the road..

When I installed mine I went out that night and noticed the beam though very sharp and precise was a tad too low.. I checked the adjustment lever behind the right headlight (Page 210 Owners manual) and found it was set in the "Loaded" position (Dipped slightly)..
When I altered this it was far better with the light filling the road further on..
So if you ride solo mainly then just check this lever is set correctly..
To Quote the manual:

The headlight unit is equipped with an adjuster lever to allow the vertical adjustment to be corrected when the motorcycle is fully loaded.
For normal (unloaded) conditions, the headlight adjuster lever should be set in the horizontal position (2).(Lever to the right).
For loaded conditions, move the headlight adjuster lever until it is inposition (1). (Lever to the left)
This will lower the headlight beams by approximately 2°.

There is also a vertical adjustment screw, if you need a greater adjustment than the lever provides
Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:40:05 AM by Speedy
Power is how hard you hit the wall...
Torque is how far you take the wall with you !

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Pro
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 07:30:16 AM
I have just looked through the photos of previous bikes and I had made a mistake (Yes Really !! Lol)..
The LED conversion I did was NOT on the Suzuki GSX1400 I owned..
It was a Honda CB1300

Here are the photos..
Now keep in mind the Hondas headlight was a single soso unit that is NOT as good as the twin headlights fitted to the triumph, so this will give an idea..
Also as I said previously the phones camera doesnt show it as your eyes do, as the camera stopps down due to the extra light.

Dipped Halogen

Dipped LED

High Beam Halogen

High Beam LED

Note how similar the beam patterns are on the wall !

Dipped Halogen

Dipped LED

High Beam Halogen

High Beam LED
Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:36:16 AM by Speedy

Offline Speedy

• Explorer Pro
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 07:31:37 AM
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
I have just looked through the photos of previous bikes and I had made a mistake (Yes Really !! Lol)..
The LED conversion I did was NOT on the Suzuki GSX1400 I owned..
It was a Honda CB1300

Here are the photos..
Now keep in mind the Hondas headlight was a single soso unit that is NOT as good as the twin headlights fitted to the triumph, so this will give and idea..
Also as I said previously the phones camera doesnt show it as your eyes do, as the camera stopps down due to the extra light.

Dipped Halogen

Dipped LED

High beam Halogen

High Beam LED

Note how similar the beam patterns are on the wall !

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Master
  • Up the Irons!
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 01:29:59 PM
Installed my new bulbs this morning.

I didn't get out on the road before dark to see if to what degree the pattern had changed (as compared to my Cyclops units).  Maybe tonight.

Comparing the pattern on the garage door, the DZG pattern is tighter and more focused.

Also much easier to install- no driver box to squeeze into the headlight assembly.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Master
  • Up the Irons!
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 12:31:56 PM
The beam pattern with the DZGs is much better than with my Cyclops bulbs.  I d didn't take pictures yet, but I will if anyone wants to see them.

They pattern very similar to the pictures Speedy posted, and at $37 a pair to my door, the price is hard to beat.  I'll have to update if I have any issues with them, but so far, they are a step or two up from what I had installed.

I don't want to say the Cyclops bulbs were bad- they weren't.  They seemed very high quality, and put out a bright white light.  The beam pattern was simply more scattered.  And, I bought these bulbs in 2017.  The newer versions from Cyclops are probably better. 

Beam pattern aside, it sure was nice nice to simply put the LED bulb in the socket and plug it in.  Installing and removing the Cyclops bults tood a good deal of fiddling around to get the driver boxrs in and out of the housing.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 01:03:06 PM
Interesting LED musings here ;-)

When I had my previous Mk1, I went this route and ultimately bailed out, when I found the result was not worth the hassle (see pic).
I get that some suppliers finally sorted the beam pattern problem. Result!

HOWEVER, I 'm still a  strong believer (who said 'obsessive'?!) in additional lights. Properly wired to the battery (with fuseblock and relays that is), they not only make you more conspicuous, but can allow to fill in the blanks of the main headlight.
And when said headlight fails (don't ask), you still have light keeping you alive across that nightly tight corner.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Master
  • Up the Irons!
Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 05:05:54 PM
Nik-

I couldn't agree more.

Which is why I always run (day or night) with my OEM fog lights and Denali D2s (mounted on my upper crash bars) powered on.

I also added LED turn signals to my handguards.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2022, 03:27:42 PM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
I also added LED turn signals to my handguards.
I did a nice switchback (white/amber) handguards mod on my Mk1s, but didn't do it to the Mk3 (afraid of not being able to get the turn signal from the canbus system).
Surely attracted attention at all times!

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 01:10:23 AM
I decided to upgrade the headlights on my 2012 Explorer with Cyclops Led H4 bulbs. They were a little bit fiddly to get installed but they worked fine until I found that my turn signals stopped operating. I reinstalled then thinking I had done something incorrectly but that was not the issue.

In order to get the turn signals working I removed one (and it didn't matter which one) and but the halogen back in and the turn signals work fine, as do the emergency flashers.

I called Cyclops for assistance and they had no idea what caused the issue. I like the bright white light and would like to use both of them.

Anybody have any suggestions. I did swap the bulbs and igniters around but that made no difference.
Mikie

nonskid