Author Topic: Side panels Gen 4  (Read 1183 times)

Offline rider2

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Side panels Gen 4
on: June 22, 2022, 12:25:30 PM
Hello ,I want to make a wire from the Navi to my USB socket under the backseat .
I am bit careful with the left side panel and don’t know where to pull an to screw.
Does somebody know where to find a “ exploded” drawing of the left side panel ?

Offline Guy YMX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 2022
  • City / Town: Laval
Re: Side panels Gen 4
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 04:27:00 PM

Offline rider2

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 09:20:14 PM
Thanks,very helpful  :467:

Online Whippet

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 07:05:23 AM
That’s a great video thanks.

Offline GvG

• Explorer Member
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 08:34:22 AM
Is it just me or is the inside of some washers way to big for the bolt (fueltank at 5.35)   :187: Looks a bit cheap, especially if you compare it to BMW bolts (all stainless steel)
Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:36:32 AM by GvG

Online Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '22 GT Pro
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 03:02:05 PM
 :821: great guide.

Offline Guy YMX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 2022
  • City / Town: Laval
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 06:53:39 PM
All the credit goes to the original cinematographer  :028:, not me, but I used it for my installations.

Offline ExRider

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '22 GT Explorer
  • City / Town: Nittedal
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 06:02:36 PM
 :464:
Anyone done the same panel removal on a GT Explorer?

Offline jjscsix

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Texas
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 08:10:59 PM
*Originally Posted by ExRider [+]
:464:
Anyone done the same panel removal on a GT Explorer?

Yes, I have.  I don’t have the means to post pics on this forum, but I’ll try to explain it. 

Remove both seats.   At the very front of the front seat at the frame area there is a bolt that screws outward to hold the Matt black side panel.  Remove that.

On the side of the tank in front of the main painted panel (black, blue or white) there is a piece that for lack of better description looks like a backwards “s” and is Matt black.   At the top of that piece you can see a black bolt.  Remove that bolt.   At that point that piece will practically fall off.   Gently lift it up and off the bike.

Behind that piece and to the right you will see two silver bolts. You will be able to tell that they hold the lower part of the pained panel on.  Remove both of those bolts.  I’ll be honest and admit I don’t recall if they both have to come off, but I did.

Now look to the forward of the bike in that same area and you will see another silver bolt that you should be able to tell also holds the bottom of the painted panel.  Remove it. 

At this point you can remove the side panels of the tank.  The painted piece and the Matt black piece between the painted panel and the seat are joined together.   Leave them joined together.  At this point lift those to pieces gently straight up.  The painted panel wraps around the front part way.  All that just lifts straight up. Everything should come off.   As you do it be careful not to tilt the piece out or pull it straight sideways off as there are clips that could break. 

BEWARE:   The bolts you remove are not all the same length and they have different or no washers on them.  Use some system to know where to put them when reassembling.  Also, the two bolts behind the backwards “S” piece look like they could easily fall into the black hole of motorcycles where they will never be seen again.

I am able to post picks on the other forum.  I think I’ll cut and paste a new thread on that forum and add pics. I’ll report back here when complete.
Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 08:13:32 PM by jjscsix
Jim
2023 Tiger 1200 GT Explorer
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
2018 CBR 1000RR

Offline GvG

• Explorer Member
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:21:22 PM
Very helpful mate  :467:

nonskid