Author Bike dying when you are slowing down to stop  (Read 14841 times)

• Offline Bravo3   in

• Explorer Junior  ‐    10

Offline Bravo3

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: 2022 1200 Rally Pro
    Re: Bike dying when you are slowing down to stop
    Reply #100 on: September 28, 2022, 02:39:10 pm
    September 28, 2022, 02:39:10 pm
    I had the bike stalling issue today, was riding back home must have happened 10 or 12 times. In over 4500kms it didn't happen once. But today it did. Pulled in the clutch in 5th and it died and numerous times in other gears. Showed it at the workshop they have no clue how to fix it either.

• Offline Advrider   00

• Explorer Junior  ‐    5

Offline Advrider

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: 1200 Rally Explorer
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    Reply #101 on: October 18, 2022, 09:57:10 am
    October 18, 2022, 09:57:10 am
    *Originally Posted by jjscsix [+]
    Thanks. I noticed today several times when pulling the clutch in how the RPMs would drop to about 1,000 then fluctuate up and down quite a bit for several seconds on its own.

I am seeing exactly the same thing. It is happening at least once per ride to and back from work now. It's not a cold thing because the weather is warming up here.
    I noticed today that it happen in second or third gear when I am gearing down and when the clutch is in. I did also notice today that the revs fluctuated up and down rapidly before cutting out.
    Another thing that is puzzling is that you cannot just let out the clutch to start it again - you need to press the stater button to get it started again.
    I'll try turning the quickshifter off to see if that makes a difference. I am also concerned about stalling when in a corner where I cannot accelerate to right the bike.

• Offline Advrider   00

• Explorer Junior  ‐    5

Offline Advrider

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: 1200 Rally Explorer
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    Reply #102 on: October 18, 2022, 10:04:40 am
    October 18, 2022, 10:04:40 am
    *Originally Posted by Ninja [+]
    All I can say is the stalling is obviously not normal, I'm at 2500 kms, in my experience, I have yet to stall this bike as described here or even just starting out, perhaps once when I was using the joy stick and dropped the clutch with no throttle & not paying attention,.
    That rev boost at start seems to work pretty well for me,,.

You guys need to get to the dealer for a solution,,.

I have only just started seeing this problem myself. now at least twice per ride to work. This only started about a week ago after about 2600 km on the bike.

• Offline WDG   us

• Explorer Junior  ‐    8

Offline WDG

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: 1200 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Fort Worth, Texas
    Reply #103 on: October 18, 2022, 04:13:33 pm
    October 18, 2022, 04:13:33 pm
    The Triumph rep was at our dealership a few weeks ago, and I asked him about both the dying and occasional idle fluctuation. He suggested it could be caused by a problem with the fuel.

I’m pretty consistent about where I gas from, and am clearly not seeing these problems as often as some others, so who knows. I was seeing it more than usual on our trip to South Dakota, so am wondering if there might be something to the idea.

While I’m not convinced this is the cause, it might be useful to keep track of where you buy gas, and see if you can correlate issues to any particular source.

• Offline Sunny2020   us

• Explorer Pro  ‐    128

Offline Sunny2020

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: Tiger 1200RE
    • City / Town: Chicago
    Reply #104 on: October 18, 2022, 04:54:11 pm
    October 18, 2022, 04:54:11 pm
    I dumped my bike going over cinnamon pass.  Was on the ground for maybe 20 minutes.   Oddly when I brought it back up for the next 1/2 hour the idle was going rapidly up and down when in the high idle phase of clutch release.  Stopped after a while. 

In 4000miles it stalled once.  Clutch in 3-2, dead. . .   Didn’t do it once otherwise. So this is about 4-5 times total.  I have around 6k miles on the bike since June.

• Offline Guy YMX   ca

• Explorer Pro  ‐    162

Offline Guy YMX

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: Tiger 1200RP 2023
    • City / Town: Laval
    Reply #105 on: October 18, 2022, 05:22:35 pm
    October 18, 2022, 05:22:35 pm
    *Originally Posted by WDG [+]
    The Triumph rep was at our dealership a few weeks ago, and I asked him about both the dying and occasional idle fluctuation. He suggested it could be caused by a problem with the fuel.

I’m pretty consistent about where I gas from, and am clearly not seeing these problems as often as some others, so who knows. I was seeing it more than usual on our trip to South Dakota, so am wondering if there might be something to the idea.

While I’m not convinced this is the cause, it might be useful to keep track of where you buy gas, and see if you can correlate issues to any particular source.
    I don't have the problem, but I would be really concerned that it is related to fuel "quality", you can't always choose when you are on a road trip, I can imagine being stranded in the middle of nowhere because of fuel quality.
    I some areas of Canada it is difficult to get 91 octane gas, it puts a serious ding in the "adventure" pretentions of this bike if you can only ride where you can find a super reliable gas source.

• Offline Bravo3   in

Offline Bravo3

• Explorer Junior
    Reply #106 on: October 18, 2022, 06:50:11 pm
    October 18, 2022, 06:50:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by Bravo3 [+]
    I had the bike stalling issue today, was riding back home must have happened 10 or 12 times. In over 4500kms it didn't happen once. But today it did. Pulled in the clutch in 5th and it died and numerous times in other gears. Showed it at the workshop they have no clue how to fix it either.

My issue has been resolved. The idle engine RPM has been increase to 1300. This prevents it from dropping below 1000(which causes the stall). Since then no stalling issues .

• Offline Tiger666   us

• Explorer Junior  ‐    9

Offline Tiger666

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: `23 GT Explorer 1200
    • City / Town: Long Island, NY, USA
    Reply #107 on: October 18, 2022, 07:50:45 pm
    October 18, 2022, 07:50:45 pm
    *Originally Posted by Bravo3 [+]
    My issue has been resolved. The idle engine RPM has been increase to 1300. This prevents it from dropping below 1000(which causes the stall). Since then no stalling issues .

Please elaborate.  How did you increase the idle rpm?  I assume the dealer had to tap into the computer and do some custom tuning?  Was this something recommended by Triumph, or just the brilliance of an ace dealer mechanic?  Increasing the idle rpm on this bike seems like a great idea overall, even to reduce the incidence of accidental stalls when starting from a stop.

I can't imagine that fuel quality is the cause of this stalling issue since too many people, from all regions, are having this stalling issue.  I ride five different motorcycles regularly in the same area (Indians, KTM, Yamaha, etc), using the same fuel stations, always 93 octane, all the other bikes have been running perfectly, never a stall or glitch of any type from the other bikes, only the Triumph stalls.

I'm pretty confident that the Triumph itself has an issue and it should be considered dangerous.  Stalling from stops and stalling while riding along on the motorway in traffic can potentially be very dangerous.  I can't imagine that this issue cannot be fixed, likely just a matter of a computer tuning adjustment, idle increase, etc.  Triumph should be calling *all* these bikes back to the dealer for a fix... ASAP... before someone gets seriously hurt.   

• Offline Bravo3   in

Offline Bravo3

• Explorer Junior
    Reply #108 on: October 18, 2022, 08:39:51 pm
    October 18, 2022, 08:39:51 pm
    The head mechanic recommended it. Have to remove the fuel tank to access the throttle body and set it from there. Since then it's perfect.

• Offline Sunny2020   us

• Explorer Pro  ‐    128

Offline Sunny2020

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: Tiger 1200RE
    • City / Town: Chicago
    Reply #109 on: October 18, 2022, 08:41:58 pm
    October 18, 2022, 08:41:58 pm
    I have heard a new flash fixes this.  Has been more annoying than anything else.  Never happens with quickshift just clutch.  I believe it is an idle setting.  Just doesn’t catch it on the drop sometimes.  Once for me in last 4000 miles.

nonskid