Author Topic: Bike dying when you are slowing down to stop  (Read 6947 times)

Offline jjscsix

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Texas
Bike dying when you are slowing down to stop
on: June 25, 2022, 04:37:41 PM
Is anyone having a problem with the bike dying when you are slowing down to stop and still rolling? Mine does it and a friend test rode one that did it.   It is sporadic and I’m not seeing a pattern, partly because I don’t realize it has died right away.
Jim
2023 Tiger 1200 GT Explorer
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
2018 CBR 1000RR

Offline Tab90925

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2023 Tiger 1200 RP
Re: Bike dying when you are slowing down to stop
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 04:44:37 PM
*Originally Posted by jjscsix [+]
I was curious about the same thing.  Is anyone having a problem with the bike dying when you are slowing down to stop and still rolling? Mine does it and a friend test rode one that did it.   It is sporadic and I’m not seeing a pattern, partly because I don’t realize it has died right away.

Go read my thread about all of my issues. I had this exact same issue last week. Thought it was related to my other issues but maybe not.

Offline T1200GTE

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 22 Tiger GT Explorer
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 04:48:22 PM
I was curious about the same thing.  Is anyone having a problem with the bike dying when you are slowing down to stop and still rolling? Mine does it and a friend test rode one that did it.   It is sporadic and I’m not seeing a pattern, partly because I don’t realize it has died right away.

I've had this happen 3 or 4 times. I think it's something to do with the combination of throttle opening and clutch position. Once or twice it has happened when I've been slowing into a junction and then beginning to accelerate. When this happens, it's obviously not good when the engine stalls.

I've been trying to determine the pattern in order to repeat it (or avoid it), but so far, I can't figure it out.

Offline Tab90925

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2023 Tiger 1200 RP
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 05:00:14 PM
For me it happened 5 times in about 10 miles. Seemed to happen when at higher RPMs and pulling in the clutch to come to a stop. Never did it the first 1200 miles then happened a bunch when taking the bike in for another issue

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Explorer Pro
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 02:22:27 PM
This thread has been split from the "Why 2 standards on Fuel" topic as the subject matter is completely different.

Reminder to OP - please post in the correct thread or start a New Topic if one does not exist. Please don't take threads off-topic.

Offline jjscsix

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 05:15:25 PM
I posted there because there was already a discussion in that thread about the bike being hard to start and I saw possible relationship between being hard to start and dying. 

Also, in the first post of that thread the OP said “ Does this mean the engine runs fine on 91RON”.  A bike dying is a bike not running fine.  That’s why I thought the question was appropriate. 
Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 05:21:18 PM by jjscsix
Jim
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
2018 CBR 1000RR

Offline Ninja

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Ninja 1000 SX
  • City / Town: Whiterock
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 08:39:35 PM
All I can say is the stalling is obviously not normal, I'm at 2500 kms, in my experience, I have yet to stall this bike as described here or even just starting out, perhaps once when I was using the joy stick and dropped the clutch with no throttle & not paying attention,.
That rev boost at start seems to work pretty well for me,,.

You guys need to get to the dealer for a solution,,.

Offline GvG

• Explorer Member
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 08:49:01 PM
On a german Tiger 1200 Gen4 forum there are also couple of owners who have stalling, engine brake and on/off throttle response problems  :084:

Offline Icy

• Explorer God
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 09:47:52 PM
Is anyone having a problem with the bike dying when you are slowing down to stop and still rolling? Mine does it and a friend test rode one that did it.   It is sporadic and I’m not seeing a pattern, partly because I don’t realize it has died right away.

Yes - this happened to me on one tiger sporadically. No errors, simply engine cutting off and I could only notice it because throttle response would be gone. I could always restart the engine by pulling the clutch in and hitting the started. This always happened when I used engine compression. Misaligned pistons / misfiring was the cause.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline jjscsix

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 11:38:20 PM
I’m also getting some responses on another forum saying it has happened to them.  That’s a good think because it will get Triumph to fix it.  I have no doubt to will be an ECU flash fix.

Thanks 
Jim
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
2018 CBR 1000RR