Author High flow air filter DNA  (Read 607 times)

• Offline JorgeM   mx

• Explorer Junior  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline JorgeM

• Explorer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger 1200 Rally Ex
    • City / Town: México
    High flow air filter DNA
    on: August 17, 2022, 07:06:05 pm
    August 17, 2022, 07:06:05 pm
    Hi everyone!

I decided to change the original air filter for a high flow one, I leave you my impressions and comments.  :467:

The first thing is that in order to change it, it is necessary to remove the fenders, the plastics and the gas tank to access the air filter compartment (a lot of work for an air filter) and to be able to make the change.

The change is very simple, remove, change a screw and that's it! New Filter!  :047:

I did it with the distributor to avoid warranty issues, to document the process, to leave in the manual that the change was made, etc. It's 2 hours of workshop labor but it's better to pay that than have problems in the future.

Negative comments:151:

Access to the air filter compartment is laborious.

The labor cost is equal to the cost of the high flow filter.

Positive comments:467: :467:

The sound is spectacular! I love how it sounds with this new filter.

Filter for "life" with its respective maintenance.

Money savings in each service that the motorcycle needs (air filter parts are no longer purchased).

Higher yields according to the manufacturer (I am going to continue testing and I will tell you about the gasoline consumption or some improvement)

The perception of having an even lighter bike (my thoughts LOL)

I highly recommend this change. I leave the link of the filter and some images.

Greetings to all!

Filter: https://www.e-dnafilters.co.uk/product/Motorcycle-Filters/Triumph/DNA-2057/TRM-TER/Triumph-Tiger-1200-Series-(2022)-DNA-Air-Filter-P-TR12E22-01?utm_campaign=dnafilters&utm_medium=dnafilters&utm_source=w_dnafilter&source=w_dnafilter

Pic´s:

• Offline Meese   us

• Explorer Member  ‐    28

Offline Meese

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
    • City / Town: West Linn, OR
    Re: High flow air filter DNA
    Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 02:47:44 am
    August 18, 2022, 02:47:44 am
    Warning: "High Flow" filters tend to flow more air by having larger "holes" which means they tend to pass more and larger particulate matter. This is usually the kind of stuff the factory filter is trying to keep out of your engine internals...

So you get to spend more money up front, still have to remove the filter regularly to wash, re-oil, and reinstall, and potentially cause more wear on pistons and cylinders for a potential "performance boost" that can't be easily measured?

No, thanks...
    Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 02:52:06 am by Meese
    Ken IBA# 366
    '16 Tiger 800 XCx, '13 K16GTL, '09 K13GT-LD, '03 K12LT
    A journey of a thousand miles begins in first gear...

• Offline XCaTel   ie

• Explorer God  ‐    2832

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer God
    • Bike: 2018 XCa
    • City / Town: County Kildare
    Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 03:40:04 pm
    August 19, 2022, 03:40:04 pm
     :0461: no saving at all. Labour is expensive (to clean), replacement Triumph filters are cheap enough and have a long enough service interval. Just by buying one and payng the labour to have it fitted early has lost any financial gain you might have made.

On a more positive note, if that increases the induction note and you like it then who cares!  :046:

• Offline Jon   us

• Explorer God  ‐    7097

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
    • Bike: 2012 TEX
    • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
    Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 03:55:20 pm
    August 19, 2022, 03:55:20 pm
    *Originally Posted by Meese [+]
    Warning: "High Flow" filters tend to flow more air by having larger "holes" which means they tend to pass more and larger particulate matter. This is usually the kind of stuff the factory filter is trying to keep out of your engine internals...

So you get to spend more money up front, still have to remove the filter regularly to wash, re-oil, and reinstall, and potentially cause more wear on pistons and cylinders for a potential "performance boost" that can't be easily measured?

No, thanks...

:0461: This is exactly why I quit using the one & only K&N air filter I've ever owned. They're not worth the extra hassle IMO. I put the K&N cold air kit on an older Dodge Dakota. It sounded great but added no extra performance & was a pain to clean & relube.
    Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 03:58:14 pm by Jon
    Jon

• Offline UrsusPolaris   fr

• Explorer Member  ‐    37

Offline UrsusPolaris

• Explorer Member
    • City / Town: Essonne
    Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 09:26:06 pm
    August 20, 2022, 09:26:06 pm
    *Originally Posted by Jon [+]
    :0461: This is exactly why I quit using the one & only K&N air filter I've ever owned. They're not worth the extra hassle IMO. I put the K&N cold air kit on an older Dodge Dakota. It sounded great but added no extra performance & was a pain to clean & relube.
    Hi,

I did it on my previous motorbike (Guzzi Calif EV). I agree with you Jon. It is a pain to clean the filter. At the end, it is more expensive than the original parts with no gain !