Author OEM tyres  (Read 4257 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

  • Online sirsidneyrd   gb

    • Explorer Master  ‐    1799
    • ****
      #20

    Online sirsidneyrd

    • Explorer Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 1799
    • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
    • City / Town: Cotswolds
    • Country: gb
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 08:54:34 pm
    September 29, 2022, 08:54:34 pm
    I had Avons on my 2012 Explorer - excellent tyres will be replacing the Next on the Gen 4 shortly
    Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

  • Offline bwmoto   us

    • Explorer Junior  ‐    5
    • *
      #21

    Offline bwmoto

    • Explorer Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 5
    • Bike: 1200 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Tallahasee
    • Country: us
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #21 on: November 14, 2022, 12:09:47 am
    November 14, 2022, 12:09:47 am
    After 3000 miles on my GT Explorer I have really bad wear on my front tire. It is choppy with a sharp ridge running just off center. The rear has more of a center flat area than I've seen on other tires and bikes I've owned. Just not pleased with the Metzelers. Tire pressure is checked weekly at a minimum. With lots of dirt roads in north Florida and South Georgia I'm going with the Anakee Adventure. I really enjoy light off-roading on this bike but the tires definitely need some help. Anyone else putting 80/20 tires (or knobbier) on their GT?

  • Offline Bruce Wayne   nl

    • Explorer Pro  ‐    379
    • ***
      #22

    Offline Bruce Wayne

    • Explorer Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 379
    • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
    • City / Town: Winterswijk
    • Country: nl
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #22 on: November 16, 2022, 06:00:37 pm
    November 16, 2022, 06:00:37 pm
    *Originally Posted by bwmoto [+]
    After 3000 miles on my GT Explorer I have really bad wear on my front tire. It is choppy with a sharp ridge running just off center. The rear has more of a center flat area than I've seen on other tires and bikes I've owned. Just not pleased with the Metzelers. Tire pressure is checked weekly at a minimum. With lots of dirt roads in north Florida and South Georgia I'm going with the Anakee Adventure. I really enjoy light off-roading on this bike but the tires definitely need some help. Anyone else putting 80/20 tires (or knobbier) on their GT?

    I just switched to the Bridgestone AT41. Only done 200 km on them but so far so good.

  • Offline ExRider   no

    • Explorer Member  ‐    40
    • **
      #23

    Offline ExRider

    • Explorer Member
    • **
    • Posts: 40
    • Bike: '22 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Nittedal
    • Country: no
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #23 on: November 20, 2022, 09:27:58 am
    November 20, 2022, 09:27:58 am
    I don't like the original Tourance Next that came with my GT Explorer (also came with my two previous Tigers). Could hardly wait to get rid of them. They lasted 8000km, and normally I would change to Scorpion Trail II but this time my dealer could not get the front tyre in the correct size. After hard work with google and youtube i ended up with Dunlop Trailmax Meridian and I love them. This is my new favorite tyre :002:

  • Offline bwmoto   us

    • Explorer Junior  ‐    5
    • *
      #24

    Offline bwmoto

    • Explorer Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 5
    • Bike: 1200 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Tallahasee
    • Country: us
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 04:26:21 pm
    November 20, 2022, 04:26:21 pm
    I ended up going with the Michelin Anakee Adventure. Had them installed this past week and put a couple hundred miles on them this weekend. I really like them a lot. Road noise is minimal, traction on pavement is excellent and predictable, traction on sandy dirt roads is 100% better than the Metzelers, and the profile of the tire really makes for a smooth transition into and out of curves. I'm happy with my decision so far.



  • Offline bigwave   es

    • Explorer Junior  ‐    7
    • *
      #25

    Offline bigwave

    • Explorer Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 7
    • Bike: GT Explorer
    • Country: es
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 10:08:11 am
    November 21, 2022, 10:08:11 am
    bwmoto, have you tried in wet?

  • Offline bwmoto   us

    • Explorer Junior  ‐    5
    • *
      #26

    Offline bwmoto

    • Explorer Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 5
    • Bike: 1200 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Tallahasee
    • Country: us
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #26 on: November 21, 2022, 12:09:02 pm
    November 21, 2022, 12:09:02 pm
    Hey bigwave.
    Yeah Saturday night it rained pretty good through the night and when I got up to ride Sunday morning the roads were still pretty wet. I was very pleased with their attitude on wet pavement and eventually I just rode as if the roads were dry and they did fine. I have not ridden during heavy rain with them though. One of the biggest reasons I chose Michelin is because of their wet weather silica they use in the tires. I know other brands do as well.  Most of my other bikes wear some sort of Michelin as well as my truck so I suppose I’m a bit of a fan.

  • Offline bigwave   es

    • Explorer Junior  ‐    7
    • *
      #27

    Offline bigwave

    • Explorer Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 7
    • Bike: GT Explorer
    • Country: es
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #27 on: November 21, 2022, 02:41:50 pm
    November 21, 2022, 02:41:50 pm
    Thanks alot bwmoto. I´ll take those into consideration in my next change.

  • Offline wassers   gb

    • Explorer Member  ‐    88
    • **
      #28

    Offline wassers

    • Explorer Member
    • **
    • Posts: 88
    • Bike: GT Exp & Speed Twin
    • City / Town: SANDHURST
    • Country: gb
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #28 on: November 21, 2022, 04:27:56 pm
    November 21, 2022, 04:27:56 pm
    *Originally Posted by bwmoto [+]
    I ended up going with the Michelin Anakee Adventure. Had them installed this past week and put a couple hundred miles on them this weekend. I really like them a lot. Road noise is minimal, traction on pavement is excellent and predictable, traction on sandy dirt roads is 100% better than the Metzelers, and the profile of the tire really makes for a smooth transition into and out of curves. I'm happy with my decision so far.




    Bwmoto - Gotta say they look great on the GT Explorer and suit the bike. Having now read a few reviews, I could easily be tempted to swap over to them in the spring and give them a try.

  • Offline bwmoto   us

    • Explorer Junior  ‐    5
    • *
      #29

    Offline bwmoto

    • Explorer Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 5
    • Bike: 1200 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Tallahasee
    • Country: us
    Re: OEM tyres
    Reply #29 on: November 21, 2022, 04:31:51 pm
    November 21, 2022, 04:31:51 pm
    *Originally Posted by wassers [+]
    Bwmoto - Gotta say they look great on the GT Explorer and suit the bike. Having now read a few reviews, I could easily be tempted to swap over to them in the spring and give them a try.

    I agree. I do like the way they look on the bike as well. Not that it should make a difference but let’s face it, it does  :001:

     



    nonskid