Author Dunlop Trailmax Mission - Bias or Radial ?  (Read 250 times)

• Offline MrhappyQC   ca

• Explorer Junior  ‐    1
    • Topic Author

Offline MrhappyQC

• Explorer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger 1200 XC Desert
    • City / Town: Montreal
    Dunlop Trailmax Mission - Bias or Radial ?
    on: January 19, 2023, 09:20:18 pm
    January 19, 2023, 09:20:18 pm
    Hi Guys,

I have a Desert Edition, and bought some TM MIssion, the following ones : FRONT: 120/70B19,REAR : 170/60B17, but when you go on the Dunlop site, they recommend the following for the Desert Edition , FRONT: 120/70ZR19 REAR : 170/60ZR17.

Difference is B and ZR (Z will be speed). I am totaly lost on this subjects. For tigers with mags, they recommend the  'B' and the Tigers with spoke Wheels the 'ZR' . my knowledge is very limited on tyres, but I beleive B is Bias, and R  are Radial .... but why one has the B and the other as the R... same bikes, different wheels, why one Bias and the other Radial .....  totally lost here.

Wrote to Dunlop, and they answered  this :
    I’m showing the Triumph Tiger 1200 Desert Edition has the Trailmax Mission recommended and the Roadsmart III as an option. The Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition Roadsmart III recommended and the Trailmax mission as an option. ZR are street tires with max speed of 149 mph rating, the R stands for radial. The B is for Belted Bias ply tire. Standard motorcycle tires have 3 options Bias, Belted Bias and Radial which are the tires construction. The Desert Edition runs a tubeless spoke wheel so if you have the desert edition there should be no issues with the Trailmax Mission. The only drawback is the Trailmax mission is only rated for 118 mph , The Trailmax Mission is a bias ply tire since it is targeted for off road use. The load index will match or be above the recommended OE tire fitment. It can be used with or without a tube. The only draw back would be speed rating the ZR would be a 149 mph tire where the Trailmax mission is a T rated = 118 mph. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions you may have.

So do you think I'm still good with the 'B' or should go with the 'ZR' - like I said totaly lost , and want to make sure that I'm good with the ones bought for Road Touring, heavy loads, and some light off road.

Is Radial better than Bias? need help guys and girls...

Thanks/Merci

Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 09:34:38 pm by MrhappyQC

• Offline Jon   us

• Explorer God  ‐    7162

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
    • Bike: 2012 TEX
    • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
    Re: Dunlop Trailmax Mission - Bias or Radial ?
    Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 12:38:42 am
    January 20, 2023, 12:38:42 am
    Just my opinion, but I'll always take radials over bias belted on my motorcycles unless I would someday start riding dirt bikes again. Better ride, better mileage, better fuel economy, and (usually) more precise handling. Something you wrote in your post does bother me however. You wrote "For tigers with mags, they recommend the  'B' and the Tigers with spoke Wheels the 'ZR'" That seems entirely backwards to me as the "mag" wheels for Triumph Tigers are for the more road oriented bikes and the "spoke" wheels are for the dirt or off-road bikes. The handling and speed characteristics of these tires would seem to be suggest the opposite recommendations...  :015:
    Jon

• Offline tdragger   us

• Explorer Member  ‐    55

Offline tdragger

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: 2023 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: FREDERICKSBURG
    Re: Dunlop Trailmax Mission - Bias or Radial ?
    Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 12:08:28 pm
    January 20, 2023, 12:08:28 pm
    Just my opinion as well, you should be totally fine with the bias tires for the time being.  There's no need to run out and replace them.  If you do intend to stay mostly road riding with the occasional light off-road, just make the next set the radial.

Once I wear down the stock tires, I'll be going with the TM Mission radials if I can find them.  The ones on Revzilla are the Bias tires.

EDIT:  I looked on the Dunlop site and it appears that the ones in the correct size for the Gen 4 GTex are available as bias ply only.  That's ok but I was hoping for radial.
    Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:21:03 pm by tdragger
    -------------
    James Epley IBA #609
    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200 GT Explorer
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE
    Iron Butt Rally Finisher - 2019, 2021 (Gold)

nonskid