1 (2.8%)
Using iPhone
0 (0%)
Using Garmin
26 (72.2%)
Using other method
9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author How many using Garmin GPS on the Generation 4 Tiger 1200's?  (Read 4246 times)

• Offline trewm   us

• Explorer Junior  ‐    13

Offline trewm

• Explorer Junior
    • City / Town: NW NJ
    Re: How many using Garmin GPS on the Generation 4 Tiger 1200's?
    Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 03:44:01 pm
    September 05, 2023, 03:44:01 pm
    Rever Pro on my Samsung S22. Think Base Camp but easier to use.

• Offline Lovetubs   gb

• Explorer Member  ‐    51

Offline Lovetubs

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: Rally Explorer
    • City / Town: Lincoln
    Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 11:03:05 pm
    September 05, 2023, 11:03:05 pm
    Zumo XT on Evotech mount on my Rally Explorer - bit shaky at times but still very usable throughout the 3,100 miles I did in Europe earlier this year.
    Tiger 1200 RE
    Tiger 1200 Gen1
    Suzuki VStrom 650

• Offline Meese   us

• Explorer Pro  ‐    206

Offline Meese

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: 1200 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Pacific NorthWet
    Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 12:41:33 am
    September 12, 2023, 12:41:33 am
    Ran dual zūmo XT on my previous bike.

Upgraded to dual zūmo XT2 on the Tiger.

First long trip, one XT2 stopped responding to touch inputs at all.

Second long trip, that XT2 worked as normal, but the other one stopped responding to touch inputs.

Both XT2's liked to respond to random raindrops as unwanted touch inputs when wet. :110:

Both will be going back to Garmin under warranty...
    Ken IBA# 366
    '23 Tiger GT Explorer, '16 Tiger 800 XCx, '13 K16GTL, '09 K13GT-LD, '03 K12LT
    A journey of a thousand miles begins in first gear...

• Offline Mumm-Ra   us

• Explorer Pro  ‐    126

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: 2023 Tiger 1200 RE
    • City / Town: Seattle area
    Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 02:35:48 am
    September 12, 2023, 02:35:48 am
    I use android device (either s22plus or my backup, s10 plus) with a quadlock mount on gps bar from etsy that replaces the windscreen bar.

For apps I use: Google maps, drive mode dashboard v2, gaia, etc..

In heavy rain I can disable touch on my android screen and use my thork adventure controller. So raindrops don't bother me either. Side benefit is it's also easy to scroll around a map without taking hands off the bars.

"Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form to Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living!"

• Offline Bjorn_OW   no

• Explorer Member  ‐    65

Offline Bjorn_OW

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: TT1200 GT Pro PV01 my-22
    Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 03:43:42 pm
    September 12, 2023, 03:43:42 pm
    Garmin Zümo XT2 on my T1200 GT Pro. I can really recommend it, it's a fabolous piece of kit. Paired up with a Garmin inReach device it's a fine combo for tracking and communication when out of cell phone coverage. I carry the GPSMAP 67i for inReach (Iridium) purposes.

Many apps for smartphones do decent mapped navigation these days. But even the purpose built, refined and revised DMD2 app comes short at too many points for a motorcycle navigator compared to the XT2. Be it ergonomics or other functionality. Information like what road you're currently on, distance to next turn, time, speed, traffic, ETA... you name it. The XT2 also sports USB-C and a new (to Garmin Zumo's) processor. The screen filter on the XT2 allows the use of polarized sunglasses, none of my (Samsung Android) smartphones do that.

My Zümo XT2 is fitted to a Cosmo GPS holder (bar) with a Motopumps security locking mount for Zümo XT & XT2. I had the Evotech mount, but it vibrates more than I could bear with the large XT2 fitted. Evotech sure makes nice products, but the GPS holder/ arm for the Tiger 1200 PV01 needs revision in order to cope with vibrations.

Power is tapped off from a utility output on the HEX ezCAN and thus the XT2 is power cycled with the bike ignition. The XT2 requires dedicated 12Vdc supply in order to charge the internal battery and drive the high intensity display. The USB-C in itself is not capable of keeping the XT2 going, at least not on my 30W USB-C charger. Witch only USB-C power available the XT2 will drain the battery.

Cosmo:
    https://www.cosmo-accessories.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_category_id=64&virtuemart_product_id=476&Itemid=878

Motopumps security mount for XT & XT2:
    https://www.motopumps.com/shop/zumo-xt-security-mount

HEX ezCAN:
    https://www.hexezcan.com/select-your-bike-triumph/
    Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 04:02:29 pm by Bjorn_OW
    - Björn -

• Offline Big_Dan_G   ca

• Explorer Member  ‐    15

Offline Big_Dan_G

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: 23 Tiger 1200 GT Exp
    • City / Town: Calgary
    Reply #15 on: September 16, 2023, 04:59:29 pm
    September 16, 2023, 04:59:29 pm
    Running with the Garmin XT added in a HealTech Thunderbox for power supply.  No tapping into wires anywhere.  Connect the thunderbox directly to the battery and fish the wires down under the seat, connect the leads and away you go.  Has been working well for me over 5000 miles. 

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/tb/
    2012 TEX
    2023 GT Explorer

• Offline jures   si

• Explorer Pro  ‐    367

Offline jures

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: Tiger 12GT Explorer
    • City / Town: MEDVODE
    Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 10:07:38 am
    October 01, 2023, 10:07:38 am
    The new XT2 I use now is rubbish, navigation is useless, taking me roads I never choosed (yes settings are 100% OK), the management of routes with new tread app is difficult...etc. I will go back to TomTom 550, the only device you can rely on also for road closures and speed cameras. XT2 is just awfull.....I guess HERE maps are POS

• Offline FR8TRN   us

• Explorer Member  ‐    21

Offline FR8TRN

• Explorer Member
    • I’ve only just begun.
    • Bike: 1200 Rally Pro 23’
    • City / Town: Buffalo, NY US
    Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 12:10:45 pm
    October 01, 2023, 12:10:45 pm
    Zumo XT2 along with Rever on my 23 Rally Pro. Moto Pumps mount. Purchased the “lock” from moto pumps as well. Expensive for what you get, but works well. It’s only a deterrent. I found some seller on eBay (out of Italy I believe) who sells a really robust replacement windscreen bracket that I mounted the set up to. Also added a stretchy rubber phone brace for added peace of mind if ever the mounting system failed. Running this set up since new. Current mileage 4532 mi. Last trip: 1300 miles. No issues at all. 

How you link your bike, phone, headset, and zumo are critical as well. I tried many variations. I ultimately found that linking the phone and Bluetooth to the Garmin is the best set up for me. And, also I only use it for hearing Navigation, and the occasional song. (Let’s face it the sound of the road is the best music.)

Side note: The Triumph navigation is reliant on app connectivity and to be honest is a pain. It disconnects when you shut the bike off. Some time it reconnects, and most time I have to set it up all over again. It’s pretty decent when it works, but only turn by turn. I find myself using it rarely on short specific trips. That’s if it’s connected when I turn in the bike and open the app.

Small issues:
    1) Hearing inside of the helmet is compromised due to the use of hearing protection and wind noise, so calls are emergency only. And we all know that riding without hearing protection is just silly.

2) It can be a slightly time consuming to use the moto pumps removal tool to detach the Garmin at prolong stops. I’ll never leave it on the bike when out of sight for any length of time. It doesn’t matter what type of security mount I have on it. Doesn’t make sense to temp fate.

All in all it’s a great set up that I’d highly recommend.
    Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 12:18:25 pm by FR8TRN
    Bike name: Lofty

• Offline MOBLRN   us

• Explorer Member  ‐    15

Offline MOBLRN

• Explorer Member
    • Semi Retired Travel RN
    • Bike: 2023 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Oskaloosa
    Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 02:24:59 pm
    October 01, 2023, 02:24:59 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mumm-Ra [+]
    I use android device (either s22plus or my backup, s10 plus) with a quadlock mount on gps bar from etsy that replaces the windscreen bar.

For apps I use: Google maps, drive mode dashboard v2, gaia, etc..

In heavy rain I can disable touch on my android screen and use my thork adventure controller. So raindrops don't bother me either. Side benefit is it's also easy to scroll around a map without taking hands off the bars.

Do you have photos of your setup?

Thanks

Rod
    Live full time in a home on wheels. Has a garage for my Jeep and New Tiger. Have traveled for 30 years working in hospitals across the nation.

nonskid