Author Everyone still having fun?  (Read 821 times)

• Offline FL_Explorer   us

• Explorer Master  ‐    1595
    • Topic Author

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
    • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
    • City / Town: Dade City, FL
    Everyone still having fun?
    on: December 05, 2023, 03:27:22 pm
    December 05, 2023, 03:27:22 pm
    Hey there, fellas!  I've not posted here in a good long while but today I was on here bumping around looking for a thread on coolant sensor errors and figured I'd drop a quick line to say hello.  So, hello!

I've still got my 2014 TEx and while I don't ride it near as often as I used to, I slapped a new battery in it a few weeks ago and took it for a rip.  All systems were go until about 10 minutes into the ride.  Suddenly, I got a temp sensor warning and the temp gauge was all wonky - flashing, normal, high, low, flashing again...  I was a little worried as I had just gotten onto Interstate 75 and was between exits.  It was 5 miles back to where I got on, and about 7 miles ahead to the next with nothing between.  So I did what any good knucklehead would do... I continued on my way toward the next exit!  A couple times I rode the shoulder and cut off the engine to coast along in neutral, then I'd fire it back up.  Weirdly, it would be fine for a minute or so then it would do all the wonky stuff again.

I soon made it to the next exit, a very rural area about 10 miles from my home and I pulled onto a roadway that is a dead end.  I looked things over for a minute and didn't see anything obvious but I suspected my coolant might be low in the overflow tank.  Can't really tell because that thing is near impossible to see a fluid level through.  But then it hit me about the dead battery and I wondered if that might be causing me any issue.  I decided I'd do the 12 minute reset on the bike but worried it might not work because I was already up to operating temperature.  I had nothing else to do so I decided to try it.

After the reset, I rode home and didn't get another warning light.  Weird, right?  I hooked my dealertool cable and fired the program up.  Cleared the code and ran all the tests I can through the program.  Nothing came back up, so maybe it was a glitch?  I decided to look for the coolant level sensor online and found that to be a challenging experience.  My bike has a couple different part numbers for the same part for some reason but worse than that, it seems next to impossible to find the part.  I'm going to take the bike back out this morning and see if I get the warning light again.  The bike never overheated so I'm thinking it must be that sensor causing the warning light and the craziness of the temp gauge.

So, that's that!  I have missed being on this forum but life is so busy for me I don't find the time to do some of the things I like to do.  I'm 23.5 years in to my career as a Deputy Sheriff so that means I have only 18 months to go before I finally retire.  I'll be 50 years old in about 8 weeks and I'm starting to feel the bigger number!  Hopefully when I hit 51.5 years old and I'm retired from my career in law enforcement, I'll still have the ability to do some other things!  LOL, I kid (mostly).
     :008:

Ride safe and take care everyone!  I'll probably post here a few more times before life falls back into chaos...  :034:
    Ride safe, and ride often!
    Keith

• Offline KenW   au

• Explorer Master  ‐    2094

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
    • Bike: Red 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
    • City / Town: Adelaide
    Re: Everyone still having fun?
    Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 07:13:17 pm
    December 05, 2023, 07:13:17 pm
    Hi Keith.  Nice to hear from you.

Don't worry about about the big 50.  I'll be 75 in a week, and I did a lap of Oz last August, near 16kkm in 22 days.  Still loving my XRt.
    It's about health, not age.  We have at least one rider in our Ulysses club interstate who still manages to get a leg over at 100.  A local bloke has hung up his boots at 90.  Until then he used to come on our quick rides regularly, and rode pretty well.

Let me tell you, life doesn't get less busy after retirement.  Its just that you get to do the stuff you want to.
    I ride (not often enough), do secretarial and web duties for my Ulysses Club, read, play with computers and electronics, and just recently got onto my third 3D printer, which has enthused me anew with that hobby.  Have started designing things from scratch instead of just pulling them from the net, which is fun.
    Occasionally I interact with other human beings like friends, rellies, neighbours etc.
    I keep busy.  And that is without any grandkids, which keep a lot of friends busy.

Didn't miss work for a minute, once I retired.  But that was at 65, not 51 !

• Offline FL_Explorer   us

• Explorer Master  ‐    1595
    • Topic Author

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
    • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
    • City / Town: Dade City, FL
    Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 09:39:11 pm
    December 05, 2023, 09:39:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by KenW [+]
    Hi Keith.  Nice to hear from you.

Don't worry about about the big 50.  I'll be 75 in a week, and I did a lap of Oz last August, near 16kkm in 22 days.  Still loving my XRt.
    It's about health, not age.  We have at least one rider in our Ulysses club interstate who still manages to get a leg over at 100.  A local bloke has hung up his boots at 90.  Until then he used to come on our quick rides regularly, and rode pretty well.

Let me tell you, life doesn't get less busy after retirement.  Its just that you get to do the stuff you want to.
    I ride (not often enough), do secretarial and web duties for my Ulysses Club, read, play with computers and electronics, and just recently got onto my third 3D printer, which has enthused me anew with that hobby.  Have started designing things from scratch instead of just pulling them from the net, which is fun.
    Occasionally I interact with other human beings like friends, rellies, neighbours etc.
    I keep busy.  And that is without any grandkids, which keep a lot of friends busy.

Didn't miss work for a minute, once I retired.  But that was at 65, not 51 !
    Hey, Ken!  Long time, no talk.  Well, I've got few reasons to be complaining about anything when you put it into perspective like that!  I can't complain about being able to retire in just a short while but let me tell ya, 25 years in law enforcement is enough for me.  I could technically work another 8 years on top of that if I wanted but I don't.

3D printing is something I've thought was interesting.  I haven't looked into it at all so I wonder how expensive the actual printers are?  Do you feed it sheets of plastic or some kind of goop?  I should probably run a simple Google search before asking what are probably asinine questions, huh?   :169:

I took that Tiger out just a few minutes ago and got that coolant light again.  I think I'll simply order the sensor and replace it.  I can't imagine it's anything more than that, especially when I turn the bike off and back on, the light is out and the temp gauge is still smack in the middle.  Maybe something is up with the wiring but that's doubtful in my head.  It has to be the actual sensor.  Now to find where I can buy it!
    Ride safe, and ride often!
    Keith

• Offline KenW   au

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
    Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 11:52:59 pm
    December 05, 2023, 11:52:59 pm
    Hi Keith. Far be it from me to lead you up the garden path, but 3D printing can be fun and useful (and sometimes frustrating).  It is not expensive to get into.  $200 would buy you a starter, and $25-$30 for a 1kg roll of filament, which makes a lot.  I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Amazon (free shipping), though not my current printer.

Things I've designed are shown at https://waggies.net/piwigo/index.php?/category/35

For a mind-blowing collection of prints free to download: https://www.thingiverse.com/ or https://www.printables.com/model
    or various other sites on the net.
    Need a RAM mount for the bike?  3D print one!

• Offline sirsidneyrd   gb

• Explorer Master  ‐    1940

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
    • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
    • City / Town: Cotswolds
    Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 09:42:14 am
    December 06, 2023, 09:42:14 am
    My friend had a similar experience with his Gen 2 one day before a trip to Spain - it was the sensor as he was able to limp to the dealer and they checked - however they couldn’t do the job it was a Saturday and we were leaving the next day  - by pure luck they had a sensor and we set about stripping the bike down - we drained the fluid but this created a massive pita as to refill the cooling system you have to remove the tank which is a grade A bstard job  - I think we would have lost only a small amount of fluid if we had removed the sensor and put it back in however with a gang of us the job guy done and the Spanish trip plus a trip to Bosnia was undertaken with no more issue
    Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

• Online Jon   us

• Explorer God  ‐    7466

Online Jon

• Explorer God
    • Bike: 2012 TEX
    • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
    Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 02:50:51 pm
    December 06, 2023, 02:50:51 pm
    Well, this is certainly a blast from the past! It's great to hear from you again, Keith. I thought you had moved on from your old TEX to a dirt bike or a Trials bike. It's good to hear the old girl is still up & running. My '12 model is too, but hasn't gotten many miles on it the past few years. Being 21 years older than you has my wife & I chasing grandkids around the country & riding has taken a back seat to all of that. Heart issues have also played a role, but that seems to be going better now. I hope this finds you & yours doing well. Gotta run, but it's nice catching up, even if only for a couple of minutes. Enjoy your Christmas & stay safe in the new year, old friend!
    Jon

• Offline NiK   fr

• Explorer God  ‐    5481

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
    • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
    • City / Town: Marseille
    Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 05:48:11 pm
    December 06, 2023, 05:48:11 pm
    Hi buddy and welcome back here!

*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]
    I suspected my coolant might be low in the overflow tank.  Can't really tell because that thing is near impossible to see a fluid level through.
    Yeah I remember my two first T1200 ('12 then '14) and this incredibly unclever design!
    Corrected it right away with a LED position light behind the coolant reservoir, fed by a switched wire. Did the job!
    Sounds like a fun (if easy) project for you, wouldn't it?

• Offline KenW   au

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
    Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 09:44:22 pm
    December 06, 2023, 09:44:22 pm
    *Originally Posted by NiK [+]
    ... LED position light behind the coolant reservoir ...

Good idea, NiK.  I too find it impossible to see the coolant level.  Shining a torch on it doesn't help.
    But I'm just slack, I never check oil or coolant levels.  I let my service guy do that every 16kkm.
    -They have never gone down on me, on either of my Tigers.
    I do however keep an eye on tyre pressures.

• Offline NiK   fr

• Explorer God  ‐    5481

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
    • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
    • City / Town: Marseille
    Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 09:14:01 am
    December 07, 2023, 09:14:01 am
    *Originally Posted by KenW [+]
    Good idea, NiK.  I too find it impossible to see the coolant level.  Shining a torch on it doesn't help.
    Yeah backlighting is the only solution here.