• Topic Author

Offline lcon2

• Explorer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Tampa
    Two up
    on: December 06, 2023, 11:57:23 am
    December 06, 2023, 11:57:23 am
    How does the bike ride two up? It looks to me as if the passenger might sit too high above the driver?

I have googled this question and believe it or not, there are no topics or pictures of the tiger 1200 with a passenger - Strange.

For a reference point, my two up bike is currently a r1200rt.

• Offline TigerHawk   us

• Explorer Junior  ‐    3

Offline TigerHawk

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: 2023 Tiger 1200 GT Pro
    • City / Town: Statesville
    Re: Two up
    Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 01:34:53 pm
    December 06, 2023, 01:34:53 pm
    Last year, I moved from a K1600GT to a '23 Tiger 1200 GTP. I always tour two up with my girl. She LOVES the higher seat position and I don't find it to be top heavy AT ALL. Much easier to handle than the K1600GT two up! Of course, that might have more to do with the GTP being over 300lbs lighter than the K1600GT. This is actually, an exceptional two-up tourer! With the Trekker top-case (don't buy the pad), she loves it!

• Offline lcon2   00

• Explorer Junior  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline lcon2

• Explorer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 02:26:33 pm
    December 06, 2023, 02:26:33 pm
    *Originally Posted by TigerHawk [+]
    Last year, I moved from a K1600GT to a '23 Tiger 1200 GTP. I always tour two up with my girl. She LOVES the higher seat position and I don't find it to be top heavy AT ALL. Much easier to handle than the K1600GT two up! Of course, that might have more to do with the GTP being over 300lbs lighter than the K1600GT. This is actually, an exceptional two-up tourer! With the Trekker top-case (don't buy the pad), she loves it!

I ask because another member is getting rid of Tiger because he feels he notices the weight of his passenger.

Thanks for your opinion.

• Offline BasilB   au

• Explorer Pro  ‐    418

Offline BasilB

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: 2023 Tiger GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Hobart
    Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 12:20:25 am
    December 07, 2023, 12:20:25 am
    I am an experienced 2-up rider and can vouch that it's a lot harder on the Tiger than on something lower like a cruiser. You have to be very particular with stops and starts....particularly in traffic. If you get out of balance it rapidly gets too heavy to hold up. If you can't flat foot the Tiger then don't even bother trying 2-uo (IMO). It's also harder for the pillion to get on/off.

I got caught early on with the missus' 2nd ride on the back. When she jumped on with the side stand down the suspension lowered to the point where the side stand could not be raised without tilting too much to the right and the centre of balance shifted. I didn't realise what had happened and over we went on take-off. Only thing hurt was ego but it was a lesson learnt.

That being said it is manageable with experience. We've done quite a few miles since then but I am always aware of the danger at slow speeds. While moving it's no problem at all.

Unfortunately I'd have to say that if you want an adventure bike then a GS is better for 2-up because of the squatter engine.

• Offline trade_nancy   nz

• Explorer Pro  ‐    141

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: 2023 1200 GT PRO
    • City / Town: Manawatu
    Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 08:31:17 am
    December 07, 2023, 08:31:17 am
    Nearly all riding here is 2-up. Gen 1 - about 30k. Gen 3 we did 20k. Wife had no complaints over seat. We now have a new Gen 4 - unridden...delivered it home and have done 000006 km. No time for me yet. I got the wife to climb up and check the seat. It is a little shorter than Gen 3..and therefore a tighter fit. But she thinks it is all good.
    My experience with 50k k's 2-up....yes - low speed, stop, restart is the higher-risk time. Get an intercom. I use that to remind her to keep still if she gets to wriggling at the wrong time.
    On our Gen1 we did an inter-island tour and when parking up on the ferry...I hadn''t gotten the stand down and she moved around and I was off balance..bike went left heading straight for a guy on a Mo. Guzzi. I yelled at him to catch us - he did thankfully.
    Tell missus to stop fiddling and squirming at slow speeds and stops. We got into the habit - every time we approach a stop..she pulls in close to my back and keeps eyes front. I learnt to avoid stopping in some places. No shame in doing a lap round the block to find better ground. Avoid weird angles where you want to park. Some parking places have steep drops into the gutter...when you back in...choose a parking angle that reduces the lean. If on a steep lean, tilt the bars right to make it easier to elevate the bike upright again. Use the sidestand down when pushing the bike back into a parking spot when still onboard. More than anything else though - master the clutch/throttle at low speed. To that end - get better levers..although I am finding the stock levers on the Gen 4 easier than previous models.

• Offline Tigger12   gb

• Explorer Member  ‐    16

Offline Tigger12

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: 1200GT Pro
    • City / Town: Kettering
    Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 11:43:58 am
    December 07, 2023, 11:43:58 am

Not the best pic but for reference I am 6ft and my passenger is 5ft 7inch.
    we toured Northern Spain and southern France this year with no issues save that as others have said it pays to be careful at low speeds or stopping.
    Cheers
    Ian

• Offline sirsidneyrd   gb

• Explorer Master  ‐    1940

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
    • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
    • City / Town: Cotswolds
    Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 03:35:47 pm
    December 07, 2023, 03:35:47 pm
    yep its higher than previous generations - my wife is not keen , there is more buffeting so i bought an extender but not made that much difference , will be ok in the warm weather - i have lowered the left hand pillion peg to make it easier for her to get on - the new software will help , will get it done on the service - once moving though the GT is a great tourer as was the Gen 1 but there is more use of the clutch in first .   
    Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

• Offline lcon2   00

• Explorer Junior  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline lcon2

• Explorer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 05:43:58 pm
    December 07, 2023, 05:43:58 pm
    Thank you all…just from looking at the seat height of the pillion gave me reason to question two stability. The last few posts have confirmed my thoughts. 

Thank you

• Offline BasilB   au

• Explorer Pro  ‐    418

Offline BasilB

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: 2023 Tiger GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Hobart
    Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 12:36:33 am
    December 08, 2023, 12:36:33 am
    *Originally Posted by trade_nancy [+]

On our Gen1 we did an inter-island tour and when parking up on the ferry...I hadn''t gotten the stand down and she moved around and I was off balance..bike went left heading straight for a guy on a Mo. Guzzi. I yelled at him to catch us - he did thankfully.

I haven't done a ferry crossing on the Tiger with the missus on the back and I won't be looking forward to it. I've done a few on the Thunderbird though and they are always a concern. Ferry ramps tend to not be motorcycle friendly with raised channels running the length of the ramp and slippery surfaces. I've seen a bike go over because they hit the side of a raised channel and he couldn't recover going downhill. Furthermore, you often don't get a good run on or off the ramp because the fool car in front keeps stopping and starting. It also much much harder with a passenger. The large ferries I've used also don't allow a passenger to walk up/down the ramp. They have to be on the bike.

• Offline trade_nancy   nz

• Explorer Pro  ‐    141

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: 2023 1200 GT PRO
    • City / Town: Manawatu
    Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 06:55:11 am
    December 09, 2023, 06:55:11 am
    Yes. Ferries are dodgy places for bikes..in particular in wet. The steel ramps are terrifying. I make a point of staying a good distance behind any vehicle ahead on and off the ship....allowing me time to slow without coming to a stop if they delay. Not using the brakes front or rear is best in the wet on smooth steel.

nonskid