Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
    • City / Town: Goole
    Battery
    on: January 26, 2024, 11:16:10 am
    January 26, 2024, 11:16:10 am
    Hi - My 1200 XRx is now just over four years old.  Optimate sometimes indicates Red (and sometimes Green) after charging with battery removed and on workbench so is it time for a new battery?   

And should I stick with the OE, a Yuasa Z14S?  Thanks for any advice,  David Mc.

• Offline Jon   us

• Explorer God  ‐    7466

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
    • Bike: 2012 TEX
    • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
    Re: Battery
    Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 02:20:24 pm
    January 26, 2024, 02:20:24 pm
    It's hard to say without knowing how often it's charging while on the bench. How cold is it where your work bench is? I assume you take the battery out because the bike is stored where it gets real cold & perhaps you don't have power to plug the optimate in... The optimate is doing exactly as it's intended. It's charging (red) when the battery drops below a certain threshhold & turning off (green) when the battery is charged. The OE battery in my '12 model TEX finally bit the dust in May or June of 2022, so about 10 1/2 years after it was installed in the bike. With that kind of service I went back with the same battery. I don't recall the model #, but it was also a Yuasa.
    Jon

• Offline mcchoc   gb

• Explorer Pro  ‐    188
    • Topic Author

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 02:38:32 pm
    January 26, 2024, 02:38:32 pm
    Thanks Jon - Yes battery is out of bike during worst of winter and actually in a warm room in the house.  Optimate has just finished a (fresh)  cycle on Green so I guess I'll just go for as similar as OE as I can find.  They seem cheap enough at around £54.00 Cheers,  David Mc.

• Offline NiK   fr

• Explorer God  ‐    5481

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
    • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
    • City / Town: Marseille
    Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 01:23:27 pm
    January 31, 2024, 01:23:27 pm
    If your Optimate showed red once or twice in months, I wouldn't be too worried. This indicator already proved not completely reliable in my personal experience.
    If it's red every two charging attempts, it's another story...

I've already replaced my battery three times (on a '18 bike; how I regret my two previous Mk1s, which battery was properly scaled!), never had the money to get an official Yuasa.
    Last one is one month old and is a Fulbat (that's not a joke ;-) YTZ14S, gotten for a mere € 65 on Amazon (of a *****;-). So far so good (including more than one week alone outside with subzero temps at night; yet it fired up strongly this morning). Perfect fit and strong power (for now; I know one shouldn't expect miracles from low cost options).

• Offline mcchoc   gb

• Explorer Pro  ‐    188
    • Topic Author

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 02:29:51 pm
    January 31, 2024, 02:29:51 pm
    Nik, thanks for reply.  Yes I've seen that brand too and would be happy to try one.  Problem is that on some websites the terminals are wrong way round for my 2019 Gen XRx (positive terminal is furthest from the tank, with longer positive lead and shorter negative lead) and some say height is 145mm whereas my original is only about 105mm. Is yours a Gen3, ?  Thanks again,  David Mc.

• Offline NiK   fr

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
    Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 05:32:00 pm
    February 01, 2024, 05:32:00 pm
    Yup! My current Tiger is a '18 XRt.
    And the battery is a perfect fit (with terminals at the right place ;-).

• Offline NorthumBryan   gb

• Explorer Master  ‐    954

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Master
    • NorthumBryan
    • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
    • City / Town: Northumberland
    Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 12:43:08 pm
    February 10, 2024, 12:43:08 pm
    My O/E battery has just given up the ghost at just over 3 years old, despite living on a charger/maintainer. I'm going the AGM route, more cranking power and (marginally) less weight.
    Talking bollocks since 1965...

• Offline Chippy4467   gb

• Explorer Master  ‐    761

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Master
    Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 01:17:46 pm
    February 11, 2024, 01:17:46 pm
    Call me cynical but are these optimates really that kind to a battery?  I do own one but have only ever used it to charge a 4 year old DL650 with a tracker fitted (why on a DL650 :087:). Once I realised it was the tracker killing the battery and ditched it, I never ever needed the optimate again.
    My Gen1 & Gen2 Explorers went 4.5yrs and 4 yrs respectively on original batteries and were still fine when I sold them and my 2020 registered Tiger 800 started no problem Friday having been left in the garage since end Oct
    None of them ever got hooked up to an optimate or anything similar. (and my car is 2015 still on original battery......).  Don't believe I'm just lucky.....but I'll take it if I am  :007: :169:
    Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 01:19:40 pm by Chippy4467

• Online KenW   au

• Explorer Master  ‐    2097

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
    • Bike: Red 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
    • City / Town: Adelaide
    Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 06:46:14 pm
    February 11, 2024, 06:46:14 pm
    I get good life out of my car and bike batteries, and never use a trickle charger.
    (But I'm in a warmer climate, and regularly use both vehicles.)

• Offline NiK   fr

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
    Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 01:10:11 pm
    February 12, 2024, 01:10:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
    Call me cynical but are these optimates really that kind to a battery?  I do own one but have only ever used it to charge a 4 year old DL650 with a tracker fitted (why on a DL650 :087:). Once I realised it was the tracker killing the battery and ditched it, I never ever needed the optimate again.
    My Gen1 & Gen2 Explorers went 4.5yrs and 4 yrs respectively on original batteries and were still fine when I sold them and my 2020 registered Tiger 800 started no problem Friday having been left in the garage since end Oct
    None of them ever got hooked up to an optimate or anything similar. (and my car is 2015 still on original battery......).  Don't believe I'm just lucky.....but I'll take it if I am  :007: :169:
    That's actually two questions here:
    - Are battery chargers effective? The answer is YES. I used my Optimate numerous times to resurrect bike and car batteries (even one bike battery that was so out of charge, that I had to run two consecutive Optimate cycles; BTW my old Optimate 3 was showing the 'Recovery' mode the first time but not the second). However, I've never kept such batteries plugged on my Optimate constantly so I could not contribute to this specific topic.
    - Are battery chargers harmless to batteries? The answer is I DON'T KNOW. Firstly, I never leave my batteries in charge constantly. Secondly, I could not tell if lower performance and/or lifespan is due to the excessive discharge or to the Optimate treatment.

What I've experienced so far:
    - My good old trusty Optimate 3 still can resurrect a relatively dead battery when I need to (including my 2000 PT Cruiser's, which battery I have replaced TWICE).
    - My two first Mk1 Tiger Explorer never experienced any battery problem. My current Mk3 is on its fourth battery in 4 years and a half (that includes a very crappy low cost unit that I shouldn't have bought in the first place ;-). I maintain that downsizing battery and alternator on the Tiger was a design mistake for my usage (100 km a day all year long; no garage).