Author DIY Cerakote Headers  (Read 1656 times)

• Offline NiK   fr

• Explorer God  ‐    5481

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
    • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
    • City / Town: Marseille
    Re: DIY Cerakote Headers
    Reply #10 on: February 07, 2024, 09:52:19 am
    February 07, 2024, 09:52:19 am
    *Originally Posted by Jon [+]
    Wow, that's kinda strange. We live in the very heart of agricultural land and have had no decrease in bug populations and other than cyclical disease amongst wild animal species, no reduction in those numbers either.  :084:
    As often, personal observations may or may not reflect figures:
    https://www.sierraclub.org/sites/default/files/sce/iowa-chapter/wildlands-wildlife/insects.pdf

• Offline ImNoSaint   us

• Explorer Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline ImNoSaint

• Explorer Member
    • Topic Author
    • #dashbetweenthedates
    • Bike: 2014 Explorer XC
    • City / Town: Bountiful
    Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 04:27:24 pm
    February 07, 2024, 04:27:24 pm
    *Originally Posted by NiK [+]
    Just made a little research on header coating. Interesting!
    Indeed, reducing heat dissipation on the outside should keep gasses hot inside the exhaust, theoretically improving flowing.
    However, I failed to find any evidence of real-life figures regarding the supposed engine performance improvement... This specific claim therefore sounds a bit like snake oil for now ;-)

Still, it looks good, helps preserving the tubes from weather wear, probably reduces the risks of inside rusting (more heat=less water deposit) and reduces the global heat inside the engine compartment (though this last point is probably irrelevant on a bike ;-). AFAIU, only benefits. Makes me wonder why manufacturers don't implement it by default (I know: they won't do it unless customers threaten them ;-)!

As for bugs here, there used to be lots of them back in the days (say until 2010 or so). Now I don't have that many on my bike (or car), even after hundreds of highway kms.
    As usual, I tried to find some evidences of my personal observations and, sadly, I found plenty. Recent studies all converge to a reduction of 70 to 80% of insect populations in Europe. The worst areas being (as one would expect) human activities and intensive agriculture. Apart from losing witnessing wild animal life every day, this is the base of the ecosystem which is threatened. Consequences will probably take some time to appear clearly but might be massive (and potentially irreversible). I'd gladly trade the harrassement of cleaning the vehicles against more life around us...

I'm curious where such a claim was found about engine performance. I have not come across anything of the sort.
    utadvmoto.com
    YouTube@utadv

• Offline NiK   fr

• Explorer God  ‐    5481

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
    • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
    • City / Town: Marseille
    Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 04:24:22 pm
    February 08, 2024, 04:24:22 pm
    *Originally Posted by ImNoSaint [+]
    I'm curious where such a claim was found about engine performance. I have not come across anything of the sort.
    For instance, here:
    https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2019/10/coating-for-performance/

Of course, you shouldn't expect +20hp by just coating your exhaust, but by keeping the heat inside the system, it THEORETICALLY enhances gas flowing, therefore THEORETICALLY increasing engine performance.
    Now my guess is if you'd make actual measures, the gain would probably be near negligible ;-)