Author Connectivity and Sena and Sat/Nav  (Read 2331 times)

• Offline BasilB   au

• Explorer Pro  ‐    418
    • Topic Author

Offline BasilB

• Explorer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2023 Tiger GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Hobart
    Connectivity and Sena and Sat/Nav
    on: February 01, 2024, 11:13:24 pm
    February 01, 2024, 11:13:24 pm
    I've got a new Sena 50s and am struggling to get it working consistently with Triumph connectivity and the TomTom satnav. It sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't which is rather frustrating. I did pair the Sena to my phone as well as to triumph because I also use it on a different bike. That might be the problem as Triumph do say to only pair with the bike connectivity. Has anyone had a good experience with setting it up? I like using the bike connectivity for its features so don't want to bypass it.

• Offline MOBLRN   us

• Explorer Member  ‐    71

Offline MOBLRN

• Explorer Member
    • Semi Retired Travel RN
    • Bike: 2023 GT Explorer
    • City / Town: Oskaloosa
    Re: Connectivity and Sena and Sat/Nav
    Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 12:00:47 am
    February 02, 2024, 12:00:47 am
    I've never had any luck with pairing with a motorcycle and then to another device. The other issue is if you are listening to music or speaking with someone on the phone when you want to stop for gas, as soon as you turn off the bike you lose connection. Not so with just pairing your helmet to the phone.

I did try with my Tiger, but my old Android Note 9 didn't speak with the Triumph. My new iPhone 15 will, but I again would rather just pair the helmet to the phone.

Rod
    Live full time in a home on wheels. Has a garage for my Jeep and New Tiger. Have traveled for 30 years working in hospitals across the nation.

• Offline BasilB   au

• Explorer Pro  ‐    418
    • Topic Author

Offline BasilB

• Explorer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 06:09:50 am
    February 04, 2024, 06:09:50 am
    I've reset all the connections and paired the Tiger as the 1st mobile phone on the Sena. My phone is 2nd mobile phone on the Sena. TomTom is also paired with the Sena as GPS. There is another pairing on the Sena for "Advanced Selective Pairing: Hands-Free or A2DP Stereo" but I've got no idea what that is so left it out.

Will see how that works now.

• Offline mjab   gb

• Explorer Master  ‐    1159

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
    • Bike: 900 GT Pro
    • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
    Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 09:55:00 am
    February 04, 2024, 09:55:00 am
    The Bluetooth connectivity on the bike will not connect to your sat nav, it will only connect to a mobile phone.

If you connect your phone to tthe bike connectivity as well as the tom Tom it will cause a conflict that means it will sometimes connect to the bike or sometimes the Sat nav. You will need to decide what is more important to you, having the phone connect to the bike or the sat nav. The one you dont want then either delete or unpair to avoid it having to decide which one its seen first.

I dont have a senna 50 but an older Senna. Mine has similar connections but the senna can only connect to 2 devices at one time so again another conflict, which 2 out of 3 does it connect to. The senna 50 may allow more I dont know.

Due to the lack of consistency in connecting and use, (lack of sound and not updating info) I no longer use the bike connectivity and connect to my phone through my garmin.
    Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:56:41 am by mjab
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul

• Offline BasilB   au

• Explorer Pro  ‐    418
    • Topic Author

Offline BasilB

• Explorer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 10:12:08 am
    February 04, 2024, 10:12:08 am
    *Originally Posted by mjab [+]
    The Bluetooth connectivity on the bike will not connect to your sat nav, it will only connect to a mobile phone.

If you connect your phone to tthe bike connectivity as well as the tom Tom it will cause a conflict that means it will sometimes connect to the bike or sometimes the Sat nav. You will need to decide what is more important to you, having the phone connect to the bike or the sat nav. The one you dont want then either delete or unpair to avoid it having to decide which one its seen first.

I dont have a senna 50 but an older Senna. Mine has similar connections but the senna can only connect to 2 devices at one time so again another conflict, which 2 out of 3 does it connect to. The senna 50 may allow more I dont know.

Due to the lack of consistency in connecting and use, (lack of sound and not updating info) I no longer use the bike connectivity and connect to my phone through my garmin.

The TomTom connects to the Sena and to the phone. If I don't pair the TomTom with the phone will I avoid a conflict?

• Offline mjab   gb

• Explorer Master  ‐    1159

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
    • Bike: 900 GT Pro
    • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
    Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 06:54:03 pm
    February 05, 2024, 06:54:03 pm
    *Originally Posted by BasilB [+]
    The TomTom connects to the Sena and to the phone. If I don't pair the TomTom with the phone will I avoid a conflict?

Its worth a try, though if your sena only has 2 connections then it will still not be able to connect Tom tom, bike and phone. Try connecing phone to bike and then bike and tom tom to the Sena only.
    For what its worth I had too many issues with my phone connection to the bike and spent too much time on rides trying to get connections again after fuel or coffee stops that in the end I gave up. Music would sometime play, the garage feature wouldn't update and had no sound on the sat nav feature. After turning the bike off and on at petrol stops I'd lose the music and the sat nav would freeze.
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul

• Offline BasilB   au

• Explorer Pro  ‐    418
    • Topic Author

Offline BasilB

• Explorer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 09:53:10 am
    February 08, 2024, 09:53:10 am
    Another thing I've noticed is that the TomTom causes an audio hiccup every 10 secs or so. If I turn TomTom off the audio glitch goes away. Maybe the pairing is cutting in/out? I'll have to experiment with that.

• Offline EVLED   nz

• Explorer Junior  ‐    10

Offline EVLED

• Explorer Junior
    • Two wheels are all you need
    Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 06:37:27 am
    February 11, 2024, 06:37:27 am
    I was just playing with my setup in the shed - off on a trip next week.

I have my bike & Garmin linked to my Sena.  The phone is connected to both the bike and the GPS. 

Everything is working fine (tested music from phone via bike to Senna and GPS to Senna) but I suspect if I get a phone call that could cause issues but it is easy to turn off the connection between GPS and phone and then turn it back on when I swap the GPS back onto one of my other bikes.
    IBA #73269
    banditrider.blogspot.com

• Offline BasilB   au

• Explorer Pro  ‐    418
    • Topic Author

Offline BasilB

• Explorer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 02:09:24 am
    February 14, 2024, 02:09:24 am
    *Originally Posted by EVLED [+]
    I was just playing with my setup in the shed - off on a trip next week.

I have my bike & Garmin linked to my Sena.  The phone is connected to both the bike and the GPS. 

Everything is working fine (tested music from phone via bike to Senna and GPS to Senna) but I suspect if I get a phone call that could cause issues but it is easy to turn off the connection between GPS and phone and then turn it back on when I swap the GPS back onto one of my other bikes.

Is your bike and phone connected to Garmin as Phone 1 and Phone 2?

• Offline EVLED   nz

• Explorer Junior  ‐    10

Offline EVLED

• Explorer Junior
    • Two wheels are all you need
    Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 05:21:04 am
    February 14, 2024, 05:21:04 am
    *Originally Posted by BasilB [+]
    Is your bike and phone connected to Garmin as Phone 1 and Phone 2?

Yep.
    IBA #73269
    banditrider.blogspot.com

nonskid