Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Braking  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Bake

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Smile & Wave
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Buckley. North Wales
Braking
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »
Is there a different technique of braking with or without ABS ?

Offline Tim_Z

• Explorer Pro
Re: Braking
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:30:41 AM »
Under most circumstances brake like you normally would. In a panic or foul weather do what you can and if it is dangerous and could lock the tire, the abs will take over.
Tim

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »
Sorry, but I don't completely agree.
As instructed in advanced driving, when you have ABS, the "panic mode" works as follows: just pull everything the hardest you can. That is clutch and brakes at the same time. Fully. No hesitation. Just get rid of urban myths about you being able to control everything. In panic mode, you don't control anything better than a computer.
Full clutch + full brake lever + full brake pedal.
Then, gently place your sight where you want the bike to go and everything's gonna be alright.

Many crashes are caused by shy early braking.

Offline Tim_Z

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
I believe I implied the same as you. Just typing all that in on a phone leads me to be brief in my explanations.
Tim

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tim_Z [+]
I believe I implied the same as you. Just typing all that in on a phone leads me to be brief in my explanations.
Tim

I agree with you that Nik agreed with you and I agree with both of you on the subject matter  :156:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
So now that we all agree, the answer is...
Wait! What was the question?

(c;

Offline Tim_Z

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
Was there a question?

Offline BigLee

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer naturally!!
  • City / Town: WORKINGTON
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »
I recently took a course that taught front braking 2 up in the wet with no abs on the bike  :001: and it was chucking down too!!

Offline the burpster

• Forum Moderator
  • Bike: Explorer - HD XR1200
  • City / Town: Lincolnish
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
To add to the comments already posted, your braking should be the same all the time.

ABS ( and the reason I have it ) is to countermand the brains reaction in the 'Oh F**k' situation. This is where the brain knows what retards the bike and uses it as hard as it can (basically as Nik states above) when it identifies a threat that will hurt. The very best cannot I would argue at this point think 'right then, nice 3 pressure braking and brake real hard in the middle' we all instinctively grab everything we can and hope we will be able to walk afterwards.

I could share my experiences on how you CAN use ABS as a preformance aid but its probably not approriate for this thread.
"Every day you wake up is a good day!"

Offline fasttrak

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 09:40:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Sorry, but I don't completely agree.
As instructed in advanced driving, when you have ABS, the "panic mode" works as follows: just pull everything the hardest you can. That is clutch and brakes at the same time. Fully. No hesitation. Just get rid of urban myths about you being able to control everything. In panic mode, you don't control anything better than a computer.
Full clutch + full brake lever + full brake pedal.
Then, gently place your sight where you want the bike to go and everything's gonna be alright.

Many crashes are caused by shy early braking.

I would agree with this, let the ABS do their thing and keep your eyes where you want the bike to go. I recently had the misfortune of testing this out on the street with a deer strike. I thankfully had the opportunity to test the ABS out completely prior to the accident to see how it functioned and if I could get either the front or rear to lock. I like this ABS setup as the pulses are very small and not obtrusive like some other systems I have tested, it does not interfere with steering or distract your driving with them cutting in.

So, on the day of the deer strike, I knew what to expect when at the apex of a blind curve a deer jumped out in front of me. It is hard to guesstimate the amount of time you have but it was a mere couple seconds at most. Eat up one second to evaluate and begin the muscle movements to take action giving me a bit over a second to make the action happen. Upon seeing the deer and realizing I was going to hit it, no outs on a two lane highway with barbed wire fence to my left and cut hillside to my right. I got my body low over tank while grabbing a handful of front brake and clutch while stomping on rear brake. I figure I scrubbed about ten miles an hour before impact, I sensed three pulses from the front wheel right before the hit.

Having had a ton of time to relive the accident and go over what I could of done differently, I am pretty certain I took the best course of action on that day and the deer strike was unavoidable. I was very grateful to have taken the time prior to the accident to put the brakes through their paces and get comfortable with how the react when ABS kicks in and know what to expect when the time came to need them. I believe having done that I was able to ride through a deer hit at nearly fifty miles an hour and not actually crash the bike, the loss of the fender and the beak were minor in my opinion, the broken leg is mending.

Fasttrak
In search of the perfect road.

Recent Topics