Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Braking  (Read 2680 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Braking
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by fasttrak [+]
the deer strike was unavoidable
Well, strictly speaking, not really. If you had been riding slowly (that is down to the point of being able to stop/escape any unexpected threat), you could have avoided this.

Now, this is strict factual paper advice. I just can't ride this way all the time, but I try to remember this as often as I can. It saved my *ss a couple times already ;-)

Whatever. The really important thing is the outcome. Considering the situation, you managed very well and as you said the consequences were pretty limited (compared to what it could have been).

PS: don't bother trying the ultrasonic fender mounted whistles, for they just don't do anything.

Offline Bryn

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Graphite Explorer
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
Brakes are working at their most efficient just before they lock  ( talking of heavy braking of course)  the old idea of cadence braking was to apply the brakes hard, when they locked, off, on , off and so on  ( not so good on a bike  :156:)

ABS came along and takes care of the cadence braking for you..... ensuring that you're reaching maximum braking efficiency when having to stop suddenly ... in other words... if its an  'OH MY GOD' type of braking scenario, just squeeze as hard as you can and let the ABS sort it out  ( hopefully) 

see the link below 

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cadence%20braking&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCadence_braking&ei=i6wiUPyyEsqX0QXd9IDoDQ&usg=AFQjCNGx6GScSoiDg4KpnV6xStT_uRXz4g

Offline Bake

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Smile & Wave
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Buckley. North Wales
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »
 Took the Tex on some grass to try out the ABS as I've never had it on a bike before, result was quite scary at first especially the rear brake pedal pulsing up & down :005: it feels totaly different to a car,but then again it would  :745:

Offline fiddler

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer (blue)
  • City / Town: (too) close to Paris
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
As instructed in advanced driving

They have that here in France?  :008: :038:

Seriously, who does it here?

Offline OneWay

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: TEX, 800XC, GSA, K16
  • City / Town: London / Cape Town
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bryn [+]
It says...

Continue pumping the brakes in this fashion until the vehicle stops or the danger is over.

The bike is written off, you are in the back of an ambulance (or even worse) and your bank balance is about to haemorrhage cash.
But the danger is over  :435:
You don't live only once, you die only once.
You live every day.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by fiddler [+]
They have that here in France?  :008: :038:

Seriously, who does it here?
There are riding schools (some of them have pretty famous instructors), but the one I attended was a kind of "Advanced driving on Tour", offered for free by my insurance company. One day with instructors from Le Mans (the track, not the town ;-) and vehicles on a dedicated track with onboard sensors enduring all sorts of unusual (but not unlikely) situations. Very valuable!

Offline fiddler

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer (blue)
  • City / Town: (too) close to Paris
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »
@ Nik: Thanks, I ought to look into it.  I once started with an "advanced" group in the UK, but I've been here for 13 years now, and I certainly don't ride like I did there!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 08:17:55 AM »
Driving: http://www.conduirejuste.com/ (founded by Jean-Pierre Beltoise, famous French racer)
Riding: http://www.d-sarron.com/stages_sarron.asp (ruled by Dominique Sarron, racer and brother of famous Christian Sarron)

Just two ideas, there are many others...

Offline nerolab

• Explorer God
  • WWW.CCM-Motorcycles.com
  • Bike: Grey (The fast one!)
  • City / Town: BURY
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
I had the opportunity to test my ABS system last week. I was going around a large roundabout at approx 25mph but I was distracted by a car approaching from left at speed. I wanted to see that he had seen me however what I hadnt bargained for was the Zebra crossing immediately off the junction I was turning into and a car that had stopped just on the edge of the roundabout!!!!!!!!!!!! I grabbed the front brake as hard as possible, the lever pulsed, the bike slowed dramatically, enough to allow me to turn around the rear of the car and stop, off the roundabout and out of danger. I take full responsibility incident for the and fortunately, quick reactions and great brakes saved the day.  :033:
currently bikeless :(
Past machines: Mk1 Explorer 1200 - Tiger 800 road- Aprilia Strada 660- Kawasaki ZX6r- Honda CBR600F

Offline the burpster

• Forum Moderator
  • Bike: Explorer - HD XR1200
  • City / Town: Lincolnish
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by nerolab [+]
I had the opportunity to test my ABS system last week. I was going around a large roundabout at approx 25mph but I was distracted by a car approaching from left at speed. I wanted to see that he had seen me however what I hadnt bargained for was the Zebra crossing immediately off the junction I was turning into and a car that had stopped just on the edge of the roundabout!!!!!!!!!!!! I grabbed the front brake as hard as possible, the lever pulsed, the bike slowed dramatically, enough to allow me to turn around the rear of the car and stop, off the roundabout and out of danger. I take full responsibility incident for the and fortunately, quick reactions and great brakes saved the day.  :033:

... and that is why I love ABS on the road...  :152:
"Every day you wake up is a good day!"

Recent Topics