Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Intersections, Red and Green lights, Which is the safe lane of traffic?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Going to throwout a few in one subject line.

Intersections are where most accidents occur (Duh). Being first in line at a red light has it's own risks. Getting rear ended, sitting there like a bowling pin when someone tries to run a red and get clipped / redirected into you.

Green lights, if you want to observe something that is absolutely frightening, observe the percentage of people, motorcycles and cars, who do not look both ways before they proceed when the light turns green.

Which lane is the safe lane? According to Hurt Report, 70% of motorcycle accidents happen in the curb lane. Makes sense, people pulling out of drive ways, alleys, pedestrians, opening car doors etc. Then you would think the center line lane? Center line lane is where 70% of the motorcycle fatalities occur. The dreaded left turn into your path, I guess for those who drive on the wrong side of the road :>) that would be the dreaded right turn into your path.

Knowing what the risks are, is the best way to minimize your susceptibility to risk.

Studley

Offline Barking Sane

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: €xp/0r3r
  • City / Town: Berlin
Re: Intersections, Red and Green lights, Which is the safe lane of traffic?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:57:31 AM »
On the open road, never approach traffic lights (that are on green) at more than 50mph, and use your speedo to make sure.

If they go to amber on your approach, and you are doing more than 50, it's difficult to know whether to stop or go through.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Offline OneWay

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: TEX, 800XC, GSA, K16
  • City / Town: London / Cape Town
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:03:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Barking Sane [+]
If they go to amber on your approach, and you are doing more than 50, it's difficult to know whether to stop or go through.
I've seen a post that someone uses the last lane direction arrow painted on the carriageway as the commit point (subject to other hazards, blah blah..).

May be different on dirt - paint doesn't last that long  :008:
You don't live only once, you die only once.
You live every day.

Offline the burpster

• Forum Moderator
  • Bike: Explorer - HD XR1200
  • City / Town: Lincolnish
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »
On the open road, never approach traffic lights (that are on green) at more than 50mph, and use your speedo to make sure.

Whilst I see the logic of your comment and agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY for junctions that are presented to you blind, but that surely cannot apply to all junctions (intersections for our overseas friends) and all situations.

Always evaluate EACH junction you approach on its own merits, (ie cars waiting, views across, vehicles approaching from other directions, road surface condition, how long the lights have been on the same color to you.....the list is pretty long).

There is a very safe maxim for this, 'if in doubt slow down'  IF you are absolutley sure there is nothing more to this junction than 2 roads crossing and ther is nothing else to increase the danger to you, then only criteria as to where you should be on the road is 'where is the most grip?', speed as well can almost become irrelevant too.

The complete inverse of that is true however as the numbers of dangers to you increase, the more there is the more you slow down (as our little Meercat friend would say) Simpuls!.
 :028:
"Every day you wake up is a good day!"

Offline Barking Sane

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Nope. Always 50, regardless of weather, surface or children playing in the carriageway. A rule is a rule.

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
Nope. Always 50, regardless of weather, surface or children playing in the carriageway. A rule is a rule.

:745:

There is a clause that says you can exceed that if it's JUST children playing in the carriageway.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Dimebag

• Explorer Master
  • Cowboys From Hell
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XRx
  • City / Town: Near Box Hill
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »

And where is this 'rule' written then mate? Nothing I have ever seen in the UK highway code, nor is it anything I have ever been taught.

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dimebag [+]
And where is this 'rule' written then mate? Nothing I have ever seen in the UK highway code, nor is it anything I have ever been taught.

I think he was kidding  :164:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline the burpster

• Forum Moderator
  • Bike: Explorer - HD XR1200
  • City / Town: Lincolnish
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by moggi1964 [+]
I think he was kidding  :164:

Indeed, I'm sure he was.......wasn't he...?  :012:
"Every day you wake up is a good day!"

Offline Barking Sane

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »
Hee hee. I was joking a bit about the children but I stand by the original advice 100%.

Don't go through traffic lights at more than 50mph, simple as that.

There are lots of situations where you must slow down more, but none where you should slow down less.

Recent Topics