Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How Fast Does A Deer Strike Happen?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Pacific

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Victoria, BC
Re: How Fast Does A Deer Strike Happen?
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 03:42:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by EggRider [+]
I hit a deer (larger than the one in the video) on my GS at 50+mph and was glad that the weight of the bike was close to the weight of the deer and that the deer ducked down into the bike instead of trying to jump me. I did not go down.

I had a similar experience on an R1150R. Had a tank-slapper going with the bars, but as I slowed down, the bike stabilized and I was able to pull over. The bike and I far outweighed the deer. The deer jumped the median, saw me, and then crouched, which also helped. Damage to the bike was about 3k CAD.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“ -- Mark Twain

Offline fasttrak

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 05:39:20 AM »
I can answer this! About 1.3 seconds at 50MPH at the apex of a curve on a country road. Barely enough time to recognize what you are seeing, acknowledge there is going to be contact and apply brakes en masse. And I am one deer down in that club, though less dramatic than cut in half. Mine ended up with massive rib cage failure and internal injuries. Died where it slid off my bike, this being two weeks after the purchase of my Tiger Explorer. Mine was about a year and a half old doe, probably about 140 lbs but that was best guess from the back of an ambulance.

Fasttrak
Ken
In search of the perfect road.

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »
Kind of ironic that I would make that post on Aug 9 and have my first deer strike Aug 30. My deer strike was 1000 times faster than the one in the video. The event as I recall it was; brown color in the headlight, simultaneous thump, bang. Followed by a tank slapper and slow pull off onto the shoulder. I could not have said with 100% certainty it was a deer strike until I came to a stop and saw her in the ditch.

My revised thoughts on how fast can it happen? I did not see her until impact. That's how fast.

Studley

Offline mickey

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: BMW K1200LT
  • City / Town: SLC, UT
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »
Answer:  Instantly.

My first road bike was a big Honda Silverwing scooter.  I hit a big mule deer doe while going about 50 mph.   She just ran right in front of me, in broad daylight, on a deserted two-lane.  Not another human being in sight for miles around. 

I didn't even have time to worry.  Just....BANG!  Instantly.  Tupperware everywhere.  Hit her in the hindquarters, and she went spinning off into the sagebrush to (hopefully) die a slow, agonizing death.   I braked to a stop, shook for several minutes, and then for reasons that still remain obscure I gathered up all the shattered tupperware, put it in my lap, and rode home. 

I still can't believe that happened.

Offline boricua

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Parker, Colorado
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 12:41:25 AM »
I did not hit a deer.  A mule deer hit me.  I spotted two deer by the road side while doing about 50MPH on a two lane blacktop getting out of a small rural town in broad daylight.  I missed the third deer waiting on the side of the road to jump on me.  The stupid deer jumped from the curb and landed on me hitting me in the face (thank God for full face helmets) knocking me unconscious.  A rider behind me told the police that I carried the deer on my handlebars for about 50 feet before I lost it.  I do not remember anything.  TEX was totalled.  Nothing serious happened to me.  However, I was picked from the road and given an ambulance ride to the closest hospital.  Final tally of the medical cost paid by the insurance was about $5K.  Total insurance claim after everything was said and done was around $20K.

How fast can deer strike happen?  Faster than you can say oh s........ :232:

Insurance companies should start promoting deer hunting and venison as an heathy alternative to meat.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:43:05 AM by boricua »
Wherever I go, there I am

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 03:07:31 AM »
I agree with borica. Feed the hungry and reduce the danger. Simple.

S

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 TEX
  • City / Town: Martinsburg
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 03:30:42 AM »
I know it's easy to say watching a video from the comfort of my living room, but looks like another case of target fixation as well. I don't know if there is a cure for this but a lot of accidents could be avoided without it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives" - Hedley Lamarr

Online Bikerbuk

• Explorer Master
  • Musical Prostitute - You pay, I play!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Unpredictable B.....ards!

I had to drive through a heard of about 15 deer who decided to come down onto the main road ( after midnight far north of Scotland).    An entire heard is kinda hard to miss so I slowed to walking pace and threaded my way through the massed heard.  (quite a surreal experience)  Anyway, managed to get through them, they didn't seem bothered and just continued munchin on whatever they had found.   Then one big nervous eejit decided to leap from the safety of the roadside bushes right into my path.   Fortunately I was still going very slow and managed to stop, but just goes to show how unpredictable they are.

Striking big animals to look at, but a real f'kin pest!
There comes a time in everyone's life when it pays to:   Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart!

Offline TRG

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ZX14,Daytona675, XC
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 03:16:51 PM »
Last year I purchased a mint condition Ducati 749.
First ride out on a back road I saw a pheasant sitting in the middle of the road from around 100 metres. I could see it wasn't moving so slowed to around 60mph. It took off and made a bee line straight for me, I ducked behind the bubble and WHACK! Pulled over and it had smashed right through the front nose cone.
Now, I think a pheasant weights about two bags of sugar. If that had hit me in the visor, no doubt...I would have been off and injured.
By the way, I did a test on the nose cone afterwards, it was very, very strong so it goes to show the damage that can be done, even from something relatively small. I'm extremely wary on country roads now.
Ill see if I can dig the photo out.........

Offline milq

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Illinois
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »

*Originally Posted by boricua [+]

Insurance companies should start promoting deer hunting and venison as an heathy alternative to meat.

It's been said that the Illinois Dept. Of Natural Resources uses police and insurance data to annually adjust the number of hunting permits and the calendar days for deer season.

Recent Topics