Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rubber Stop for Stand  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Re: Rubber Stop for Stand
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 09:07:28 PM »
BUMP.  Apparently T have not learnt the lesson or improved matters.  After washing my 2018 XRT (2017 Gen2 model) LH bump stop found on drive. At least part of it - the bit that goes through the hole was still in the hole.  Warranty expired 9 days ago !!!!!  Will have a conversation with dealer next week when it goes in for 10,000 mile service as they & T have been good in past (my Gen1 burst a radiator seam 3 weeks out of warranty and they sorted that)
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 09:53:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
BUMP.  Apparently T have not learnt the lesson or improved matters.  After washing my 2018 XRT (2017 Gen2 model) LH bump stop found on drive. At least part of it - the bit that goes through the hole was still in the hole.  Warranty expired 9 days ago !!!!!  Will have a conversation with dealer next week when it goes in for 10,000 mile service as they & T have been good in past (my Gen1 burst a radiator seam 3 weeks out of warranty and they sorted that)
Just drill it out and put a screw or a bolt in it.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 10:30:06 AM »
I will if T don't sort it but as its going in next week for service (covid 19 permitting) will try to get it replaced foc - matter of principle and they need to know these are still failing otherwise they wont know they need to fix it.
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]

I bought a replacement. It cost about £3. But my original one had lasted over 35k miles so didn't feel too bad about it.

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 01:24:15 PM »
Bought my Gen 3 on Nov 30 2019.   :152:

Bump stop fell off first time I washed it.  :157:

Small bit of paint missing on underside of shaft.  Replaced rubber with a new one - noticed design/shape had already changed, from a simple cylindrical shape to a shallow cone shape.   :435:

Fitted using washing up liquid after soaking in warm water. 

But those main-stand return springs are so strong that I now use my right foot to catch the stand as it flicks up, and gently allow rubber to kiss shaft.  :084:

Otherwise, even with the rubber stop in place, it's a hell of a thump.  :114:

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 02:55:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by mcchoc [+]
But those main-stand return springs are so strong that I now use my right foot to catch the stand as it flicks up, and gently allow rubber to kiss shaft.  :084:

Otherwise, even with the rubber stop in place, it's a hell of a thump.  :114:
Not sure about the later models, but the Gen 1 left side rubber doesn't hit the shaft housing when letting up the centre stand, it's the right hand side rubber on the exhaust pipe which cops the thump.

Offline Expotheone

• Explorer Member
  • No comment
  • Bike: Tex 2017
  • City / Town: Rijkevorsel
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 12:07:36 PM »
Here the rubber was gone after the second time I used the centrestand. The rubber now used as a doorstop.
The centre stand is now hitting the shaftdrive but thats been resolved with a piece of EPDM that I had from a roof reparation. Is about 3mm thick (2 by 3cm). I just placed it under the drive shaft. And its working great for 25K.
If I wanna drive a mercedes, I'll call a cab

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »
https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17464.msg206533.html#msg206533

Here's a tread talking about the Gen-3.   

Part #   T2081928
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Recent Topics

nonskid