Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: dealing with water  (Read 3623 times)

Offline EggRider

• Explorer Master
  • (ex R1200GS)
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hants/Surrey borders
Re: dealing with water
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 06:45:24 AM »
Although these have been seen before might as well post them here with some thoughts

1) If you can watch another vehicle go through the water first, I watched a 4WD pick-up go through this one before I made a decision to cross. Also don't just watch for depth as the other vehicles crosses, watch for whether the vehicle bounces around because of an uneven surface under the water

2) Enter slowly and try to ride the crown of the road

3) Try to watch out for any side-to-side currents in advance of hitting them and steer / lean slightly into the current as you hit it. Note I tried to stay on crown but did get caught out by a current which is why in this shot I appear to be heading towards the side of the road

4) Of course keep away from the side of the road as that is usually where drain covers will be (and possibly a curb for the road edge or a drop off the tarmac), however also watch out for strange currents wihout a clear source as this might be indicative of a lifted manhole cover.

5) Keep the revs up as the water gets deeper  in order to keep gas pushing out the exhaust (OK the explorer exhaust is high.) I actually had to increase my revs and power to back wheel to straighten up after the picture above anyway as I really did not want to get any closer to the wall or any side drain covers. Did get it back straight though

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:21:33 AM by EggRider »

Offline Explorer 62

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Yam S10, R1150R
  • City / Town: Burton on Trent
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
Yes I can see youre going at a steady pace eggrider, I have seen some video footage on a web site for one company offering off road training where a couple of GS riders just "go for it". You can see the spray/bow wave clears there headlight/screen & then goes over there head!!

I will see if I can find the site again & post the link

Offline nerolab

• Explorer God
  • WWW.CCM-Motorcycles.com
  • Bike: Grey (The fast one!)
  • City / Town: BURY
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
thats a proper flood! Great pictures... was your mate hoping to get £250 off Harry??!!  :745:
currently bikeless :(
Past machines: Mk1 Explorer 1200 - Tiger 800 road- Aprilia Strada 660- Kawasaki ZX6r- Honda CBR600F

Offline wolfexplorer

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Malvern
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »
20 years of accident/breakdown work let me know one thing. Water will not go up the exhaust to the engine even at low revs ( you will drown yourself before there is enough pressure) BUT the higher the revs  the more damage done if water enters the intake!! At low revs the conrods have a chance to survive, pick the revs up and they resemble pigtails and you get broken liners and blocks if water makes itds way into the intake.
Live life to the full and grab the opportunity around each corner

Offline EggRider

• Explorer Master
  • (ex R1200GS)
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hants/Surrey borders
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
Thanks wolfexplorer, I didn't know the revs made a difference if water get in the intake.

Oh and for some 4 wheeled dealing with deep water, check this out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-20555116

Recent Topics