Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!  (Read 13773 times)

Offline roundincircles

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: MTS,K1600
  • City / Town: Herts
Re: Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by ColinN [+]
Hi, yes it's fine after a few seconds, but what sort of concerns me (as mentioned by another on the Forum), is that it only started doing it after about 4K miles. No new bikes do it, and none of the Dealer demo bikes do it. SO, is it just going to get worse and worse with miles, I ask myself?! I still think that it's an issue that needs addressing because of this.

Good points.

I'm sure Triumph will address the issues as it is a negative that can be eliminated but it will take some time to re-engineer. From their perspective it is a 'nice to do' and not a 'need to do' as per their letter of explanation.

Offline JulianinOttawa

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Kanata
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
The 1050 was well known for developing a cold start rattle - much more pronounced than that of your TEX.  My 1050 did this, it started at about 20K KMs got worse for a while them levelled off.  Entirely related to temperature, around zero or below it really clanked loudly for 20S or more!  Did it without missing a beat for 48K KM.  Lot's of theories what it was - but nothing ever confirmed.  Some thought it was slightly loose headers, others cam chain slap, other top end oil starvation.

It bothered me at first, but after 1000's KM of faultless performance I accepted it as a characteristic of the motor.

It is a characteristic of hydraulic tensioners to be loose on first start.  Now you have it logged with Mr T, don't be concerned.

:031:

Offline Phileas Fogg

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 FJR1300A
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 06:53:38 PM »
It's not just Triumphs that do it, I had a ZZR1400 and they do it as well. They have the same type of tensioner operation and the ZZR forum is full of posts about the start up noises some have even fitted different types of tensioner from other Kawasaki models whilst most just accept it as how it it is. I will leave mine as it is unless it breaks, and at the moment it sounds ok.
Sold the Tex and moved on.

Offline Rough guide

• Explorer Pro
  • Psychopaths just need a hug
  • Bike: TEX / Honda cx 500
  • City / Town: Norf
Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 07:22:01 PM »
Think it's time to put this to bed as only time will tell

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »
My blackbird was the same rattled like a goodun until the oil had benn thrown up into the tensioner then went quiet . It was only fixed when they sorted on a later model but at 4years old I had to buy and install luckily it was pretty easy
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline cdan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Yadkinville
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
This is addressed during the ten thousand mile service.  The cam chain stretches and requires re-timing of the cams, this is supposed to take care of the noise.

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Ride the TEX!
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Fremington
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
Yes, I know that's hopefully the case, but as Big T have now pushed the top end overhaul due at 10K to 20K, it'll be interesting to hear just how noisy my chain has got by then, as it's considerably worse now after 6K than it was at 3K!!! So, another 14K it'll be rattling like a can full of ball bearings!!!

Offline cdan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Yadkinville
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
That is exactly  how mine sounded.  I hope it is quiet when I pick it up.

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Ride the TEX!
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Fremington
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by cdan [+]
That is exactly  how mine sounded.  I hope it is quiet when I pick it up.

Keep me posted on that please, it'll be a big 'tell' !

Offline cymro

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Knypersley
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »
Noise/rattle on mine seems to come in mainly between 2 - 3000 revs. Dealer took a ride, says he can hear it but didn't think it was a problem. He then showed me a letter from Triumph similar to info on here.......not a prob according to that!

Recent Topics