Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!  (Read 15057 times)

Offline cdan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Yadkinville
Re: Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »
Picked mine up today, temp was 35-40 degrees F.  Engine started, no ball bearings in a tin can.  The 10K service made a BIG difference in the bike, throttle update was also good.  I hope everyone has this experience at this service. :305:

Offline iExplorer

• Explorer God
  • Coat Hanger
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 12:21:58 AM »
What did they do at 10K service?

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

“When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Offline cdan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Yadkinville
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
My dealer Frontline Eurosports, Salem, Va. checked everything on the bike adjusted everything called for in the 10k service and even changed the coolant.  The noise was stopped by adjusting the cams.  It seems that the cam chain stretches and that causes the cams to get out of adjustment.

Offline Phileas Fogg

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 FJR1300A
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
The thing is Triumph has advised that the cams are not adjusted until 20.000 miles so if you have had yours done at 10.000 miles that is not in line with the revised service schedule, so most people wont have theirs done. It's all a bit poor really when you think about it would the big Japanese companies have this sort of uncertainty ?
I really like the Tex but Triumph still have a long way to go to catch up with the Japanese in terms of being professional.
Sold the Tex and moved on.

Offline wolfexplorer

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Malvern
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
I was lead to believe it was only the valve clearances that were put off from 10k to 20k. I will find out more shortly though as my 10k is approaching fast.
Live life to the full and grab the opportunity around each corner

Offline Ylbill

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TIGER EXPLORER
  • City / Town: Rowlett, TEXAS
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 03:52:17 AM »
My 2013 TEX is less than 2 months old with a little over 5000 miles.  I've been reading the thread about the timing chain rattling at first start up. On my bike it does in fact go away within a few seconds so in that respect , Triumph's answer is plausible since the chain has a hydraulic tensioner.  What I'm not accepting is the the secondary noise that has been getting progressively louder at slow speeds.  Initially 1st gear in stop and go traffic at 2500 rpm engine rattles terribly and doesn't go away.  Tried in other gears , LOUD ticking/tapping sound persists and as a matter of fact gets louder.  Took bike to the shop on Thursday, test rode per my instructions and both sounds (initial rattle at start up and ticking sound at slow speeds) were immediately noticed.  This the 3rd time for the latter sound by the way. I was told initially the start up noise went away very quickly and they believe it is normal. They were concerned however at the ticking/rattle that persisted during their test ride.  After close inspection they believe it to be possibly a bad injector or set of injectors and or reed valves, I still think it has something to so with the timing chain which also means tensioner and rails.  They contacted Triumph by email and are waiting for their answer.   I'll keep everyone posted as to their findings.

Ylbill

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Ride the TEX!
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Fremington
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 07:15:51 AM »
This is turning into an interesting topic, with some very interesting posts.

Out of the blue, I've just received a letter from Big T (allbeit after I said I was not convinced by their reply concerning my concerns over the 'rattle', and the fact that they said it was representative of the engine in the TEX), offering to replace the tensioner as a matter of good will, and that they have absolute faith in their product.

Well, that's fine, and I appreciate the good will! BUT, if it's representative AND they have absolute faith in the product, why are they offering to replace it? Is it just good will? Maybe.

I know few bikes are perfect in all respects, and I still love just about everything about the TEX - it IS a great bike, great to ride, very comfortable on long and short journeys etc. etc. but I'd really like to find out if there is an underlying issue here?

Offline Olympus

• Explorer Master
  • If it has tits or tires there will be trouble
  • Bike: The best colour Blue
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by cdan [+]
My dealer Frontline Eurosports, Salem, Va. checked everything on the bike adjusted everything called for in the 10k service and even changed the coolant.  The noise was stopped by adjusting the cams.  It seems that the cam chain stretches and that causes the cams to get out of adjustment.
Why on earth was the coolant changed ....know doubt this was at your expense??
Some days your the pigeon & other days the statue

Offline james_uk9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Ex
  • City / Town: Barry
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
Try changing the oil, Mine rattled like a tin bin full of skeletons. I decided to do an oil change at 5200 miles and it got a whole lot quieter. I used Castrol Power 1 fully synthetic as recommended and its made a big difference to the audible ticking at 2-3k revs, a lot quieter at tickover too. I didnt bother changing the filter as I'm due the annual service on 11 December when the oil and filter will get changed again.

Offline Anthony1664

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 02:29:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ylbill [+]
My 2013 TEX is less than 2 months old with a little over 5000 miles.  I've been reading the thread about the timing chain rattling at first start up. On my bike it does in fact go away within a few seconds so in that respect , Triumph's answer is plausible since the chain has a hydraulic tensioner.  What I'm not accepting is the the secondary noise that has been getting progressively louder at slow speeds.  Initially 1st gear in stop and go traffic at 2500 rpm engine rattles terribly and doesn't go away.  Tried in other gears , LOUD ticking/tapping sound persists and as a matter of fact gets louder.  Took bike to the shop on Thursday, test rode per my instructions and both sounds (initial rattle at start up and ticking sound at slow speeds) were immediately noticed.  This the 3rd time for the latter sound by the way. I was told initially the start up noise went away very quickly and they believe it is normal. They were concerned however at the ticking/rattle that persisted during their test ride.  After close inspection they believe it to be possibly a bad injector or set of injectors and or reed valves, I still think it has something to so with the timing chain which also means tensioner and rails.  They contacted Triumph by email and are waiting for their answer.   I'll keep everyone posted as to their findings.

Ylbill

The ticking is what mine does and it's defiantly getting worse i also notice it more once hot, compared it to another Tex with nearly double the miles and has no tick. Going to set up some pro re or ding kit and make some recordings as my local dealer kinda brushed it off.
My real names Dave!

Recent Topics