Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!  (Read 14925 times)

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Ride the TEX!
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Fremington
Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
 :211:

For those of you who have been following the on-going Timing Chain rattle saga (you can listen to mine if you search my posts), this is the reply I've received from Triumph - and I quote directly from the letter:-

"We have been made aware of your concern by your dealer who has also provided a copy of the audio file. We have listened to the file and concluded that it is representative of the model. The Explorer engine employs a hydraulic chain tensioner which obviously requires oil pressure to maintain the tension on the cam chain, it is assisted by a spring but before the operating oil pressure is reached it may sound a bit noisy.

I appreciate you are concerned, but be rest assured there is nothing mechanically wrong with it's operation, and you are unlikely to experience any issues with it. Triumph employs the same component on several models, and has done for many years and ae very confident in it's operation.

I hope this response will address your concern; your motorcycle is covered by a unlimited two year warranty, and as long as the motorcycle is maintained as per the warranty terms and conditions, Triumph would be able to offer goodwill assistance outside of the two year period should it be required for a limited time."

Well I'm not sure if that puts my mind at rest or not with the "you are unlikely to experience any issues with it" bit!

I guess only time will tell, as it's still a fab bike to ride. :034:

Offline AusBiker

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
I think the info is good news. They would never say 'you'll never experience any issues with it forever no matter what...'

Offline iExplorer

• Explorer God
  • Coat Hanger
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Ride the TEX!
Re: Triumph's stand on Engine Noise!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »
Timing chain rattle - If you can search my old posts there's an audio file. Second thoughts, I'll attach here again so you can here it. :002:

Offline Badboybez

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Can you scan the letter and stick it up on here?

We can all print it then and stick it with our 'Service Books' for the future!  :156: :156: :156:
In Madness You Dwell

IBA Number:- 53026

Offline roundincircles

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: MTS,K1600
  • City / Town: Herts
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by ColinN [+]
:211:

For those of you who have been following the on-going Timing Chain rattle saga (you can listen to mine if you search my posts), this is the reply I've received from Triumph - and I quote directly from the letter:-

"We have been made aware of your concern by your dealer who has also provided a copy of the audio file. We have listened to the file and concluded that it is representative of the model. The Explorer engine employs a hydraulic chain tensioner which obviously requires oil pressure to maintain the tension on the cam chain, it is assisted by a spring but before the operating oil pressure is reached it may sound a bit noisy.

I appreciate you are concerned, but be rest assured there is nothing mechanically wrong with it's operation, and you are unlikely to experience any issues with it. Triumph employs the same component on several models, and has done for many years and ae very confident in it's operation.

I hope this response will address your concern; your motorcycle is covered by a unlimited two year warranty, and as long as the motorcycle is maintained as per the warranty terms and conditions, Triumph would be able to offer goodwill assistance outside of the two year period should it be required for a limited time."

Well I'm not sure if that puts my mind at rest or not with the "you are unlikely to experience any issues with it" bit!

I guess only time will tell, as it's still a fab bike to ride. :034:

That is a very positive and supportive reply. No one can grumble at Triumphs attitude.

I expect to see many riders wearing ear defenders on their helmets.

Offline Tigeralorange

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 3 of Triumphs Finest
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:55:38 PM »
Mmmmm, representative of the model? As I say on the other thread, if it's normal why don't all Explorers do it and from day one?

And if it's that loud that as reported it's noticed by folks standing someway from the bike then it's just not acceptable.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction of Trophy owners will be if they experience the problem because I'm sure that they won't be as tolerant as some of the guys on here are being.

The Trophy and Explorer are amongst Triumphs' flagship models and for the money they cost a rattling camchain just isn't on.

Offline stacka

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Mine's True Blue
  • City / Town: Canberra
Thanks heaps Colin. It is as I suspected and coming from Triumph regardless of what some others are thinking or saying, I do find it comforting and fwiw is exactly what has been mentioned by some previously in this mammoth thread. Btw, my dealer (who has done the Explorer training workshop and is a old and experienced mech') also said the same thing so for me, I'm putting this one to bed.

One last thing, I don't have the top end noise and whilst I'm not a mechanic, I have replaced several shims in my Speedmaster. O.K, It's only my hunch but I'm thinking the valve clearances of the noisier top ends whilst not sounding real flash, may just be at the looser end of their limits so eventually they'll be sorted when the shims required are replaced. I'm hoping so anyway but time will tell I guess.

For me now though, I too wear ear protection simply because I don't want to have to carry round those horns oldies put up to their ears to hear.  :745:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:37:07 AM by Stacka »
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." – Steve McQueen

Offline JulianinOttawa

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Kanata
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »
Coilin, just listened to your clip.  The noise that concerns you is the rattle that lasts for about 2 secs right after starting?  Triumph's explanation seems to address this.  Your bike sounds quiet once this goes.

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Ride the TEX!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by JulianinOttawa [+]
Coilin, just listened to your clip.  The noise that concerns you is the rattle that lasts for about 2 secs right after starting?  Triumph's explanation seems to address this.  Your bike sounds quiet once this goes.

Hi, yes it's fine after a few seconds, but what sort of concerns me (as mentioned by another on the Forum), is that it only started doing it after about 4K miles. No new bikes do it, and none of the Dealer demo bikes do it. SO, is it just going to get worse and worse with miles, I ask myself?! I still think that it's an issue that needs addressing because of this.

Recent Topics

nonskid