Poll

Are you Interested in an Aux tank?

No Interest, Why would you need one anyway?
38 (50%)
Yes, I'd like 3-4 extra gallons - its ok that I lose my pillion seat.
23 (30.3%)
Yes, I'd like 3-4 extra gallons - but I want to keep space for a pillion and lose my top box.
10 (13.2%)
Yes, take it to the Iron Butt limit of 6.5 gallons, lose the pillion and mount the top box to the tank.
5 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aux Fuel Tanks  (Read 18715 times)

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Aux Fuel Tanks
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:21:19 AM »
I'm going to be designing an AUX tank that will carry more fuel. I'm thinking I'll probably have several made, just curious if how much interest there is out there. I'm not sure on pricing, but I'm figuring in the $600 to $1500 range.

Thanks for your input,

Steve

Offline Pacific

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Victoria, BC
Re: Aux Fuel Tanks
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:27:11 AM »
At that price, for me, it would depend on how elegant a solution you come up with. Otherwise I'll just mount a 2-gallon Rotopax on one of my Jesse cases.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“ -- Mark Twain

Offline iExplorer

• Explorer God
  • Coat Hanger
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Aux Fuel Tanks
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:28:14 AM »
Good idea... What do you have in mind? Would be a good idea to have it made lockable in place of rear seat, molded, with spout and handle on top and flat so something could be strapped on top of it...well, it's just me...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Offline scottdc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer,Multistrada
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
Aux Fuel Tanks
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:35:16 AM »
I'm very interested, was just doing some research on this. Don't have my explorer quite yet but hoping to use it in some LD rallies as it'll be better than my 1050 for that. Would be sweet if it was a clean solution like the Tanji cell the FJR guys use, easy to add or remove from the bike.

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:40:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Pacific [+]
At that price, for me, it would depend on how elegant a solution you come up with. Otherwise I'll just mount a 2-gallon Rotopax on one of my Jesse cases.

I have no real idea what it would cost. But I'm basing my pricing on what I've seen other tanks go for.

As for elegance... Well I'm thinking of a tank that you can remove with just one tool (socket wrench) and have it on/off in about 2 minutes. If it needs a pump I'll have a good mount for the cockpit area, and it will look good. Might even have a backrest if it takes out the pillion seat. Shut off valve will possibly be powered, so flick of a switch.

*Originally Posted by iExplorer [+]
Good idea... What do you have in mind? Would be a good idea to have it made lockable in place of rear seat, molded, with spout and handle on top and flat so something could be strapped on top of it...well, it's just me...

Yes to all of that except molded. I have no experience making anything out of plastic, not sure what you'd need to keep stress points from tearing. Planning for aluminum.

*Originally Posted by scottdc [+]
I'm very interested, was just doing some research on this. Don't have my explorer quite yet but hoping to use it in some LD rallies as it'll be better than my 1050 for that. Would be sweet if it was a clean solution like the Tanji cell the FJR guys use, easy to add or remove from the bike.

Tanji's is the model for the larger one. The smaller one would be similar. Nice thing about the TEX is that it wont need drilling the main tank. Just plumb into the line that connects the two halves (or that's the plan anyway).

Offline Storm Badger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:44 AM »
Has anyone considered a cunning mounting for 2 of the 7.5l fuel tanks? http://www.rotopax.com/ I was thinking to mount on a custom bracket in place of the pillion seat. Just an idea!

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:21:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Storm Badger [+]
Has anyone considered a cunning mounting for 2 of the 7.5l fuel tanks? http://www.rotopax.com/ I was thinking to mount on a custom bracket in place of the pillion seat. Just an idea!

Sadly I need a permanently mounted tank. If you do Iron Butt style rally riding (and I do) it must be permanently affixed. Also I don't like having to stop to transfer fuel.

While my Versys is my primary rally bike, and I think it will stay that way, I've just gotten too used to being able to go 300+ miles without a stop.

But if you were just worried about getting out in the boonies... Rotopax work great.

Offline scottdc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer,Multistrada
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »
Is the pillion high enough for a gravity feed or do you think it'll require a pump?

Offline rayleon1

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Uxbridge
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
The tank size is a little low on what is meant to be an explorer bike but then most of my riding is in western europe where fuel stations aren't an issue, if i did need to carry more fuel then i'd probably strap a can onto the pillion seat.
Triumph Explorer
Kawasaki KLE500-A3
Honda XL600LMF

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
I'm part way through this exercise myself. I was waiting to have it done before posting anything but seeing as you've started....

New pillion seat with the padding removed - so tank can clip on / off for access to tools or to refit original seat for carrying pillion
Aluminium tank , about 16l, sits in front of aluminium top box.
Gravity feed with a manual tap feeding into the balance pipe between the front lobes of the tank and the back.
QD fuel line connector

As a bonus, if you disconnect the aux tank and plug in a drain hose, you can drain the main tank completely for servicing.
Should be together in a couple weeks, will post photos when its ready.

Mark

Recent Topics

nonskid