Poll

Are you Interested in an Aux tank?

No Interest, Why would you need one anyway?
38 (50%)
Yes, I'd like 3-4 extra gallons - its ok that I lose my pillion seat.
23 (30.3%)
Yes, I'd like 3-4 extra gallons - but I want to keep space for a pillion and lose my top box.
10 (13.2%)
Yes, take it to the Iron Butt limit of 6.5 gallons, lose the pillion and mount the top box to the tank.
5 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aux Fuel Tanks  (Read 18143 times)

Offline Regulator44

• Explorer Pro
  • Ride that thing Sally!!
  • Bike: '12 Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Saint Paul, MN
Re: Aux Fuel Tanks
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
DUCATIPARTS- I can't wait to see what you come up with. Here is a link to the Concours forum where I build an aux tank for my C14. It is a labor of love because it's not cheap to do if you do it right....

I go by motor659 on the Concours forum...

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,32047.msg154464.html#msg154464

Reg44
2012 Triumph Explorer "Goldy"

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:02:10 PM »
Interesting to see that most of the replies are from N America. I have a working 3.5 gallon rear seat replacement tank and gravity works just fine. I would be interested in your Tanji version.
I've given that some thought myself. 6.5 on the rear seat is large. If I were going to do the flat deck I would want to utilize the space over the rear luggage rack as well. It would do a lot to keep the profile down IMO.

Love to talk with you on this, I have some expereince with aux tanks and Dean is a friend of mine so if you are open to collaboration I'm up for it

Studley

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 07:51:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Studley [+]
Interesting to see that most of the replies are from N America. I have a working 3.5 gallon rear seat replacement tank and gravity works just fine. I would be interested in your Tanji version.
I've given that some thought myself. 6.5 on the rear seat is large. If I were going to do the flat deck I would want to utilize the space over the rear luggage rack as well. It would do a lot to keep the profile down IMO.

Love to talk with you on this, I have some expereince with aux tanks and Dean is a friend of mine so if you are open to collaboration I'm up for it

Studley

Studley, I'm working on a mockup and it does indeed go over the rear rack. Its about 4.5" high. Certainly open to collaboration, but I do hope to sell these at a small profit... To help fund further Tex Accessory ideas I have, so be aware.

Good to hear that gravity does work. I have yet to pull the main tank to look at the hoses. What size hose did you put between the aux and main tank? How long does it take to drain the aux?

*Originally Posted by ducatiparts.110mb [+]
New pillion seat with the padding removed - so tank can clip on / off for access to tools or to refit original seat for carrying pillion
Aluminium tank , about 16l, sits in front of aluminium top box.
Gravity feed with a manual tap feeding into the balance pipe between the front lobes of the tank and the back.
QD fuel line connector

Will be very interested in seeing what you have Mark! I to considered using the seat pan, but I think that goes against the IBR rules for permanently affixed tanks. Plus I'm worried that latch is not strong enough. I'll be interested to see what you get working!

Steve

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
Hey lonerockz, IIRC it was 5/16ths hose, T fitting and quick connect. I don't pay much attention to the flow after I see the gauge move but I think it moves 3.5 gal in more than 10 minutes and less than 20.

Love to see you mock-up. Are you building a base plate to affix the tank to or straight bolt to frame?  Excited to see your work. Please keep us in the loop

Studley

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »
I'm expecting it to go in the front mount points for the rear seat and use some of the grab rail bolt holes.

5/16th is a fairly small hose so its good to know it flows with that! Makes it a lot easier to route.

I do expect this to be a lengthy process... I'm riding in the Iron Butt Rally this summer and my prep for that is rather time consuming. No I will not be riding the Triumph in that. My trusty Versys will carry me through that.

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »
Couple of comments on flow. Head room is one factor, hose and connector ID's as well but, those are not the only issues to deal with. Dean's tank design (great) IIRC can have an issue with flow because of the heat from the FJR cylinders pressurizing the main tank. TEx tank is over the cylinder bank as well. It has insulation on the bottom but engine heat may still be a factor.

Good idea to run your Versys if you have a proven aux fuel solution. Butt is no place to try something new.

Studley

Offline Rockit

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Blue Explorer
  • City / Town: Belmar,NJ
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
Please put me on the list, I'm very interested. I really don't want anything that is big and bulky, looks bad and I have to worry about a fuel pump breaking down because it's after market.

I would like to keep the pillion and the top box. I would LOVE to see a tank alteration done. I'm sure that tank can be enlarged some to carry another 2 gallons. You know those plastic shrouds on the side of the tank...they should be made as part of the tank. I would like to see an exchange program where by you have a blue-black-grey tanks done in stock so there is no wait time and do an exchange.

I had a Honda Valkyrie....this company makes a fuel tank that fit under the bike between the engine and swing arm. It is first class and never had a problem. Did not alter the look of the bike or handling. http://rmworksinc.com/index.html

If you PM me I give you my personal contact information when you come up with something. If you do a tank modification I would gladdy give you a deposit.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:25:07 PM by Rockit »
Currently Own; 73 Condor A-350
74 S3 Kawasakii Triple-74 GT 750 Lemans
78 XS 650 Street Tracker 750 engine kit
79 XS 650 Standard 750 engine kit
06 Speed Triple-09 KLR 650-12 Explorer Full Factory Accessories-74 Trident T150-86 RG 500 Gamma

Offline Architect

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »
I am possibly interested, but in a solution that uses the pillion area only. Backrest is also a good idea. I run touratech side panniers and the Triumph powered top bax - I do not want to lose the top box because i use it all the time.

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
I really don't want anything that is big and bulky, looks bad and I have to worry about a fuel pump breaking down because it's after market.

I would like to keep the pillion and the top box. I would LOVE to see a tank alteration done. I'm sure that tank can be enlarged some to carry another 2 gallons. You know those plastic shrouds on the side of the tank...they should be made as part of the tank. I would like to see an exchange program where by you have a blue-black-grey tanks done in stock so there is no wait time and do an exchange.

I think you have to be realistic - if you put an additional tank of 3 - 4 gallons on the bike then it simply will be big and bulky, you can't get away from that. Whether it looks ugly is down to the beholder, but there is no way to make it go un-noticed.

If you use the pillion seat space or rear rack then there is no need for a pump - gravity will do everything you need.

If you plan to keep the pillion seat and top box then where do you expect to put the tank? The Valkyrie may well have a big hole in the middle, but if you can see one on the Triumph then you've bought a different bike to me.

I don't see how you expect the tank to be enlarged. The tank does extend down closely behind the plastic pieces you mention.

As for exchanging tanks then supposing that there is an invisible way to extend the tank, have you looked at how much they cost? I can't really see a business case holding up if I have to buy three tanks up front for exchanging - and what happens if yours arrives here with a scratch on it? You'll be happy because you'll get a new one back but the next guy will be somewhat pissed off....

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »
Rockit, I think its important that you get your dreams out there and let people know what they are. Hey if you don't ask you wont get!

That said... I doubt I'll be the guy to make you happy. A replacement tank is beyond my capability. And a program where people send me tanks for modification... would mean I'd be spending a lot of time dealing with that. While in my dreams I see this little endeavour as a launch pad for a small business... reality is that I will probably make a few tanks, sell them to a small number of people, make $0 on the enterprise and be done with it. I think that's the same thing that Dean Tanji experienced with his FJR tank. He made a few, and they are highly sought after by the Gen 1 FJR guys, people are making new tanks for the gen 2 FJR, but he no longer deals with it. (I really should talk to him...).

On another topic...

I'm always curious as to why people don't like fuel pumps. The fuel pump that I use on my Versys does not stop fuel low when its not on. If it fails to pump gravity still works (it might restrict flow some). It seems like people think if the pump fails to work no fuel will flow. So why not add pump to deal with times when gravity is not in your favor, like vapor locks and going up hills? Or to speed fuel delivery to the front tank? I plan on making my tank so that there is space for a pump, so that I have those options. But I'm thinking people wont have to buy it if they dont want to (assuming it really does flow with gravity alone).

Steve

Recent Topics

nonskid