Poll

Are you Interested in an Aux tank?

No Interest, Why would you need one anyway?
38 (50%)
Yes, I'd like 3-4 extra gallons - its ok that I lose my pillion seat.
23 (30.3%)
Yes, I'd like 3-4 extra gallons - but I want to keep space for a pillion and lose my top box.
10 (13.2%)
Yes, take it to the Iron Butt limit of 6.5 gallons, lose the pillion and mount the top box to the tank.
5 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aux Fuel Tanks  (Read 18716 times)

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Re: Aux Fuel Tanks
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »
Here is a link to the design files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OCbkVtZRMkC4FA-xx6crYxRWjMTQusrD?usp=sharing

The file "combinedcut V3.dwg" could be taken to someone with a waterjet cutter and used to cut a sheet of aluminum and it would make all the pieces necessary to build my tank except the top and bottom rails.

I used a piece of scrap aluminum I found a metal recycler. I think it was ~1/8" thick, so pretty beefy.

The top luggage rails were cut from a section 4" x 2" x 0.15" 6061-T6 Extruded Channel Aluminum: https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=14670&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1008&top_cat=60

The bottom rails were cut from  6061-T6 Channel ALUMINUM ASSOCIATION 2" x 1" x 0.13"

Filler neck: Aluminum 6061-T6 Bare Extruded Tube 2" x 0.125" x 1.75"

The SolidWorks files may have cutting instructions for a Tormach CNC mill. If some one really wants them I can make sure. (I'm at work, don't have access to solid works right now.)

Looks like Coyote-Gear no longer makes my filler cap. But you might be able to use this:
https://coyotegear.com/aluminum-weld-on-filler-neck-and-diesel-vented-brass-cap-kit.html

Steve

Offline Traxx

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Fort Worth
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2018, 05:36:11 PM »
Looks good lonerockz, and glad to hear that it has worked well for so long.
Tread lightly my friends.

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2018, 06:40:01 PM »
I am probably going to sell my tank if anyone is interested. It fits on the original TEX, no idea if it fits on newer models.

I no longer rally and may end up selling the Tex soon, as I'm switching to lighter weight touring.

Offline Traxx

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Fort Worth
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2018, 10:30:53 PM »
I guess if the price is right, I may be interested. What year is it on? I am thinking that it can be adapted to 2nd gen if it doesn't already fit.
Tread lightly my friends.

Offline lonerockz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2018, 04:59:21 PM »
It's on a 2012. So that's a Gen 1 bike. PM me an offer. BTW, if you were to have it built for you it would cost:

Aluminum: $150
Parts & Plumbing: $200
Water Jet Cutting: $150
Welding: $320

I'm not looking to get anywhere near that. But also want you to know what you might spend to do it yourself.

But then again you may have issues with the fit on a 2017.

Recent Topics

nonskid