Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A Quick Introduction  (Read 2579 times)

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
A Quick Introduction
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:27:09 PM »
About 6 years ago I started stripping the occasional bike for spares and buying the odd job lot. Initially it was mostly about keeping my own bikes on the road cheaply and selling what I didn’t need to recoup my costs. Over the years it has grown into a nice slideline to the day job. When I started out my interest was in Ducatis, hence my username (and ebay seller name), but over the years I’ve stripped a few others including an Aprilia and most recently my R1150GS that I couldn’t sell whole for a sensible price.

To broaden my horizons I’ve been making service tools for a while now. The current range is all Ducati – valve shim measuring tools, cylinder head spanners and single sided rear wheel balancing fixtures and I’m currently adding BMW single sided rear wheel balancing fixtures to that.

Most recently I’ve written a Service Manual for the Triumph Explorer, based on a 40,000 mile service of my own bike. The manual is available through this forum, and the intention is to offer the complete set of service tools required to service the bike at a fraction of the Triumph factory cost. If there’s interest then I’ll also do rear wheel balancing fixtures and stainless steel bolt kits for the Explorer and I’m open to suggestion for other machined parts that may be useful.

Cheers,
Mark

Online moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Re: A Quick Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
40K  :005: :005: :005:

Do you have a rolling road or something :020:

Welcome as a sponsor by the way and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

• Forum Sponsor
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
No, my 2,500 mile bike has had a 40,000 mile service for the sake of the manual. 

I wish I had the time to rack up 40,000 miles. :008:

Mark

Offline Rene48

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Haaksbergen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »
Hi Mark

Very interested in the engine special tools for the Tex and rear wheel balancing fixtures
Also for a Ducatie Monster1100 the rear wheel balancing fixtures

Regards René

Offline dabber

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer/BMW F800R
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:44:12 AM »
Stainless bolt kits I am sure would create a lot of intrest :152:

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »
They might well indeed

Studley

• Forum Sponsor
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 08:43:55 PM »
At the moment I'm struggling to find time to get things finished. Stainless Steel bolt kits are likely to follow but I'd like to get the service tools underway first. I'm about to start making the first batch of 10 sets of Triumph service tools, but am also making shim measuring tools for Ducatis and am working on another manual (Honda NC700) which is taking most of my time. I also have three or four almost complete foglight kits & light bars for the R1150GS that just need a bit of finishing off. I'd like to knock out a few wheel balancing fixtures but they're pretty time consuming to make and I don't want to start another job that'll sit on a shelf 3/4 finished. If only I could kick the day job then I'd get things done a bit quicker.....

Offline SvenskTiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Blue Explorer
  • City / Town: Borensberg
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »
I finally ordered the service manual tonight, on eBay. I was going to do it as soon as it was released, but forgot  :112:

Recent Topics